Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after waiting and seeing the various companies come and go offering a free charging station I finally plumped for a Rolec charging station to match the charger I had installed before the OLEV money became available. I had no desire to give Chargemaster or British Gas any of my custom so had a great dialogue with @Thephoenixworks a family company based in Leeds who would happily travel down to do a number of installs.

Thomas Newby (owner) was very, very knowledgeable about everything Renewable Energy and Electric Cars and I would have no issue recommending them to ANYONE. Just tell them Grant Thomas sent ya! http://thephoenixworks.com

My original charger is a Rolec 32 Amp 3 meter tethered Type 1 (J1772) BUT the Relay and Protocol module are 30A rated .... this was only an issue in the original chargers. You'd have to be an uber geek to spot a car charging at 30A vs 32A. No such concerns with this unit; everything is 32A capable.

Installation day: 20 May 2014

Inside the Rolec 32A Type 2 Socket:
Electrical wiring Wire Electronics Electrical supply Technology

The non-mainpine EVSE Protocol Controller (no adjustable charge option on this):
Electrical wiring Wire Electronics Product Electrical supply

The separate data logger with visible kWh meter (one box in the top right of this pic)
Electronics Technology Electronic device Electrical supply Electrical wiring

All connected with 6mm H07 flex (overkill is a good thing, this could take 50 Amps clipped to a wall)
Technology Electronic device Wire Auto part Machine

Finished install:
Product Technology Electronic device Machine

Complete pic with my orig Rolec tethered that was installed pre-OLEV funding:
Technology Electronic device

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wish I hadn't hastily got a British Gas freebie now! May I ask how much the install is?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
16A = £0
32A = £100 + VAT

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
If I could just encourage anyone in the Bristol and surrounding area to take up this brilliant offer from @Thephoenixworks ...... :p
(Because I'm waiting for my install since the end of April , and have to wait another 4-6 weeks because Grant took all the slots available on their current South trip). To make matters worse, my LEAF from the My Electric Avenue social trials is threatening to turn up early (THIS WEEK), and the EVSE parts from nuWorld are still on back order. ARRGH - I'd really like to charge at home ;-D)

Seriously, do.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I could just encourage anyone in the Bristol and surrounding area to take up this brilliant offer from @Thephoenixworks ...... :p
(Because I'm waiting for my install since the end of April , and have to wait another 4-6 weeks because Grant took all the slots available on their current South trip). To make matters worse, my LEAF from the My Electric Avenue social trials is threatening to turn up early (THIS WEEK), and the EVSE parts from nuWorld are still on back order. ARRGH - I'd really like to charge at home ;-D)

Seriously, do.
Now I feel guilty! They are gonna be back doing another lot of installs. I think Tom said within a couple of months; I've again published the great job they did today on Social Networks and they already have some fresh requests.

The wait has been due a ROLEC supply issue and Rolec not direct supplying The Phoenix Works, only via a wholesaler.

The ideal solution would be for Mainpine quality Metal Chargers to be direct supplied to The Phoenix Works for installation. I have no idea how far that situation is off happening; but when it does I'll be paying for an install at my parents place with the robust Mainpine charger. I defer to @Kevin Sharpe on how advanced this arrangement is from happening.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
Grant, my understanding is that the case used for the Type-2 socket version is a little deeper than the one you get with a tethered charger. Are you able to confirm this with your two now installed?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grant, my understanding is that the case used for the Type-2 socket version is a little deeper than the one you get with a tethered charger. Are you able to confirm this with your two now installed?
Welcome to today's "Spot the difference". They look pretty identical to me..
Wall Electrical wiring Electrical supply

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
Ok, I am now confused. I am sure that a couple of people have mentioned that you can't upgrade a tethered Rolec to a Type-2 socket as the box used for the tethered version is not deep enough to fit the socket.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Ok, I am now confused. I am sure that a couple of people have mentioned that you can't upgrade a tethered Rolec to a Type-2 socket as the box used for the tethered version is not deep enough to fit the socket.
No, it's the same 'deep' WallPod case. The 13A Rolec WallPod products use the 'shallow' WallPod case by default so maybe thats where your confusion comes from.

Note, the ZCW 13A WallPods use the 'deep' WallPod case because they are designed for upgrade to Type 2.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,578 Posts
No, it's the same 'deep' WallPod case. The 13A Rolec WallPod products use the 'shallow' WallPod case by default so maybe thats where your confusion comes from.

Note, the ZCW 13A WallPods use the 'deep' WallPod case because they are designed for upgrade to Type 2.
Ah! Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Where's the rcd from the unit gone? Looks like the main isolator is a wylex 60947/3. It installed at origin?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RCD direct from Henley Block then into the 6mm H07 cable through to the charger
Cable Technology Electronic device Wire Electronics

Reactions: Chris Everitt

·
Registered
104 Posts
Your lucky you've had yours fitted OLEV are about to announce changes to the grant - too many marketing companies ruining it for the people who need the units. Hear stories of units being fitted in customers lounges! Not sure what their plans are but OLEV haven't managed the accreditation process well. I think I could have got my dog accredited - no insurance details needed, no city and guilds no part p - just a name and a pulse. Spoke with CEO of cenex last night who stated that despite the advice they gave to OLEV to prevent them getting to this state - they didn't take much of it on board. Good luck OLEV in trying to sort this situation out. I best fit my home charge unit asap.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Your lucky you've had yours fitted OLEV are about to announce changes to the grant - too many marketing companies ruining it for the people who need the units.
My Dad (in the North East) was telling me that in the last couple of weeks he's had three different people knocking on his door trying to get him to install a charging point. The usual "adds value to the house" line.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your lucky you've had yours fitted OLEV are about to announce changes to the grant - too many marketing companies ruining it for the people who need the units. Hear stories of units being fitted in customers lounges! Not sure what their plans are but OLEV haven't managed the accreditation process well. I think I could have got my dog accredited - no insurance details needed, no city and guilds no part p - just a name and a pulse. Spoke with CEO of cenex last night who stated that despite the advice they gave to OLEV to prevent them getting to this state - they didn't take much of it on board. Good luck OLEV in trying to sort this situation out. I best fit my home charge unit asap.
Thanks for the nudge; just ordered one for my Parents house.

·
Banned
961 Posts
Can't say I'm surprised. I was stuck on a waiting list for a couple of months before finally giving up and calling BMW and paying extra for their install.

The current system is completely broken for people actually buying EVs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts