Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering buying a 66 plate i3 Rex and I was told by someone that it was now subject to VED. Can someone confirm if this is the case please?
I understood that if the car was first registered before 1st Apr ‘17 it would never have to pay VED but if it was registered after 1st Apr ‘17, it was zero for the first year, £130 for the second year and £265 for the third!
Can anyone shed any light on this?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
34,790 Posts
You are correct.

VED £0 rated.

The new rate only applies to new cars. When you go to register it will simply allow you the £0 option.

Whether it will be £0 rated for ever and you will 'never have to pay', that is only a question a treasury politician would be able to answer in the future. For now there are no plans to change it.

An electric car is slightly different. Electric cars are 'exempt' not 'Band A'. As they are exempt now, it should require retrospective legislation [not unprecedented, but constitutionally difficult] to bring them into the VED system. Whereas 'Band A' might simply be moved from £0 to £[something] later on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.