Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Last June 2019, I had a non smart 7KW Rolec EV untethered charger installed for my Range Rover Sport. Worked fine for about 2/3 months. However, I now have the following issues towards the end of the charge:

1) Keeps making a continous loud clunking noise engaging and disengaging with the contactor towards the end of the charge (refer to youtube video

2) Now only charges to 99% NOT 100%

I have taken my Range Rover to Land Rover Service centre to do a full diagnosis, no issues found as they managed to charge the car to 100%. I have also used the 16amp standard charger, again charged to 100% with no issue. Plus I have managed to charge car on public charging points, again with no issues. So this implies it is either the installation or a faulty unit.
Both ROLEC and the installer have been called out twice to repair the issue to no avail and now Rolec Technical Support Team/ Gary are insisting the Rolec charger is working fine and the issue is not the charger, despite my only having this issue whilst charging at home

The installation is only 6 months and is clearly not fit for purpose. Under the Consumer Act 2015, who is liable to provide a refund for the faulty good, Rolec or the Installer?

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
who is liable to provide a refund for the faulty good
The person who sold it to you = whoever the invoice is from.
If you paid with a CC you can also claim back from them, and it's a threat worth making if the supplier wants to play difficult.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike, thought so. Installer is trying to say it's down to Rolec Manufacturer to provide a refund under the warranty- but tbh it has be to the installer - I won't name and shame the installation company just yet.

Don't suppose anyone has come across this fault? Like I said, it's only happening with my Rolec charger at home.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Installer is trying to say it's down to Rolec Manufacturer to provide a refund under the warranty
No. Manufacturer warranties are in addition to your legal rights. It's often the easiest way to sort stuff out but if they refuse it's back to your legal redress with the supplier.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,606 Posts
Do you know anyone else with an EV that could charge on it to prove other cars have the same issue?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went back to the installers. I have now transferred across to Pod Point earlier this morning! Moral of the story steer well clear of Rolec, especially if you own a Land Rover vehicle as there is definitely a Signalling incompatibility.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have what seems to be the same problem. Rolec charger, VW Golf GTE.
The car reaches full charge and the charger cuts out as it should, but after a random interval (anything from a few seconds to 10 minutes or more) it starts charging again for a few seconds until it realises that the car is already fully charged and cuts off the charger again. This process is repeated at random until I unplug the lead.
This might not be a problem except for the fact that each time the charger cuts in or out, there is a loud "thunk" which I presume is a solenoid type switch in the Rolec charger. We now can't lleave the car on charge overnight because the random "thunk" wakes us up!
Rolec have been quite helpful but they are convinced that it must be a car issue because it is the car which sends the signal to the charger to start or stop charging. But VW think that the charger is at fault because the car only stores fault codes after I have used my Rolec charger, and didn't generate any fault codes after they used their own charger.
Where do I go from here? I've never used a public charger. If I use the basic VW plug-in charger it doesn't make the thunking noise, but that's because it doesn't use a solenoid switch.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
The car reaches full charge and the charger cuts out as it should, but after a random interval (anything from a few seconds to 10 minutes or more) it starts charging again for a few seconds until it realises that the car is already fully charged and cuts off the charger again. This process is repeated at random until I unplug the lead.
This might not be a problem except for the fact that each time the charger cuts in or out, there is a loud "thunk" which I presume is a solenoid type switch in the Rolec charger. We now can't lleave the car on charge overnight because the random "thunk" wakes us up!
Rolec have been quite helpful but they are convinced that it must be a car issue because it is the car which sends the signal to the charger to start or stop charging. But VW think that the charger is at fault because the car only stores fault codes after I have used my Rolec charger, and didn't generate any fault codes after they used their own charger.
Where do I go from here? I've never used a public charger. If I use the basic VW plug-in charger it doesn't make the thunking noise, but that's because it doesn't use a solenoid switch.
Any ideas?
Did the dealer tell you what the fault codes were or can you read them off somehow?
As a data point I too have a Golf GTE and a Rolec charge point (non-smart 32A untethered) and no issues after 14 months.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rolec also tried to suggest the issue was with my car, which wasn't true btw as I managed to charge my vehicle to 100% at several different charging points with no issue. So it was definitely a compatibility issue with the Rolec charging socket. Despite the two call outs with the installer the issue still persisted. I therefore, went back to the installer stating the Rolec 32amp socket wasn't fit for purpose, demanding a refund or exhange for another brand. Now swapped to the PodPoint Smart charger - no issues so far and car charges to 100%. In summary, go back to the installer and exchange for another brand is your best option!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for your reply Tom.
The VW Service Advisor described the 29 fault codes as "charging related". The paperwork shows P33E100 Charge socket Electrical error passive/sporadic.
I did ask why a charger might cause a fault code but he had no answer. It seemed to me that the car sends the signals to start or stop charging, and all that the charger does is supply the current when required. But I may be wrong - I often am.
I've posted a new thread in the General Charging Discussion so we will see if anybody has any further thoughts.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
all that the charger does is supply the current when required. But I may be wrong - I often am.
You aren't wrong. It's not a charger, it's a glorified contactor. I am very careful to try and always call them "charge points".
The charger is the OBC in the car.

The charge point does a few safety checks and tells the car what the maximum current is that can be supplied. If all is OK the car then says "gimme", the charge point turns the 230V on and the car then uses the power to fill the battery.

(For DC rapid chargers it's a rather different game.)

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
If you're into diy, you can swap out the ECU (brains module) insidethe Rolec for a Viridian Mainpine unit. Pretty much pin compatible, but you lose the ability to power the Rolec's multi-colour LED on front panel. However, the Mainpine has its own multi-colour LED built-in, so you can put a plastic disc in the original LED hole in the case, and peer in if necc.
Cost about £80 believe. If that fixes it, you know there's something dodgy with the Rolec ECU. If it's still failing to charge properly, then it has to be a cable/connector problem, or something in the car.

There are 2 flavours of Mainpine, tethered & untethered. Maybe the untethered version has a signal to operate a connector lock on the EVSE itself, I'm not sure tbh.

About all the car ever does is provide a known resistance across 2 wires when you plug it in, so the charger can tell there's an EV there. When the car's ready to take on power, i.e the charging session is starting to charge as far as the car's concerned, it switches another resistor across the same 2 wires, = a lower resistance now. The ECU sees this as a request for power, and will activate the clunky contactor & offer the car a known level of current, from 6A up to 32 (or theoretically more, but n/a on our 7kW chargers). So there's not an awful lot to be going wrong, and I cannot explain this odd behaviour. If the car wants to cease charging, it should (if it's feeling kind, and is programmed properly) reduce the charging current it's taking down to 6A, then disconnect the 2nd resistor. The EVSE sees this resistance has changed, and can (?should?) stop offering current, and should probably disconnect the power by disengaging the contactors.

These resistances switched in by the car are supposed to drop the voltage on the CP pin from 12V (no car plugged in), down to 9V (car plugged in, doesn't want power) and then to 6V (car wants/is taking in power). It wouldn't be hard to stick a voltmeter on the CP pin while the car's charging, to see if anything funny is happening there.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Any ideas?
We still have our Rolec 7kw tethered; approx 4 1/2 years old, which fed our Golf GTE daily for the 4 odd years of ownership, without any issues like your experiencing.
Maybe 3 times within this timeframe, I did have a red LED indicated on the charge socket of the car, upon cleaning the pins of both the Rolec plug and car socket, didn’t experience further issues.
Our Rolec did have the original RCBO replaced to a different trip curve, at about 12 months old; but no cracking or scorching being responsible, just started random tripping whilst charging at 16a.
This RCBO was replaced again when testing the breaker, it would not reset so is now on the latest green type for the last 18+ months approx.
The Rolec now feeds our Model 3 LR, a Leaf 2 and a Zoe, all without any issues, but is soon to be getting replaced with a Zappi2 tethered; due to being unable to charge the TM3 whilst in our garage.
The Rolec lead is about 12” short, with the Zappi2 being 1.5m longer and can also benefit from our solar PV once the weather improves.
Best way to prove your Rolec as others have stated, get someone else to charge; but I would recommend another GTE, purely for the reasons if it still does the same, it’s the Rolec.
Whats the age of your Rolec, can’t you return to the installer, as warranted for 3 years if installed under OLEV.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Many thanks BrianW66. The disconnection problem has slowly been getting worse and my calls to Rolec more frequent, but they continue to tell me that they haven't come across a problem like this before! Despite that, the first question they often ask is "Is it a Land Rover?".
This week however, and at my suggestion, they did send me out a new RCBO. It arrived promptly and I've just fitted it this morning (an easy job).
Fingers crossed...…………….

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Many thanks BrianW66. The disconnection problem has slowly been getting worse and my calls to Rolec more frequent, but they continue to tell me that they haven't come across a problem like this before! Despite that, the first question they often ask is "Is it a Land Rover?".
This week however, and at my suggestion, they did send me out a new RCBO. It arrived promptly and I've just fitted it this morning (an easy job).
Fingers crossed...…………….
Please keep us posted on the outcome !.
I had a similar problem with my GTE about a week after the Rolec was fitted.
You would plug in the car and it would charge for a while, then it would send out a loud “Thump” and drop out because it had tripped the RCOB in the wall box.
It was SO erratic and unpredictable.
One day I was in the garage and the RCOB tripped the breaker and the car was not even plugged in !.
Installer fitted a new style RCOB about a week later and all was okay.
Can I just ask, are you charging from a “Delayed Charge” set up in the car ?.
If so, myself and another owner had issues getting the car to correctly perform an over night charge after the clocks switched from the summer to the winter hour changes.
This could only be rectified by deleting the request in the head unit and setting up a new charge setting.
Somehow this previous used setting, that I had been using for ages, had been corrupted in some way ?.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Carty
No I've never used a Delayed Charge set up. We have solar PV roof panels so we tend to just plug it in when the is bright daylight. And the RCBO never actually tripped out although the intermittent dropping out has been going on for well over a year.
After fitting the new RCBO this morning the car charged fully without dropping out so I'm optimistic that the problem might now be solved. But I'm disappointed that I've effectively been left to diagnose the problem myself, with the help of a few people on here. Rolec have continued to deny that they have seen similar problems before, despite evidence to the contrary.
I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I get the same noise when charging my Ampera using the cars delayed timer and have put it down to car and charger talking. Normally occurs during the period after plugging in and again near to start of delayed charging. Car charges to 100% ok and does not disturb me so has not been a real issue for me. The charger has always made a clunking noise when connecting on both delayed and immediate charge, charger is about 4 -5 years old. I have noticed it more since setting the car up for charging after midnight to take advantage of my agile tariff (best I can do with the Ampera and dumb charger) may get another ohme as it works great on my other car on agile, I even got paid to charge the other day. The suggestion about replacing the ecu in the charger sounds interesting.

Octopus energy referral for £50 Octopus Energy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts