Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

521 - 540 of 543 Posts

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Mine burnt out the other day. Had the 32A unit for 3.5 years without issues until now. Waiting on the original fitter to get a quote for replacement.

View attachment 122971
My charger was over 3 years old and eventually i got Rolec to send me a replacement free of charge.
Admittedly i had to threaten court as it is a known manufacturing fault before they accepted it.

I am a spark so no big deal me fitting it but i suggest you shouldnt be shelling out for a replacement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The old chesnut saw sigs of mine doing this and redone conenctions a while back with new cable internals. Still been getting hot. Have decided to ditch the rolec and get a veirdian classis thanks to recomendations on here. Still well prices in comparison to rolec and similar modular design but main thing is also its metal solid box and internals do look more tougher than super cheap rolec RCBOs

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Shock horror. Another where the neutral has been left loose by the installer! Just like mine was.
Odd isn't it that they always without fail leave the neutral loose! 🤣
I would send that picture to Rolec and ask them why it happened for a laugh. My daughter is after an EVSE but guess which one she will not get.
Rolec missed a trick by not doing a recall. Would have been easy and garnered a lot of positivity in the industry if they had done so.
They know where the failures are so firing a few letters out would have done their sales a lot of good.
These RCBO's can be bought from AliExpress for around $4 each. Goodness knows how much Rolec get them for.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Sparky replaced the RCBO supplied from Rolec which is a green one. Labour free but I paid for the part.
Very poor of Rolec charging for the part. I hope it was less than a fiver but I somehow doubt it!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Think it was £70. The sparky/fitter (excellent company) dealt with ROLEC to get the replacement part, I didn't get a reply from ROLEC. Honestly I didn't have the time to deal with ROLEC, I've got better things to do. I just won't use (or recommend) ROLEC products again.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Think it was £70. The sparky/fitter (excellent company) dealt with ROLEC to get the replacement part, I didn't get a reply from ROLEC. Honestly I didn't have the time to deal with ROLEC, I've got better things to do. I just won't use (or recommend) ROLEC products again.
Not so much fitted for free as it sounds like you were charged a high cost for the replacement part rather than a more sensible price plus labour (other brands for a similar are less than half this price at normal online retail prices, and presumably the installer got it with additional trade discount). Not saying there is anything wrong with this approach, they need to cover their costs too (unless the unit was still under warranty, then I would not have expected any charge for the replacement part).

·
Registered
450 Posts
Think it was £70. The sparky/fitter (excellent company) dealt with ROLEC to get the replacement part, I didn't get a reply from ROLEC. Honestly I didn't have the time to deal with ROLEC, I've got better things to do. I just won't use (or recommend) ROLEC products again
Not so much fitted for free as it sounds like you were charged a high cost for the replacement part rather than a more sensible price plus labour (other brands for a similar are less than half this price at normal online retail prices, and presumably the installer got it with additional trade discount). Not saying there is anything wrong with this approach, they need to cover their costs too (unless the unit was still under warranty, then I would not have expected any charge for the replacement part).
Where is Ann Robinson when she is needed!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
There was nothing wrong with the electrician charging for replacing the RCBO, just that they should have broken the price down. My guess is that it was supplied FOC to the Sparky and he passed the install cost as a part cost. Again no problem with that as it wasn't his fault and shouldn't do the job for free.

What needs to be done is that all owners of these Rolec EVSE's need to take the cover off and check the connections for overheating. It is ALWAYS the neutral on the upper connector.
Then take a picture if it is suffering and send it off to Rolec. Its about time they fessed up and supported what is clearly a dangerous fault solely caused by their decision to purchase from a dubious supplier.
I will be doing so.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
There was nothing wrong with the electrician charging for replacing the RCBO, just that they should have broken the price down. My guess is that it was supplied FOC to the Sparky and he passed the install cost as a part cost. Again no problem with that as it wasn't his fault and shouldn't do the job for free.

What needs to be done is that all owners of these Rolec EVSE's need to take the cover off and check the connections for overheating. It is ALWAYS the neutral on the upper connector.
Then take a picture if it is suffering and send it off to Rolec. Its about time they fessed up and supported what is clearly a dangerous fault solely caused by their decision to purchase from a dubious supplier.
I will be doing so.
And Matt Allwright would be pleased to hear from you no doubt, even if Ann wouldn't.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

I will be doing so.
If it was under 3 years old then Rolec should be paying the spark, not you.

As to checking how tight the connection is, I almost guarantee it will be tight. It doesn't come loose to generate the heat it is from a poor internal contact.

Rolec should just bite the bullet and replace them all anyway.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
If it was under 3 years old then Rolec should be paying the spark, not you.

As to checking how tight the connection is, I almost guarantee it will be tight. It doesn't come loose to generate the heat it is from a poor internal contact.

Rolec should just bite the bullet and replace them all anyway.
That's true. If it was installed under the OLEV grant they must provide a 3 year warranty.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Turns out the fitter didn't charge for the repair or the replacement part in the end. Also ROLEC additionally sent me the replacement part for nothing, don't know how they got my address but it just turned up. My charger was fitted over 3 years ago so it all turned out good in the end! Nice one ROLEC!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
You forgot that you didn't pay £70 for replacing the RCBO? A bit odd!

Not had a brown envelope arrive on the mat have you? :D🤣

·
Registered
2 Posts
Only just found this thread. I had a Rolec wall charger fitted in early 2016. The same problem noted up thread occurred after about 6 months. The RCBO was burned out on the top left input area. It was the B type and the installers replaced it with a D type under the warrantee. They said that it was a bad batch and that this would resolve the issue. The D type one has now burned out too. More than 3 years old, so i guess I'll have to bite the bullet buy a better component (following the recommendations earlier) and get someone to swap it out.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Only just found this thread. I had a Rolec wall charger fitted in early 2016. The same problem noted up thread occurred after about 6 months. The RCBO was burned out on the top left input area. It was the B type and the installers replaced it with a D type under the warrantee. They said that it was a bad batch and that this would resolve the issue. The D type one has now burned out too. More than 3 years old, so i guess I'll have to bite the bullet buy a better component (following the recommendations earlier) and get someone to swap it out.
Don't forget to report it to Rolec so that they can't ignore the long time built in fault solely caused by penny pinching. They always claim it is caused by not tightening the terminal which is hogwash.

I wonder how many thousands of sales they have lost over this. I will never purchase their products as they clearly don't understand the concepts of quality, safety and after sales support. As these EVSE's age, I wonder how soon it will be before one catches fire as more than enough heat is generated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2015 installed Rolec wall charger stopped working today. I opened it up and discovered mild scorch marks on the RCBO (ACEQ0180) and subsequently found this forum whilst looking for a replacement. I cracked open the faulty RCBO and took a photo. This clearly shows the fault originates internally and has nothing to do with how tight the terminal screw is or is not.

I've ordered a Garo replacement as recommended by others here.

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
Well, after 4 years, my Rolec RCBO has finally failed with the dodgy neutral connection. I also found the case is cracked and damaged even though it is fitted internally within my garage so protected from direct UV exposure and weathering. Like many others I’m going for the Garo RCBO replacement as the quickest and easiest repair and I’ll just have to live with the damaged case. Thankfully I do not require any water/weather protection otherwise I’d also need a new case to keep using the charger.

Now to investigate if the cable damage means it will need cutting back too far to allow simple re-termination. Thankfully it is a very short length of cable between my garage consumer unit and charge point so will be easy to replace if needed.

521 - 540 of 543 Posts