Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have recently upgraded to an eniro 64 from a 2017 leaf 24 that I used to charge using a tethered rolec charger type1.
I am currently using the type 1 connector using a KHON type 1 to type 2 adapter but the charging times are slow because of the 3.6 kwh charger obviously.

I am looking to upgrade the Rolec wallpod and was wondering what are my options other than installing a brand new EVSE.

My Rolec went kaput a couple of years ago and my local electrician swapped the RCBO with a generic one (pic attached). can I just replace the Rolec controller with a 32a upgrade kit and it will upgrade the unit to 7kwh?

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
In a word, no. 7kW is a 32A load, so the entire wiring from CU to EVSE may need upgrading, and you may even need a new fuse for the house, so I think you need a sparky. The Rolec controller (ECU) might be switchable up to 32A, but don't count on it; My Rolec ECU has 32A printed on it, so I think it's fixed.
Your cable from EVSE to Leaf was probably rated 20A, so that's fine for 16A EVSE but no good for 32A.

So
1) needs a sparky to check/upgrade the wiring/fuse/MCB/RCD etc to 32A capacity. Fit 40A rated MCB/RCD/whatever, 32A chargng is so close to what the cars draw that they can trip right on the limit! (Got the T-shirt...)

You could ditch the Rolec completely & start again with new 32A unit, flog the old one on eBay.

You could replace Rolec ECU with a Viridian one - these are easily set 6A to 32A in minute increments via external resistor. £85 for the simple one, £125 for one with recent safety checks needed for latest regs. You may have an Earth Rod, Viridian can work safely without one, sparky will advise. (If you always charge EV inside gge, never outside, Earth Rod not needed as house Earth is deemed ok).

Then you need a (32 or preferably) 40A Contactor instead, £30 maybe?
You need a 40A RCBO, Garo is liked a lot around here. Under no circumstances fit a Rolec branded one! About £25.
You need either a Type-2 socket fitting, if you plan to go un-tethered & use the cable that comes with Ioniq, or you need a ready made up Type-2 plug with cable attached you can wire in to replace present one. Another thread around here has links to one.
Also evbitz.uk and ecoharmony.co.uk sell loose items.

Take care unscrewing Rolec case, & don't overtighten when closing it up! Can get a bit brittle & lugs may break! (I sell a repair kit for this!).
See my upgrade (easier than yours, as was already 32A) to safer, latest spec here:
Rolec Dumb Charger upgraded with DC Leakage Protection...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for such a detailed response really appreciate it.

Just looked at the breaker and it is indeed a 32A one as I remember the electrician upgraded it when he swapped the rolec RCBO. How can I check if the cable from the CU to rolec is 32 A?

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Ask a sparky. Or, see what the lettering on the grey cover (may be moulded in, needs a torch to see!) says & ask the experts here. Also measure how many metres of it between CU & the EVSE. Has been asked many times, but not my area. DOn't forget you need to know the house fuse as well! Special authority needed to open that up to see, I believe!

Reactions: Kam

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
How can I check if the cable from the CU to rolec is 32 A?
In the nicest possible way, if you need to ask this, you should also really ask yourself if you should be checking it yourself. It depends on the size of cable and how it is routed through the house, and getting it wrong can burn a house down. To be fair, it isn't hugely complicated, but it's more complicated than "it must be a red wire", so you're best to get your local friendly spark to check it properly rather than trust random faceless people on the internet. Failing that, a bit of quick googling should get you the relevant BS number that'll tell you how to figure it out yourself.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Good point, v true. Mine's simple, just goes one side of gge wall to the other, all inside & undercover. Some tunnel underground/God knows what or where! But asking in here once you know what's written on the cable will get you useful info for when a sparky comes round. Which you'll need to sort the fuse capacity question as well as house usage estimates.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Even qualified electricians get it wrong. I bought a new build 3 years ago and I found that the electrician had installed a 7kW EVSE into the existing 32 amp garage ring main. His mate who had completed an EVSE installation course was away on summer leave.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@cdlb you are absolutely right but right now I'm just reviewing my options and not in a chop and change mode. I never dive into anything without understanding the whole ins and outs first 🙂

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
I believe that if you simply "repair" an old bit of electrical kit, you can replace like with like, even if not technically up to modern regs. So no probs swappign out the Type-1 plug&cable for a Type-2.

I don't know what's the situatio if you "upgarde" to 32A though! If this counts as a "new" modification/inslattation, then you need to meet latest Regs, so that's Viridian Mk2 ECU, not the older Mk1. And it takes yet-another circuit breaker module in it which improves the Earthing safety.
Or you can meet latest Regs by getting an Earth Rod banged into the ground. In which case the Viridian Mk1 is fine, as the Earth Rod improves the Earthing safety.

Chances are your old installation is like mine was, no Earth Rod, but car being charged up outdoors. So I upgraded mine because I felt like doing it & it was no longer up to latest standards.

Needs a sparky to come along, you aren't all still sleeping off your lunches are you? :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, looks like a call to the local sparky and then deciding whether "upgrading" the rolec is worth it at all as looks like the upgrade is gonna cost upwards of 300£. I guess that's the price to pay for being an early adopter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts