Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll soon be taking a holiday, from Nottingham to (firstly) the Yorkshire National Park and then Grange over Sands (with day trips to Lake District).

I estimate 450 to 500 miles max.

I want to take the Ampera on the basis of lower fuel costs, but also because I want to test its practicality for EV motoring. Although the journey there and back will be well outside of the battery range, I will be able to get free electricity:
  • At Meadowhall on way up (if only 10 miles)
  • At the hotel in Yorkshire (courtesy of ZCW)
  • At the caravan site (13a cable from caravan plugs)
  • At my mother's house on the journey back down (20 miles range)
My wife wants to take the Ford Kuga which will offer a bigger boot, AWD and we don't own it so not worried about mileage and wear & tear. The Kuga does 40mpg so even if I am using petrol on a big chunk of the Ampera's journey, it's STILL cheaper. I estimate £60 to £70 saving on fuel costs over the week.

I realise this isn't an impartial forum to be asking it on....but which is the better choice?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sounds like a great holiday you've got planned there.

I think the choice comes down to the basic question, do you need the bigger boot? If you do, take the Kuga. If you don't, then I can't see any reason why you'd pay the extra fuel charges and leave the Ampera behind.

The fact that the first 40-50 miles each day is effectively free motoring makes the Ampera seem like a fantastic option, and may well cover you for most days out.

Also, I spotted that the charging points in York are now 15p/kw, so with York being a lovely city, a day out there with the car charging whilst you mosey around would be quite tempting too.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
York is out of the way from where we're going..but I have been there a few times so worth noting for future. It is a shame the Ampera doesn't have rapid charging or it would be a COMPLETE no brainer. The problem is my wife tends to pack the kitchen sink, so I guess the final decision will be made when it comes to packing the boot.

My estimate is that around 250 miles would have to be made on nasty petrol in the Ampera.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It is a shame the Ampera doesn't have rapid charging or it would be a COMPLETE no brainer.
Yeah, at a maximum charge rate of the equivalent of 10 miles per hour, or 5 miles per hour on 13A plug, charging on route isn't a viable option unless you're stopping somewhere for other reasons :-(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts