Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contractors in the East Midlands have developed a habit of closing roads in the evening. The other night I was unable to reach either my first choice rapid location (Shardlow) or my second choice (Castle Donnington) due to road closures. I ended up on the A42 with no exits until Ashby. The battery was depleted and the fuel gage was showing empty by the time I reached a petrol station which was quite a significant detour from the original plan. It was a close run thing on bingo fuel, and had I been in a BEV I am convinced I would have been stranded.
I think this has taught me to have more fuel in the tank even if I am planning a EV only trip, but what else can I learn from this?
I could have spent half an hour planning the trip (it was only supposed to be around 40 miles) looking for road work notices. I should have had a bigger reserve - in a BEV this would mean more frequent stops. A satnav might have helped. Any recomendations?

·
SU-EV convert
Jaguar iPace 2020
375 Posts
Google maps navigation is often up-to-date with road closures in my limited experience....

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Always a risk with an EV. We came off the M5 at the Tiverton exit a few weeks back to charge only to find the entrance back onto the motorway closed. There were no signs saying that we couldn't get back on. In the end I had to return to the charger to get more charge to allow me to comfortably do the diversion to Exeter.

·
Registered
216 Posts
M62 is the same. Night closures around Leeds, Hull and also Manchester, starting as early as 6pm in my experience. We nearly got stuck on the way to Hull from Chatsworth House last Friday evening, as the M62 was closed between J36 & 37. Google maps to the rescue, although credit to the Leaf navigation system for warning about disruption on the route.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts