Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rolec 32amp charger, but my new I3 will only charge at a maximum of 16amps.
There is a seperate thread on this in the i3 area of this site.

The question I have is with the Rolec charger.
I tried changing the charge setting resistor to a different value via a variable resistor. It seems to make no difference what value resistor is inserted.
Once the resistor get to ~220 ohms I can here a relay in the charger controller click, but it has no effect on the output.
I'm waiting for a Type 2 to Type 2 32amp cable to arrive so I can test the car at a public charge point.

Has anyone else had an issue with a Rolec controller- the charge point is just over 2 years old.
Pictures are the amp draw, and readings on the Control Pilot line.

Picture below for readings.......

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
It's the car and the cable that also influence the current drawn, not just the charge point. I presume that the cable pulls 32 amps elsewhere and that you have checked the settings in the car for your home location?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I checked the cable which is tethered to the charger. There's a reading of 220ohms between Ground and PP pin. Which indicates its a 32amp cable.
The car is set to maximum charge rate.
I think the charger is the issue because the PWM is 26.2% on the Control Pilot wire, it should be 50%. That's how the charger tells the car what it can draw.

·
Registered
73 Posts
At least you get some charge.
I’m still waiting to get the 32A controller replaced in a brand new unit.
I’m a newbie to EVs. Is the Rolec brand at the bottom of the pile? (Tried very hard not to swear then)
Not impressed. My view of the brand is at rock bottom.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:-( Our charger has been working ok for 2 years, but we had a Golf GTE so it never took more then 16amps.
I'm not sure if it only had 12 months warranty.
If the controller is faulty and out of warranty I might investigate getting an openevse controller. Just need to make sure it with work with the other bits in the charging unit.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
If you had an OLEV grant then it must have had a three year guarantee. I'd suggest borrowing a car with a 7 kW charger for a test drive and plug it in to check that all is well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to test the i3 using the 32amp cable coming soon on a public charger.
I'll ask around on my neighbour app if anyone local has an electric/hybrid car with 7.2kw charging- they could pop over to test.
If it is the controller that is faulty, do I have to contact Rolec direct to get the replacement or the electrician who fitted it and claimed the grant?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have a look at my modifcation Mercedes was right! I don't think it will work on some other car makes though.
Interesting mod, but I can't try it because my charging plug which goes into the car doesn't have the extra pins for phase 2 & 3.
The maximum power AC power the i3 can take is 11kw which I assume is 3.6 * 2 on phase 1 & 3.6 * 1 on phase 2.
I think the charger PWM (26.2%) is saying to the car 'you can draw 16 amps total', which again I assume is the total across all phases.
Have you managed to adjust your charging rate by varying the resistor valve on the Rolec controller?

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
If the charger is the issue, then playing around with any of the internal components would surely invalidate the three year warranty.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the charger is the issue, then playing around with any of the internal components would surely invalidate the three year warranty.
I'm just testing without reconfiguring or removing anything. Fortunately or unfortunately I'm from a technical background and I'd prefer to know where and what the issue is before I escalate to either the Rolec or BMW. Neither so far have been helpful and both point to each other as the issue.
I'll know for certain where the issue is once the type 2 to type 2 32amp cable arrives from ebay. I'll go to my nearest 7.2kw public charge point and give it a 1 min test. My money is still on the Rolec charger controller being faulty.

·
Will it ever happen ?
251 Posts
"Have you managed to adjust your charging rate by varying the resistor valve on the Rolec controller? " No the B250e has 3 chargers but some how car only used 2 when I bridged the phase on to L1 L2 and L3 so I take it that the car can tell whats happening o_O

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I don't think the Rolec ECUs can have their current varied in fine amounts - they're either 16A or 32A, and will test the cable's resistor to decide whether to offer less. You can swap their ECU for a Viridian Mainpine one which does allow fine-tuning/sloar-control etc via a user-installed resistor. The Mainpine can't drive the Rolec LED unit, as polarity is reversed, so I removed the Rolec LED & replaced with clear plastic window so I can see the Mainpine's built-in LED which is fine. This is part of my on-going variable-solar-controlled-modified-Rolec project...

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
BMW say they 11 kw charger can charge at 7 kw on a single phase EVSE, so it does sound as though the Rolec ECU is only offering 16A, not the 32 you 'ld expect from the resistor in the cable. I wonder if they accidentally put a 16A unit inside a 32A case? Wouldn't surprise me at all, tbh. Rolec do seem to go for the cheapest parts they can possibly find.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think the Rolec ECUs can have their current varied in fine amounts - they're either 16A or 32A, and will test the cable's resistor to decide whether to offer less. You can swap their ECU for a Viridian Mainpine one which does allow fine-tuning/sloar-control etc via a user-installed resistor. The Mainpine can't drive the Rolec LED unit, as polarity is reversed, so I removed the Rolec LED & replaced with clear plastic window so I can see the Mainpine's built-in LED which is fine. This is part of my on-going variable-solar-controlled-modified-Rolec project...
Thanks. If the unit is under warranty then I'm going to push to get a replacement controller from Rolec. Final test will be early next week.
Found the attached document on the good old interweb. Interesting technical read....

Attachments

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
Nice doc, thx for finding that! It's rather more detailed than the J1772 ancient spec I found on the web. Have filed it for future ref! :)

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
After reading around i think its the total draw across all phases.
I can't see this at all. We hear about 16 & 32A EVSEs, and 3.6/7.2 single-phase and 11/22kW 3-phase charging. Total current draw on a 3-phase 22kW charge will be around 90A, but you don't see 90A cables being talked about.

So I really think that the resistor which specifies the cable current (13, 20 or 32A) is talking about the current down a single wire. And if you want more than the standard single phase 2-wire limit, then you have to go 3-phase. As far as the ECU in the EVSE is concerned, it couldn't care less whether the contactor & mains supply it switches is single or 3 phase. It doesn't sniff/test those. So why should it need to know that you have a 90 or 30 total-Amps cable when it's irrelevent?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts