Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ,I know this question was ask before I just can’t find it. Got a rolec 32a second hard installed tonight but my Nissan Leaf is only charging at 3.0kw any ideas. was told the wires are all connected ok on a 40a breaker.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Is the rolec tethered or untethered ?

If it's untethered make sure your charging cable is also rated for 32 amps.

What state of charge did you start charging at ?

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
How are you measuring the charge rate?
I'm struggling to recall if it shows it on the dash. 🤔

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi it’s untethered and the cable 250v-32A and it charges ok when I’m at the Tesco 22kw chargers at 6.0kw. I tried to change the settings on the dash of the car but made no difference.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Doesn't the car show the time to full from the last charging session rate?
Sorry, Im struggling to remember.
Can't think of anywhere that shows the current rate unless you put the accessory mode on maybe.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Doesn't the car show the time to full from the last charging session rate?
Sorry, Im struggling to remember.
Can't think of anywhere that shows the current rate unless you put the accessory mode on maybe.
The 40kWh Leaf shows the realtime charging speed on the dashboard. Earlier 24/30 models don't.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
The 40kWh Leaf shows the realtime charging speed on the dashboard. Earlier 24/30 models don't.
Guess I don't pay anything like enough attention.

·
Registered
419 Posts
First thing would be to check the model number on the Rolec against the spec on their site. You may have been sold a 16a version. Eliminate that first.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I was up early so sat having a play.
Mine was showing time to charge at 3kW. Went through the menu and found you can set it to show at 3kW, 6kW or 50kW. So more of a guide than real time I believe.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Mine was showing time to charge at 3kW. Went through the menu and found you can set it to show at 3kW, 6kW or 50kW. So more of a guide than real time I believe.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I thought I took a pic of the selection screen. Mustn't have taken.

Great suggestion by @Bullterrier to check the Rolec as 32amp was an upgrade rather than the standard 16amp.
Just the onboard RCBO should be enough to highlight this hopefully.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The tethered Rolec has a resistor connected to the controller to set the charge level. From memory it has a red sleeve on it. I presume with untethered it connects the resistor from the cable to set the max charge level.
You'll need some electrical knowledge and a multimeter to do the checks.

Checks-
1) check the resistor pack in the cable is connecting all the way back to the controller pins. I presume the cable is ok as you've used it to charge somewhere else. Is the internal cabling ok from the socket to the controller.
2) The controller uses PWM (Pulse width modulation) to tell the car the maximum amp draw. I has a faulty controller which was labeled 32amp but was only sending 16amp (50% cycle from memory). Controller swap cleared the fault.

If you are unsure don't mess- mains electric can kill!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi all just a quick update rang rolec and nearly straight away they said that it could be a wrong 32a controller fitting at the factory and if I send a copy of the electrician cert and photos he will put it to management for a replacement 32a controller.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Result- You'll need to get someone to fit the replacement controller unless Rolec will send someone FOC.
Not a major task to replace. Just take photos before and label the cables. 15min job.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Well I just left out the small details that I’m in ireland but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it
A bridge? Thought it was a ferry?
Heres a picture of the screen where you select the charge rate to display the time to full. But fingers crossed you are sorted.

Reactions: Wush2020

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,104 Posts
When unplugged you can see times like that and view estimates based on speeds. But when you're actually plugged in it does tell you the real time charging speed. For example on DC charging rather than 50kW you'll see the actual charge rate on the right hand side and a real life estimated charge time to match. During #RapidGate these numbers would shoot up when you slowed right down and were only pulling 20kW.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts