Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a 574 mile pretty much non stop road trip from Vegas to LA and back.
Had to rely on public fast charging, of course.
It went pretty good ... until ...
I documented the trip in this video:

·
Registered
Kona64
1,436 Posts
Thank you for your post. These experiences are very interesting to hear about.

Which tool(s) do you use in the USA for pre working out where to stop to charge ?

Reactions: esprit1st

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use Plugshare to find chargers and check if they are working. Abetterrouteplanner.com for planning purposes. I also have an OBD2 dongle in my car to log data and have it hooked up to ABRP so it can predict take and consumption in real time.

I made a video about the install of ABRP. (I am planning on doing a new one since they updated the interface)

·
Registered
Kona64
1,436 Posts
I use plugshare to mostly register using-it-now (or waiting to do so ) - it's compulsory at the business park I used to frequent pre-mid-march. Very useful tool.

I did a 4 city 190mile road trip yesterday pm and got home with 26% left and no sweat, despite making "quite good progress".
Didn't bother planning to recharge as I wanted to move the passengers as quickly as possible between places.
Didn't need to bother due the lovely big range of the Kona64.

One stop was for 3hours by Battersea Power Station ( Pink Floyd fans - yes it still has the 4 chimneys ]
This morning I checked back on the Shell petrol station that I had parked 100meters from, just for future ref in case it had a recharge post.
Slightly narked to find that not only it had, but is one of the very very few 100kw CCS in London ....
Half of me feels I lost out, half of me feels So What, You've A Kona.
#FirstWorldIssues

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
467 Posts
I use Plugshare to find chargers and check if they are working. Abetterrouteplanner.com for planning purposes. I also have an OBD2 dongle in my car to log data and have it hooked up to ABRP so it can predict take and consumption in real time.

I made a video about the install of ABRP. (I am planning on doing a new one since they updated the interface)
Nothing, but nothing beats ABRP for planning...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I really dont understand you guys. I live in a country where DCFC is still scarce and yet i dont feel the necessity to plan ahead of time where i might charge. One of the huge advantages of having a large battery. Overplanning just takes the fun out of any leisure trip.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I really dont understand you guys. I live in a country where DCFC is still scarce and yet i dont feel the necessity to plan ahead of time where i might charge. One of the huge advantages of having a large battery. Overplanning just takes the fun out of any leisure trip.
Oh I don't know. Some of us nerds are like Hannibal from the A-Team. We love it when a plan comes together. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Everybody loves that, but maybe the plan content should change. Like... “what amazing little village / building / landscape that i’ve never seen before will i gaze upon today thanks to my awesome EV?” instead of “if i take this little detour i will lose 3.41 % charge... so NO” :D

·
Registered
Kona64
1,436 Posts
"Little detour " .... I am itching to get back to a campsite in the Swiss/Italian valley next to a certain mountain park called " Stelvio".
ABRP is fantastic for a Sunday eve with a cuppa and a dream on the bucket list.......

·
Registered
31 Posts
Been to Stelvio, loved it, but i love my local stelvios even more (Transfagarasan and Transalpina). A must drive for any enthusiast. Been there 5 times this year already lol (even though one is 300 km away and the other 430 km).

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
467 Posts
You said it - leisure is one thing.

But when you are against the clock that can be something else. Getting a plan A with a decent backup plan B can reduce a lot of potential pain.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I made another road trip video about our move from Las Vegas to Albuquerque, NM.
It includes a stretch of 250 miles without a DC quick charge.
Also it was just before Electrify America decided to change to kWh based pricing (where possible) so I'm including a price comparison before and after the price change.
Let me know your thoughts and input.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,436 Posts
Thankyou -- these are useful stories not only about the Kona, but also the USA experience.
Potentially in 2021 some non USA people may be over there and hire car companies might be using BEVs more, and so learning about ElectrifyAmerica for example, and the phone-app-planning tools you like using make interesting reading.
Keep us posted about your experiences !

Reactions: esprit1st
1 - 14 of 14 Posts