Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
Oops, you'll have spotted the bih hole in EV charging in this area then...?
In short, I'm afraid that you might be disappointed. I've lobbied the North York Moors National Park about putting in some charge points on their car parks etc but to no avail. Where are you traveling from? I live on the north western side of the moors and may be able to help..

Reactions: brothersoulshine

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha - it's the Yorkshire Gap...

We're coming from Leeds, camping with a couple of friends who'll probably get there before us so we're not even sure where we'll end up! I know we could avail ourselves of the campsite owners but that can't be relied upon.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Can't you get a CEEFORM adapter and charge up from the campsite's electric hookups? I bought one, but I haven't used it yet. Cost me about £10 from Amazon IIRC.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, have one of those but haven't used it in anger yet. Am just a little concerned that the campsite may not have any hookups available (given that we're not sure exactly which one we'll be staying at).

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'd do a bit of phoning round the campsites to check who has hookups and will let you use them, and then mention to your pals that that's what you need.

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
The only way you could realistically travel there is via York. Plenty of rapids there to chose from. But from York is must be about 50 miles to Robin Hoods bay. I might try and squeeze this in my Zoe, but there's no way you'd do the trip in the LEAF without charging at the campsite.
My house is less than 35 miles from RHB. If you got to your campsite from York, but did not have enough juice to get back then a dog-leg via my place could work.

DM me if you think you might need use of my 32a type 2.... From my place it's about 50 miles to wetherby rapid which should then get you home again.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
If you have the card there is a new Podpoint 2x7kw post in a council car park in Bridlington next to the main post office. I used it last Sunday and both sides worked. Parking charges only.
Other car charging there was a german Tesla model S who have a house nearby.

Don't try using the Renault garage in Driffield on Zapmap. They have never had a charger and have no intention.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tim, that's really kind. I'll try to establish exactly where we're meant to be going and speak with the people at the site, and DM you if things are looking flaky.

·
Registered
313 Posts
St Helen's in the Park http://www.sthelenscaravanpark.co.uk/ has hookups. I've used them. Just bought a three way blue commando adapter, and i wired up a commando plug with a three pin household socket on it, then plugged my portable i3 charger into this. It was slow - approx 10% charge per hour, but it worked a treat.
One hopes that it had a minimum Type A RCD as required by BS7671 for EV use and that all was waterproof.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yes indeed. The socket I connected to was RCD protected, and the household socket went in the boot.
My point was not RCD yes or no (I'd hope all outdoor sockets had RCD protection), but rather the level of protection afforded by different types of RCD. An outlet not specifically provided for EV charging may not have a sufficiently high standard of RCD.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Not sure I follow you here. In what way is it different to using the portable charger from any supply anywhere?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts