Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a Rolec / ChargedEV / EO Mini Pro charger, and wondering which one I should go for.

Could anyone shed some light on the data side of things, as far as I can tell:

ChargedEV needs to be plugged into an ethernet connection (although you can get a dongle for it - anyone know the price?).

Rolec comes with 3 years data, but after that it's £2/£3 per month, or you can turn it back into a dumb charger for nothing.

The EO connects via wifi so there is no subscription cost / need plugging in via Ethernet.

Is the above all correct? Which would you go for?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
£3 a month for data for a charger seems excessive.. what's it doing... watching netflix when your back is turned? :p

Personally I have no need for a charger to be 'smart' as my car does that, so I'd go for the non-smart versions, but from those 3 probably the EO Mini because it's neat and small.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'd recommend the Rolec SmartEV charge point and can highly recommend it. It's also eligible for the OLEV grant.
Using the SmartEV iOS app I can configure it so it links to my Tesla account (car) and works out energy cost / consumption of my Octopus Go Tariff.
You can configure things like limiting to off-peak charging, charge when it costs less than 10p per kW or other smart charging functions.

For example, if I set my unplug time to 0800 (set off). It intelligently works out when to charge the car and to what percentage to help battery longevity.... so on my Tesla charging screen I set it to start at 0030am with a charge limit of 80% (when my 5p per kW Go Tariff starts) the charger will work out that it will charge to say 70% and then will stop charging... it will then attempt to do the final 10% so that it finished at your pre-defined set-off time. This also keep the battery warm before making a trip.

You can get stats from the iOS app like Co2 used, cost per kW, total spent etc at 24hrs, 30 days or 1 year.
They come with 3 years free usage to service which also includes 3 years warranty on the charge point itself. :)

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I'd recommend the Rolec SmartEV charge point and can highly recommend it. It's also eligible for the OLEV grant.
Using the SmartEV iOS app I can configure it so it links to my Tesla account (car) and works out energy cost / consumption of my Octopus Go Tariff.
You can configure things like limiting to off-peak charging, charge when it costs less than 10p per kW or other smart charging functions.

For example, if I set my unplug time to 0800 (set off). It intelligently works out when to charge the car and to what percentage to help battery longevity.... so on my Tesla charging screen I set it to start at 0030am with a charge limit of 80% (when my 5p per kW Go Tariff starts) the charger will work out that it will charge to say 70% and then will stop charging... it will then attempt to do the final 10% so that it finished at your pre-defined set-off time. This also keep the battery warm before making a trip.

You can get stats from the iOS app like Co2 used, cost per kW, total spent etc at 24hrs, 30 days or 1 year.
They come with 3 years free usage to service which also includes 3 years warranty on the charge point itself. :)
Seems like something even s dumb owner could easily work out on there own, minus the BS

·
Registered
524 Posts
Seems like something even s dumb owner could easily work out on there own, minus the BS
Perhaps but it’s far quicker for me to just view the stats. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use the latest Zappi. Had no problems with charger. Qualifies for grant and if you have other sources or energy ie. solar or power wall etc, the user can dictate where to draw charge from. Has app with full functionality. Great support. I simply plug car in at night when back from work or after kid taxi service and set the car to charge from 1am. You can configure charger to set charge time but haven’t bothered. I have had LR AWD since August and covered over 4,000 miles. Generally an average charge would take 3.5hours to 80% (most days get home with 35% to 45%). Longer runs use Tesla superchargers. Plan route with abetterrouteplanner and send route to car. On Octopus Go tariff also.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I use the latest Zappi. Had no problems with charger. Qualifies for grant and if you have other sources or energy ie. solar or power wall etc, the user can dictate where to draw charge from. Has app with full functionality. Great support. I simply plug car in at night when back from work or after kid taxi service and set the car to charge from 1am. You can configure charger to set charge time but haven’t bothered. I have had LR AWD since August and covered over 4,000 miles. Generally an average charge would take 3.5hours to 80% (most days get home with 35% to 45%). Longer runs use Tesla superchargers. Plan route with abetterrouteplanner and send route to car. On Octopus Go tariff also.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes I have a Zappi fitted unfortunately don't qualify for the grant, installed by a local electrician, had a problem connecting with my M3 but outstanding support from Zappi they did loan me a Zappi hub to update the firmware, all working well now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I Have the EO mini pro, no probs with the charger but you use the EV Juicenet app on your phone and they recommend that you use the vehicle scheduling and not the app as the Model 3 does not comply to the J1772 charging port standard and there maybe a risk the car will not wake up. If you do use the app, it seems to trickle a small amount in all the time to keep the car "snoozing" This has not been an issue but if you need to schedule an "on" and "off" time this may not be suitable. There is a work around by selecting a model S in the app apparently but I've not tried this yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes I have a Zappi fitted unfortunately don't qualify for the grant, installed by a local electrician, had a problem connecting with my M3 but outstanding support from Zappi they did loan me a Zappi hub to update the firmware, all working well now.
Why did your Zappi not qualify for grant?

·
Registered
428 Posts
No smart meter, my supplier Yorkshire Energy has no plans for smart meters as yet. I suppose I should have switched suppliers, too late now though.
Does the OLEV eligibility for the grant now require you have to have a smart meter? I knew the chargepoint was required to have a certain spec of “smart” features but was not aware that a smart meter also had to be fitted on the supply to the chargepoint.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,071 Posts
Does the OLEV eligibility for the grant now require you have to have a smart meter? I knew the chargepoint was required to have a certain spec of “smart” features but was not aware that a smart meter also had to be fitted on the supply to the chargepoint.
I've just had a zappi installed and I don't have a smart meter, it was never mentioned by the installer. I think the chargepoints themselves have to be 'smart' though.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Yeah there's no link between smart meters and OLEV. They couldn't really.. the smart meter rollout is a prime example of a government clusterfuck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oh dear, what an error I've made. I was under the impression that for OLEV grant a smart meter had to be installed, paid £1000 for Zappi fitted. To make myself feel better I did get £8700 more for selling my Volvo privately than Teslas trade in offer.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I Have the EO mini pro, no probs with the charger but you use the EV Juicenet app on your phone and they recommend that you use the vehicle scheduling and not the app as the Model 3 does not comply to the J1772 charging port standard and there maybe a risk the car will not wake up. If you do use the app, it seems to trickle a small amount in all the time to keep the car "snoozing" This has not been an issue but if you need to schedule an "on" and "off" time this may not be suitable. There is a work around by selecting a model S in the app apparently but I've not tried this yet.
Yes changing to a model S works for me and I have been using it like this for a while, personally it is better this way therefore if you want to make sure it stops at the end of your peak period then can do so, and then it also won't charge outside of your charge period with a lower rate. Then either use sentry or schedule in the car as well so that it is awake.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts