Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing that must be noted is that charging cables are not exactly like a piece of string! They are heavy & cumbersome and need to be pointed fairly precisely at the orifice in the car. Is this an opportunity for a robot arm to identify the vehicle and the where the charger cable can be plugged in? Taking the driver out of the equation should also increase reliability of connection, perhaps. It could even get to the point that the driver need not even get out of the car.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts

Idea has been looked and shelved and resurrected and probably shelved again...

Bit like the peeps who used to try to wash your windscreen at traffic lights, someone is bound to make a business out of plugging in and unplugging cars for a few bob, much cheaper than the robot options!

·
Registered
959 Posts
They can be recharged?!?
Not many years ago I had to help a neighbour with her new mobile phone...she couldn't see how to put new batteries in, and was disappointed that it had run down so quickly.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Well, this thread didn't take long to descend (or should I say rise?) to the humourous level! :) That's it for serious content I expect ...

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,441 Posts
someone is bound to make a business out of plugging in and unplugging cars for a few bob, much cheaper than the robot options!
You jest, but this is a British disease and one of the reasons that we have such low productivity in this country.
Farmers near to us baulk at the idea of investing in technology and use (cheap migrant labour) instead. An example is one friend who proudly shared a spreadsheet showing how a robot fruit picking machine with £100,000 initial cost but replacing 3 workers might only pay back in 7 years time. I said that looked good to which he replied that he might not be in the business in 3 years time and he has no money (a bit untrue as he and his wife both have brand new Range Rovers). He said he was confident of continuing to be able to get cheap labour going forwards.

·
Registered
Ioniq 5 Ultimate
2,641 Posts
Always wonder why this comes around every couple of years. Self driving cars is the only real case. But thats likely years off and humans will have to clean them inside and out regularly, think current car wash model but rapid charged at the same time, making charging them easy without any robot chargers required. For people who drive their own cars we seem to have managed for 100 years working a fuel pump so plugging in doesnt seem to be a likely problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.