Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Leaf 40 and Zoe ZE50
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are very new to EV's and definitely long distance travelling in one. We are looking to drive up to Scotland to visit the in-laws - once lockdown restrictions have been relaxed, of course.

We have just taken delivery of a Zoe ZE50 (with Rapid Charging) and appreciate that it will take longer to get up there than it did in our previous ICE car and are expecting at least 4 stops on the way for charging.

This may sound like a very silly question, but will the electric engine be able to cope with a 530 mile journey all in one go?

Your advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The only potential issue is the slow down of charging speed after multiple rapid charges, it's an issue for some cars and not others.

I've no experience with the ZE50, but 'TeslaBjorn' is the best source of real world long distance trip reviews;

Spoiler: It's not an issue. Although with a max charge speed of 45kW the charging stops may become a little tedious!

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
1,222 Posts
My wife and I are very new to EV's and definitely long distance travelling in one. We are looking to drive up to Scotland to visit the in-laws - once lockdown restrictions have been relaxed, of course.

We have just taken delivery of a Zoe ZE50 (with Rapid Charging) and appreciate that it will take longer to get up there than it did in our previous ICE car and are expecting at least 4 stops on the way for charging.

This may sound like a very silly question, but will the electric engine be able to cope with a 530 mile journey all in one go?

Your advice would be much appreciated.
Whilst I’ve no experience of the Zoe, I’m 99.999% certain the motor will be absolutely fine.

If you aren’t already familiar with it, familiarise yourself with abetterrouteplanner.com

·
Registered
741 Posts
I’ve done a little over 1000 miles in 24 hours in a 30kWh LEAF before powered purely on rapid charging. The battery got hot and charging got a little slower close to the end, but the car was absolutely fine. Definitely capable, and no need to worry about that.

Remember that the new Zoe uses CCS for rapid charging. Don’t rely on being able to charge at the motorway services as the Ecotricity chargers there are typically very poor in terms of CCS Reliability. Try to plan your route with other, more reliable options from the likes of Instavolt at chargers located a short distance from the motorway.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Don’t rely on being able to charge at the motorway services as the Ecotricity chargers there are typically very poor in terms of CCS Reliability. Try to plan your route with other, more reliable options from the likes of Instavolt at chargers located a short distance from the motorway.
Cannot emphasise this enough.

You'd like to think that EV charging at motorway services is an easy and pleasant experience - however thanks to a poisonous Ecotricity monopoly it's anything but, and the only reliable charging experiences are off motorway, with Instavolt, Ionity & some multi-station Polar points. (there are others too which are fine, but these are the easiest three)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Not got my ZE50 yet, but my previous two Zoe's have had no issue with long trips using Rapid charging, I'm very confident the ZE50 will be the same, Zoe charges faster at high temps anyway. Below rapid AC charge on ZE40 temp of pack was 35 degrees.

Screenshot_20191021-140457.png

·
Registered
66 Posts
Do you plan to do it in a day? It would be a long day with charging stops.

You might want consider overnighting somewhere (Lake District?) with a charger, so you can get one charge while you sleep.

·
Registered
Leaf 40 and Zoe ZE50
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all so much for your feedback, it is very much appreciated.

We do plan to do it in a day and have done the trip many times before like that, just in an ICE car....we are very early risers normally leaving at 3am in the morning and just taking it at a leisurely pace, but take the point about maybe overnighting half way up......especially in the Lake District, which we love going to.

We will definitely look at charging points off the motorway and both ZapMap and abetterrouteplanner are showing plenty like that along the route.

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,865 Posts
Last week I did a 520 mile trip from London to the Eden Project and back. Left at 4am and got back home at 11pm, with a 3 hour stay at the destination. This was in a ZE40.

·
Registered
189 Posts
expecting at least 4 stops on the way for charging.
You should quite easily be able to do this run with 3 charge stops, dependent on how long you want to stay at each obviously. That's with a range of 200 miles per charge, which is doable if you take it easy I would think. (Anyone please correct me if I'm not quite correct).
'TeslaBjorn' is the best source of real world long distance trip reviews
Bjorns 1000km challenges are definitely worth watching. Might get some tips as well! If you do watch it don't forget he took this challenge in winter so range was lower because of the cold weather (and he does sometimes 'hammer' it).

·
2,865 Posts
That's with a range of 200 miles per charge, which is doable if you take it easy I would think.
If you drive at around 60mph, you should get 4mpkWh in summer. So 200 miles would be your 100 to 0% range! Better to aim for 120 miles between charging stops. That way you would be charging from 20% to 80% (adding 30kW) and would maximise charging speed.

I had to stop 6 times to do my trip. But I had a smaller battery and slower charging capability. I’m looking forward to trying the same journey in a ZE50.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,950 Posts
1. Don't do it in one go. Not good for your health even if they car can do it.

2. Ccs you'll want to avoid ecotricity, so enjoy driving up the coast instead of motorway network.

3. Make sure you know your lockdown. Scotland has a very different process coming out of lockdown.

4. Don't come to Scotland expecting it all to be amazing chargers and free. Chargers are generally starting to get old and flakey, and you also pay at many of then now.

Reactions: Dion Rust and E7EV

·
Registered
189 Posts
You would need to drive at a speed which would enable you to achieve 4mpkWh
Yup, it is difficult trying to guesstimate things without having the car (only 3 weeks to wait hopefully). Watching through Bjorns video again I can't see any reference to his kmpkWh, not sure if there's a way of working it out at all. What's the average current owners are getting at the moment?

·
2,865 Posts
Yup, it is difficult trying to guesstimate things without having the car (only 3 weeks to wait hopefully). Watching through Bjorns video again I can't see any reference to his kmpkWh, not sure if there's a way of working it out at all. What's the average current owners are getting at the moment?
In the current warm weather, I can easily get over 5.5mpkWh around town. But once you take it on the motorway that figure plummets. When I went to Cornwall I got 3.8mpkWh. That was due to speed, some rain and the hills in Devon and Cornwall!

Reactions: Dion Rust

·
2,865 Posts
4D9AE4E6-7B2B-4B60-8B03-8513820AE331.png

·
2,865 Posts
That way you would be charging from 20% to 80% (adding 30kW) and would maximise charging speed.
20 to 80% takes 47 minutes and adds 32kW according to Bjorn’s video.

·
had an R240, got an R90, might get a ZE50
491 Posts
The Nissan Leaf does not have battery cooling but all Renault Zoe do. Hence you can ignore the previews posts on battery temperature.
Scotland is well supplied with chargers compared to England, get a Chargepoint Scotland card. There are lots of chargers in Perth.
The chargerate will depend on battery temperature ( the warmer the better) and state of charge (faster at low SOC). The characteristics of the 20 kWh and 40 kWh batteries are well known and available in graph form but not a lot on the 50 afaik.

As a general rule make sure you have enough charge to get to the charger after the one you are heading for, and although CCS can be temperamental you still have a 22kW AC option which you may find very useful.Sticking to 60 mph will use less much energy compared to 65+, but with CCS your charge times may be short enough to allow you a bit more speed.

Edit .... additionally ...
I should have added the spreadsheet is courtesy of @yoh-there

My longest trip has been to Fort William from home, 420 miles, but my car is max charge rate of 22kW, your CCS will give an advantage.
You're almost sure to hit a busy charger or non working charger so leave extra margin.
Plan charge stops at nice places where you can eat, although very few exist.

·
2,865 Posts
I think we’re all getting more excited about this trip than the OP 🤣

·
Registered
15,859 Posts
I did 242 miles on a single charge in one go yesterday - it was almost 6 hours straight of driving.

Not going to be a problem so long as you select a reliable charger.

·
Registered
Leaf 40 and Zoe ZE50
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks very much for all your comments and feedback.

We are very much looking forward to going up north, when it becomes possible to do so, especially in the Zoe as we absolutely love the car.

It has made driving enjoyable again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts