Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Rolec Cable Twist

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  cpcnw 
#1 ·
The charging cord of my tethered Rolec unit from 2015 is starting to look the worse for wear probably from all the times its been coiled up and uncoiled. I've disconnected it, brought it into the warm and used a hair dryer on medium to warm it and try and take the twists out. Looks like some of the 6.00mm conductors are twisting round the others.

Would you carry on using it?

Any good cheap source of 3 x 6.00mm + 0.5mm cord?

See less See more
#2 ·
It's bad cable design but probably fine to use unless you start to see the insulation being compromised. As far as replacing just the cable, the connector may be crimped, if so it's probably not user serviceable.

You can buy cable and plug assemblies from places like EV Cable J1772 16A Electric Vehicle Tethered Charging Plug and Lead. I haven't used them myself so no endorsement.

I don't know how you store the cable but wrapping it 'over-under' can help then the cable doesn't get twisted when you unwrap it.

Tedious video

#3 ·
Got me thinking... the plug end are screw terminals. There's this industrial looking stuff...

I would then only need the sensor cable which I could over spec at 1mm and buy rubberised then tie wrap it to the above?

What do you think?

#4 ·
Cable ties will shred your hands when you wrap the cable. You may also compromise the IP rating of the connecter with a non-standered overall cable diameter and shape.

If you feel confident and competent you could try calling one of the companies that assemble custom cables and see if they'll sell you some cable?

#7 ·
Try

#9 ·
Update: I bought this replacement [pic] from eBayer 'myenergi' in the UK for £50 plus del via UPS

Although cable made by yet another unknown Chinese manufacturer, the outside diameter is 3mm greater than the stock one on the Rolec. It feels kinda 'tough' too!

I suspect it does not have the poly rope filer like the highest quality cable however I am going make sure I look after it and 'wind' it very loosely round several [3 or 4] B&Q Rothley Galv storage hooks therefore avoiding twists.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.