Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the UK do we get roadside assistance included/free when you buy the car? When we picked up the car today I thought the sales person said we did. However my wife thinks otherwise.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
590 Posts
From one of the brochures:

VOLKSWAGEN ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE Every new car is registered for Volkswagen Roadside Assistance for one year except the ID.3 which is registered for three years. This provides vehicle roadside and home recovery in the unlikely event of a breakdown in the UK and Europe (subject to conditions). Volkswagen Roadside Assistance can also be purchased for subsequent years.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
When I purchased my two month old 2015 X Demo GTE it came with three years AA breakdown cover, plus because it was sold as Das Welt Auto car it also came with a twelve months cover !.
The dealer told me you are now covered for four years !.
I doubted this, but rang the AA a few weeks later and yes, I was covered for four years !.
I never argued the fact, just thank them and hung up !.
I have no idea how that came about, but three years is the common level of cover.
Word of caution on manufactures supplying break down cover for free !.
Check the LEVEL of cover you are getting very carefully is my advice.
Some only provide “Road Side Assistance” as standard.
This is the cheapest and most basic type of cover, it will not provide flat bed recovery or onward journey cover or attending a problem at your home address !.
So if your 12 volt battery dies, they will not attend at home.
Also, you have to break down more than a quarter of a mile from your home address as well !.
Some will not attend a puncture unless you have a suitable spare wheel for them to switch out, when they arrive.
Like most things in life, you never know just how good or bad they are until you try to use them.
My EV came with so called “Free” break down cover with the A.A. and is renewed every year for “Free” when I offer the car up for service at the main agents.
But the cover is extremely basic and really not worth a great deal.
I have added a high level of cover through my car insurance under a “Deal”.
Not cheap, but hopefully better than the basic cover.
My extensive break down cover is almost as expensive as my car insurance at my age !.
Check what and what not, you are covered for folks !.
No good when you are stuck on the side of the road, with an agent from the break down company wanting you to pay for an expensive upgrade at the side of the road before he / she will send somebody out !.

·
Registered
590 Posts
VW Roadside assistance seems to have the top-level cover from the AA, including home start, recovery to anywhere you need & European cover - Volkswagen Roadside Assistance | Volkswagen UK

That page seems to have not been updated for the ID.3 yet as it doesn't call out the 3 year cover, but the ID.3 blurb elsewhere does confirm it's covered for 3 years.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,027 Posts
When I purchased my two month old 2015 X Demo GTE it came with three years AA breakdown cover, plus because it was sold as Das Welt Auto car it also came with a twelve months cover !.
The dealer told me you are now covered for four years !.
I doubted this, but rang the AA a few weeks later and yes, I was covered for four years !.
I never argued the fact, just thank them and hung up !.
I have no idea how that came about, but three years is the common level of cover.
Word of caution on manufactures supplying break down cover for free !.
Check the LEVEL of cover you are getting very carefully is my advice.
Some only provide “Road Side Assistance” as standard.
This is the cheapest and most basic type of cover, it will not provide flat bed recovery or onward journey cover or attending a problem at your home address !.
So if your 12 volt battery dies, they will not attend at home.
Also, you have to break down more than a quarter of a mile from your home address as well !.
Some will not attend a puncture unless you have a suitable spare wheel for them to switch out, when they arrive.
Like most things in life, you never know just how good or bad they are until you try to use them.
My EV came with so called “Free” break down cover with the A.A. and is renewed every year for “Free” when I offer the car up for service at the main agents.
But the cover is extremely basic and really not worth a great deal.
I have added a high level of cover through my car insurance under a “Deal”.
Not cheap, but hopefully better than the basic cover.
My extensive break down cover is almost as expensive as my car insurance at my age !.
Check what and what not, you are covered for folks !.
No good when you are stuck on the side of the road, with an agent from the break down company wanting you to pay for an expensive upgrade at the side of the road before he / she will send somebody out !.
LV insurance policies for electric vehicles include flatbed recovery to the nearest charger without counting it as a claim. So I bought the policy (which was competitive anyway) but have not tried it out, of course.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
LV insurance policies for electric vehicles include flatbed recovery to the nearest charger without counting it as a claim. So I bought the policy (which was competitive anyway) but have not tried it out, of course.
Hi Tom - I was with LV for my EV cover last year.
The break down cover is supplied by "Britannia Rescue" group.
L.V. have very cleverly targeted the EV owners last year with this type of policy.
I found it a little difficult finding a good choice of EV cover last December for my EV.
My present company did not even show cover for the ZS EV at the time !.
The choice on the big on line search engines where a little limited as well.
When I received my renewal quote for L.V. this year I was a little shocked and both annoyed to say the least.
I had some type of crazy idea that due to the whole C19 situation and the general use of peoples cars, that the renewal would be the same or even cheaper in some respects ?.
I know a few insurance companies had been handing out either refunds or discounts on this year policy IF you renewed with the same company.
Not sadly in the case of L.V. - Oh no, instead they increased my premium by another £85.00 !!!!.
What a bloody check !.
A little unfair when you consider that last years premium was based / priced over covering twelve months of driving, well we all know how that ended.
There is NO WAY that the insurance companies have paid out the expected level of claims over the last twelve months surely ?.
L.V. even had the cheek to say that they would "Auto Renew" my policy unless I contacted them !.
I will not go into detail on how THAT conversation went over the phone, just to say I did not renew with them for this coming year !.
I find a lot of car insurance companies will do this now, offer you a reasonable deal for the first year, then hike your premium there after, regardless.
The new cover I found on a like - for - like basis, saved me £90.
This will also necessitate another move of insurance companies next year, I have no doubt what so ever.
Loyalty is never rewarded when it comes to insurance companies.
I am a firm believe that the "System's" that generates the renewal quotes, already have a built in percentage / value increase preset into the quotation year on year.
Move or pay the increase, is the name of the game I guess.
I was unable to rate the break down cover which L.V. provided, which I have to say I am really really happy with.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
3,027 Posts
Hi Tom - I was with LV for my EV cover last year.
The break down cover is supplied by "Britannia Rescue" group.
L.V. have very cleverly targeted the EV owners last year with this type of policy.
I found it a little difficult finding a good choice of EV cover last December for my EV.
My present company did not even show cover for the ZS EV at the time !.
The choice on the big on line search engines where a little limited as well.
When I received my renewal quote for L.V. this year I was a little shocked and both annoyed to say the least.
I had some type of crazy idea that due to the whole C19 situation and the general use of peoples cars, that the renewal would be the same or even cheaper in some respects ?.
I know a few insurance companies had been handing out either refunds or discounts on this year policy IF you renewed with the same company.
Not sadly in the case of L.V. - Oh no, instead they increased my premium by another £85.00 !!!!.
What a bloody check !.
A little unfair when you consider that last years premium was based / priced over covering twelve months of driving, well we all know how that ended.
There is NO WAY that the insurance companies have paid out the expected level of claims over the last twelve months surely ?.
L.V. even had the cheek to say that they would "Auto Renew" my policy unless I contacted them !.
I will not go into detail on how THAT conversation went over the phone, just to say I did not renew with them for this coming year !.
I find a lot of car insurance companies will do this now, offer you a reasonable deal for the first year, then hike your premium there after, regardless.
The new cover I found on a like - for - like basis, saved me £90.
This will also necessitate another move of insurance companies next year, I have no doubt what so ever.
I am a firm believe that the "System's" that generates the renewal quotes, already have a built in percentage / value increase preset into the quotation year on year.
Move or pay the increase, is the name of the game I guess.
I was unable to rate the break down cover which L.V. provided, which I have to say I am really really happy with.
I think that you are right about not accepting anyone's renewal quote.
As a member of the IAM, I have used Cornmarket, their insurers for many years. There's a clause in the IAM agreement with Cornmarket that says they will match any equivalent quote that you find. So every year I have done my search of the comparison sites and shown the results to Cornmarket. And they have matched the price. They have given me good service over the years so I was happy.

Once I decided to get an ID3, I was staggered to discover that they would not insure it at all!

So off I went. They'll likely loose my house insurance too in due course.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Once I decided to get an ID3, I was staggered to discover that they would not insure it at all!
That was the problem I encountered !.
My previous insurance company explained that their data base for new car premiums only update once a month.
I was enquiring for a quote in late December 2019 - ready for collection of my new car at the start of January 2020.
The advisor said I would have to wait until January 2020 to see if my new car had made it onto the data base, then they would be able to provide a quote.
This is why I switched over to L.V. because they had the EV thing already set up.
In 2020 the other companies have had time to catch up and this year is a different picture, on a quick single search I had over 80 companies offer me a EV quote.
House insurance is the very same situation I find, stick with them and they will continue to increase the premium every single year regardless.
We receive a reminder about a month before the policy expires and only then do we consider looking for a cheaper quote, then it slips or mind and we park the issue because we have a whole month to sort it !.
Then before you know it, the system as auto renewed your policy and your stuck for another twelve months.
Crafty lot !.

·
Registered
219 Posts
It was quite a pleasant surprise when I was told this when I asked LV to update the policy for the new car. I expect the recovery won't be free though!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Which is why I never automatically renew and get new quotes every year.

I use the comparison sites (Cheap Car Insurance has an excellent guide on which to use and in which order) to get an idea of cost and then use TopCashback.co.uk: The UK’s #1 Cashback & Vouchers Site (referral link) to check for cashback if I was to buy it through their site. Most years I get around £50 cashback so it's worth the few minutes it takes.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
It was quite a pleasant surprise when I was told this when I asked LV to update the policy for the new car. I expect the recovery won't be free though!
Indeed not !.
Basic "Road Side Assistance" is the least expensive type of cover which can be found for either so called "Free" or around £20 / year though many insurance companies .
As you increase the level of cover, the cost rises quickly.
Recovery / Relay is a lot more expensive, then you have the "Home Start" option that increases the cost even more.
"Onward Journey / Hire Car" is another add on.
The very highest level is "Euro Cover" for travelling abroad.
I would double check if you do in fact have "Recovery / Relay".
I had to pay to increase my cover last year with L.V.
They will pull you to the nearest charger if you empty your battery, but what if the car has another problem and it then requires a flat bed ?.
I would double check with L.V. !.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,836 Posts
The way LV explained it to me was that you would be recovered free of charge to the nearest suitable charger (or home if that’s nearer) in the event that you find yourself stranded owing to running out of battery.

Obviously, if you break down or become stranded for other reasons you’ll be needing your regular breakdown cover.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 Family edition
160 Posts
I use the comparison sites (Cheap Car Insurance has an excellent guide on which to use and in which order) to get an idea of cost and then use TopCashback.co.uk: The UK’s #1 Cashback & Vouchers Site (referral link) to check for cashback if I was to buy it through their site. Most years I get around £50 cashback so it's worth the few minutes it takes.
That is what I do every year and last year I got a comparison site quote from my current insurer that was lower than my renewal and when I called they matched it. I told them which site I used, they confirmed it and lowered my renewal.

However I'm struggling to get quotes for my pending ID 3 on a few of the comparison sites. I don't have my reg yet so have to select make and model, but Confused.com and MoneySupermarket don't have ID 3 listed under Volkswagen.

Also not seeing an option for PCP when I say I'm not the owner, I'll be the registered keeper but owner will be Volkswagen Finance, right?. There are lease options but not PCP and if I select "other" the premiums are a lot higher than if I was the owner.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts