Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Electrician
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My Rolec charger is working fine but notice that when charging completes that after about 30 seconds the car (Ampera) starts charging again for about 5 minutes and then stops again; I notice this as I get notifications from OVMS - is this normal? I have built up a portable charger using a Mainpine EPC and have found that this does not happen when using it?

Ryan

·
Registered
279 Posts
I don't have a logger and have never been up in the early hours watching for end of charge.

Is it repeatable? Is it really charging behaviour, or is it pulling some power for battery warming for example on a particularly cold night? Could it be part of a periodic cell balancing sequence?

·
Electrician
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Nick

It happens at every charge event regardless of what level of charge the battery is at.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Only the car can know that it's 5 minutes away from completion, which will be at a different time daily depending on state of charge when put on charge, so this must be initiated from the vehicle even if the chargers respond differently. Are the current limits on both chargers the same? Near the end of charge is the Ampera charge current dropping off, or is it still working at 3.3 kW?

·
Electrician
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The charge level ramps down at the end of charging with either charger but for some reason after charging completes the Rolec charger restarts charging about 30 seconds after completing and charges initially at around 15 amps before ramping down again, after about 5 minutes of restarting charging stops; the current levels are the same.
I'm thinking of replacing the Rolec EPC with a Mainpine EPC.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Keep tripping out with Rolec I wished i never put this one in and no feedback from the company
Someone should pull the plug on them fast

·
Registered
124 Posts
Keep tripping out with Rolec I wished i never put this one in and no feedback from the company
Someone should pull the plug on them fast
Happy Days Rolec said because I have a new Nissan leaf I will have to pay because Nissan have upgraded the car and Rolec only works with the old Nissan leaf

·
Registered
538 Posts
Happy Days Rolec said because I have a new Nissan leaf I will have to pay because Nissan have upgraded the car and Rolec only works with the old Nissan leaf
Is your car 3.3kW or 6.6kW? We have a crappy Rolec that trips on the 6.6kW cars but not the 3.3's. We think its the epc. It's got an old siemens (I think) controller. I might change it for a mainpine epc soon to see if the charger is more reliable.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have the 6.6 kw and Rolec has passed the problem on to the installer and making me thank just how many charging point Rolec have put in this year that only work on old cars

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have the 6.6 kw and Rolec has passed the problem on to the installer and making me thank just how many charging point Rolec have put in this year that only work on old cars
Nope, We have UK built Gen 2 3.3kW Leafs that dont't trip it so don't believe them when they say it's too new a car. It's something to do with the current draw of a 6.6kW. We will at some point get around to changing the epc to a mainpine and get back to you. I think the controller is about £94? So don't ditch the charger yet.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I've got a brand new in the box Type 2 socket 6.6kW (Chargemaster) charger if you are fed up with the rolec. Could come to some sort of deal with you.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Ok so I'm planning to get a charge point installed at my parents (I regularly visit so hopefully I'll get past the grant issues). In terms of chargers available via the grant scheme (I'll up to 32A) can anyone comment on most reliable types.

Dare I say that the polar one I have at home has been flawless . It's a 32A unit, installed with 40A breaker. I only usually charge at 16A (leaf mk1) but had an i3 for 3 nights and charged that several times with no issue once I'd realised unlocking the car stops charge!

Since it's up at my parents and they're not fans of tradesman hassle, the best opportunity for first time working is desirable. I'm starting to get put off my the rolec. A shame as it's the tidiest, but I don't like the info above.... Any other recommendations

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am starting to think it's a waste of time trying to get help from Rolec because all the company will say is not Rolec problem and I should find someone who can fixes my Rolec charger the installer will not answer his phone.

Can someone fixes or replace my Rolec charger for me help

·
Banned
961 Posts
I am starting to think it's a waste of time trying to get help from Rolec because all the company will say is not Rolec problem and I should find someone who can fixes my Rolec charger the installer will not answer his phone.

Can someone fixes or replace my Rolec charger for me help
Report them to OLEV and then find another supplier to install using another OLEV grant.

The only way this kind of thing will be fixed is if OLEV start clawing back grants from companies who behave like this.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Report them to OLEV and then find another supplier to install using another OLEV grant.

The only way this kind of thing will be fixed is if OLEV start clawing back grants from companies who behave like this.
This what OLEV said and Rolec said I should find someone to fixes the charger and pay for the parts and the work

Thank you for your email. I have looked at Rolec’s response, and it seems that they are suggesting replacing some of the equipment within the charging unit that will allow your vehicle to charge. It should not require any upgrade work to your home’s electricity supply, although an electrician would be able to confirm that. I would suggest that you contact the installer who fitted the original chargepoint and enquire about changing the switch gear within the chargepoint from 16amp to 20amp as Rolec have suggested to allow you to make use of the chargepoint.

·
Banned
961 Posts
I suspect these are questions for OLEV. Try making a formal complaint explaining that you have tried to get the installer to rectify the problem without success?

The grants are for working EVSEs, not plastic boxes on the wall.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I would go to the payment vehicle for the failing kit. Therefore I'd definately raise the issue with OLEV and, if you paid any money towards it, the credit card company (always a good idea due to credit protection legislation)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts