Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
˙ǝןƃƃnɹʇs ןןıɥuʍop ɐ sı ǝɟı˥
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Apologies if this has been asked before.

I'm to have a Rolec home charge point installed next week. I'm wondering do they lock onto the type 2 plug when charging in the same what that the car does - only letting go of the plug when it's removed from the car at the other end.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
If it's a tethered unit, it'll be the vehicle that does the locking.
If it's a socketed unit, it'll be the charge point that locks the socket, and it will keep it locked until the vehicle end of the cable is removed, and the vehicle can hold onto the vehicle end of the cable if it wants.
Some vehicles lock the charge inlet with the central locking, some vehicles will unlock the charge inlet lock with a different locking circuit.
I think the Zoe locks it's inlet along with the rest of the central locking.

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
I had a Rolec installed about two months ago, a socketed version, and it does not lock the charger end.

The car locks the cable, but I can just unplug the Rolec end at any point even whilst charging.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for that Tooks; I thought the same about mine but someone on another thread thought it locked so I didn't respond to this thread either way in case I was wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Just had a look at my 32A Tethered Rolec. There's no special separate wire supplying a relay/motor to do the locking, but the socket itself does have what looks like a plastic extension housing what could be a small solenoid. This would have to be activated by the 230V car supply, as there's nothing else to power one. The positioning of the solenoid (if any) lines up with a hole in the plug, so it's plausible. But I haven't had the courage to pull the plug out at Rolec end while actually charging!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I had a Rolec installed about two months ago, a socketed version, and it does not lock the charger end.

The car locks the cable, but I can just unplug the Rolec end at any point even whilst charging.
I've used many public Rolec socketed wallpods (and their higher end ones with multiple outlets), and they do lock the cable at the socket until the vehicle end is disconnected. Maybe it's a design change?

·
Premium Member
4,267 Posts
I've used many public Rolec socketed wallpods (and their higher end ones with multiple outlets), and they do lock the cable at the socket until the vehicle end is disconnected. Maybe it's a design change?
Quite possibly.

Or maybe there's a domestic and commercial version of the charger that look superficially similar?

·
˙ǝןƃƃnɹʇs ןןıɥuʍop ɐ sı ǝɟı˥
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys. I'll find out when mine's installed and post back. It may well be an optional extra from Rolec.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's standard for them to lock (as thats part of the spec) but it's common for the pins to be removed as they are the #1 cause of failure and warranty claims. (normally locking the cable in!)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts