Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow EV drivers and enthusiasts.

I originally had a longer trip planned, but amidst the current pandemic we were fortunate to be able to go at all, and decided not to visit friends in the south of France or Disney for the daughter's birthday.

TL;DR: Road trips in the Model 3 SR+ are super easy and very enjoyable! And the SR+ did great in the Autobahn!

We departed Aberdeenshire towards Frankfurt at 7am on Friday 03/July, 1000 miles ahead of us. The sensible thing to do was to drive to SE England, spend the night and cross the channel the next day, but by then hotels were not open to the general public and I think even camping was not allowed in the UK. So I decided to cross in the Eurotunnel and try to make it to Frankfurt in one go, backup plan was to get a hotel once in Europe if I felt tired. Turns out we did it in one go, 21 hours door to door and I wasn't feeling tired at all.

A better route planner had predicted 20 hours for the whole journey, we did it in 21. If you consider that it was raining in Scotland, I did an unnecessary charging stop at Gretna Green, didn't charge enough at Folkestone because it was time to go to passport control, there was a bit of wait to get in the train and drove slower than 130 km/h after the last charge to arrive with a bit more battery at the destination since I didn't have where to plug in there, I think ABRP did a great job in planning the trip.

Now the Autobahn. What a delight! The SR+ has plenty of power to play around at high speeds, and reaches the speed limit of 226 km/h (140 mph) with low effort. Just a note, the Tesla dashcam videos at high speeds look very underwhelming, specially if you are not passing any other vehicles. :)

It felt like the Tesla navigation expects you to drive at 130 km/h in the Autobahn for consumption estimate purposes, but with a mix of no speed limit, limited speed and roadworks stretches, the arrival SoC would always increase during a trip within Germany.

On the way back we spent the night near Grantham and did it in 2 parts, although I did consider driving straight up to Scotland in one go, but had already paid for the hotel.

So overall we drove 3600 miles in 2 weeks (1000 miles each way and 1600 :oops: in Germany). Used Autopilot every chance I had, performed flawlessly!
Total charging costs: £269
Cost per mile: £0.075
Consumption was pretty much steady at 275 Wh/mi. That's for myself, wife, daughter, large teddy bear struggling for headroom in the back seat and packed boot and froot on OEM 18" tyres without aero caps.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was great! The Supercharger Network and Autopilot are amazing assets, and the car performed really well at high speeds.

I did a couple of top speed runs by myself, but I was comfortable driving with the family at 180km/h.

·
EGGY
1,130 Posts
Glad it went well, after I got back I found this site through here which is useful:

He's using the Tesla Bjorn philosophy of drive fast, stop often, charge fast. Recent Taycan trip to Berlin a point in case.

Thinking of going back to Varigotti in September

Reactions: Paulo
1 - 4 of 4 Posts