Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well unfortunately I got the Rolec charger installed through my dealer putting my name through to a Rolec installer. I was hoping I was in the first thousand and it might have been free, it wasn’t. So I had the initial problem with the app and the non delayed charge and that is now fixed I.e. it charges at 1.6 kWh until the cheap Agile price kicks in. It will charge at full rate and drop back to 1.6 kWh if the price goes above the set limit but it won’t stop at the car ready by time, so it always charges to 100%. I’ve had the fix applied just recently, granny charger will start if it it is switched on at the mains after being left plugged into a locked car. This is bonkers, if I was charging daily I would be at risk of falling foul of the warranty, fortunately I am retired and charge before i make a longer journey. Does anyone else have this problem. I’ve taken it up with the EV app people and they say this is how it is set up!

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,629 Posts
This is bonkers, if I was charging daily I would be at risk of falling foul of the warranty,
How? I've not seen anything that says you cannot charge to 100% daily.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,296 Posts
Its not a Nissan Leaf, charge to 100% as often as you like.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Agree !.
Charging every day is absolutely fine.
But just remember it is not seen as good practice to charge to the max 100% and then leave the car standing around for a number of days with battery bursting to capacity.
Equally and even worse, is to leave the HV battery on a very low state of charge for a long time, this is even more dangerous, you risk "bricking" the battery.
I like to charge up to about 80 - 85% on an overnight charge, this way we have plenty of range for more local trips, but if in the morning we are called to make a longer journey than we first planned, then I just pop the car back on charge for a couple of hours to then receive close to a full charge from our wall box.
This has worked just fine for the last seven months or so.
Not really a good working solution if you are using a "Granny" lead though, because it takes longer to top up the battery, than my wife takes to get ready in the morning ! :ROFLMAO: .

·
Registered
199 Posts
It will slow down charging once it reaches 80% on a rapid charger, but on your granny charger or 7kwh wall charger you can charge upto 100% every day it won't hurt the battery.i think you need to study your cars handbook.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I am aware of what the hand book states, but it is well documented on this forum that charging to 100% every single day and leaving the car unused for days is not seen as good practice.
Keeping the pack in what is generally regarded as the "Sweet Spot" -that is between a rough figure of 20% and 80% is normally regarded as kinder to the long term life of the battery pack.
Charging to 100% and then using directly after it has received a full charge is fine, leaving the car with the maximum state of charge, but then allowing it to just sit around for days / weeks is not really best practise in the long term scale of things.
Why would you want to fall into the habit of charging the HV pack to full, if you only needed to make very short trips locally over the next few days ?.
I try to charge my car to level that suits the trips I am likely to make the following day.
Local trip to the super market etc, why charge to full ?.
A planed trip of some distance that will require more range, then charge to full and set off within one hour of completing the max charge.
Basically, I like to charge to suitable level that suits my needs and therefore the trip I am likely to be taking on the following day.
Each to their own I guess !.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am aware of what the hand book states, but it is well documented on this forum that charging to 100% every single day and leaving the car unused for days is not seen as good practice.
Keeping the pack in what is generally regarded as the "Sweet Spot" -that is between a rough figure of 20% and 80% is normally regarded as kinder to the long term life of the battery pack.
Charging to 100% and then using directly after it has received a full charge is fine, leaving the car with the maximum state of charge, but then allowing it to just sit around for days / weeks is not really best practise in the long term scale of things.
Why would you want to fall into the habit of charging the HV pack to full, if you only needed to make very short trips locally over the next few days ?.
I try to charge my car to level that suits the trips I am likely to make the following day.
Local trip to the super market etc, why charge to full ?.
A planed trip of some distance that will require more range, then charge to full and set off within one hour of completing the max charge.
Basically, I like to charge to suitable level that suits my needs and therefore the trip I am likely to be taking on the following day.
Each to their own I guess !.
You didn't state that in your first post that you were leaving your car stood for days on end .

·
Registered
242 Posts
Lithium-Ion battery chemistry is what it is and you will kill your battery faster if you charger to the max and then letting the car stand for a long period or keep charging to the max and then only driving a little each day. Keep 100% for when you need it and charge to about 70% if you then have enough charger to do your next day's driving and you'll extend the life of the battery pack massively. The MG ZS when it shows full (44.5kWh usable) has a top-end reserve. This allows for several years degradation of the total capacity without any reduction in the available 44.5kWh useable capacity. It is a practice which is common these days with EV's and is hiding the real degradation of the battery pack. Back in the day that Nissan brought the Leaf to market, there was no best practice to follow and it was difficult to pack much in the way of battery capacity into the car so they wore their heart on their sleeve and customers gave the total 24 or 30 kWh capacity figure and even gave you a dashboard 12 Bar gauge to monitor the degradation. If you wanted more then an ODBII dongle and Leafspy would let you see the ageing of every battery cell. Leaf would even help you manage the battery health by providing a charge to 80% option in the car's settings - sadly the MG ZS EV does not do this.

The Rolec wall-box, just as any other home charger (strickly not a charger but an EVSE) can't stop your charge at 80% because the European ZS doesn't have the telemetry hardware to report the State of Charge (SOC) to the wall-box. Cars with Apps can via WiFi, Bluetooth or Mobile data can communicate their SOC to certain wall-boxes and allow charging to a specific SOC.

Ohme Portable EVSE and the wall-mounted Ohme EVSE (actually the same brick) is smart enough to communicate with EVs that have Apps and can report SOC, but when used with the MG ZS EV you have to check how many miles range you have and then using the Ohme App you can set an estimated number of miles you wish to add by the morning. If you have a tariff such as OctopusAgile Tariff the Ohme will pick the cheapest times to give you that charge. Or if you have the OctopusGo Tariff started the charge at the fixed time the cost drops to 5p/kWh. Octopus Energy customers can also get a very substantial discount (currently 50%) off the cost of purchasing the Ohme Portable EVSE with wall mounting lugs, which is available with a type 2 plug that can be plugged into an existing untethered wall-box to enhance a dumb wall-box.

Personally, I have taken steps as described elsewhere on this forum to modify my PodPoint wall-box with wifi controlled timer which interrupts the "CP" control wire to delay charging until the OctopusGo 5p cheap rate. I know that on average 1 hour adds about 25 miles of range and I can select a charge time accordingly.

To share a £100 credit 50:50 with me on your bill when you switched to Octopus Energy go to 8 days of Mates Rates

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I await to see how I get on now because my ZS lost the ability to charge from AC. Had a message today to say it was a software issue and it has been reprogrammed. I am aware that some MG ZSs will behave on a Rolec charger and delay the charge without the need for trickle charging according to the app developers. Mine wouldn’t but would on the granny charger. I.e. I could look the car with the charge plug connected and switch the power on later and voila it would charge. I was about to fit a timer to the plug when it stopped working. I may end up diving inside and fitting a Sonoff wi fi timer yet!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I may end up diving inside and fitting a Sonoff wi fi timer yet!
I have a “Dumb” Rolec wall box and control the delayed charge via a Sonoff switch installed inside of the rear cover of the unit.
Works brilliant for timing my charging requirements of the cheaper rate at night.
Question :- Can you still install a Sonoff switch on a so called “Smart” wall box ?.
It does not have any adverse affects on the “Smart” side of the unit then - NO ?.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts