Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My BMW 225xe went in for its first service 6 weeks ago and I plugged it in to my Rolec tethered chargepoint. The next morning it was cold and there was a warning saying the car hadn't charged properly. When I got home I plugged it in to the charger but nothing happened. There is normally a loud click and the blue light on the chargepoint turns green. I tried the granny cable instead and that worked fine, so I contacted API electrical who installed it for support. Eventually API sent someone with the right part and replaced the right mode 3 controller which charged, but when disconnected blew again. Second mode 3 controller installed this week (6 weeks after initial fault!) and worked for a few days. However, when I got in this morning in sub-zero temperatures there was no charge on the vehicle. I have been working away, but my wife insists it was working when she used it yesterday. So question is, has anybody else had an issue with the combination of Rolec and BMW 225xe in cold weather or is it just coincidence and down to poor reliability of the Rolec? Could the dealer have changed the settings on the car to cause problems with the charger or is just coincidence that the problem started straight after the first service?

I have been without my chargepoint for 6 weeks and am a bit fed up so any suggestions welcome. Will get on the phone to API again this morning to ask them to get Rolec to supply a new unit as obviously fitting a new mode 3 controller is not working.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Controllers are sensitive to faults elsewhere in the charge system. Check the lead as well as the car, and look for cracks that could allow mains voltage into the CP or PP.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I can't comment on the 225xe specifically but the two times I've had the protection trip on the Rolec wall unit it was because I hadn't fully seated the cable, maybe the pin didn't locate fully. Then when the car tried to charge in the morning the RCBO in the wall unit tripped. You should be able to push the switch all the way down to reset the switch as a test but as above if there's another problem it will just keep tripping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Controllers are sensitive to faults elsewhere in the charge system. Check the lead as well as the car, and look for cracks that could allow mains voltage into the CP or PP.
Thanks, dk6780, have checked cable and car socket and no obvious cracks or damage. The engineer checked the wall box to make sure no leaks there when he fitted the new controller. API have contacted Rolec asking to replace the unit. Fingers crossed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts