Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
The HomeSmart version has even more empty space inside, particularly at the bottom, which is why the guy that installed mine was able to put a 3-pin socket in the bottom half and move the "gun holster" to the top (which is usually a branding faceplate).

·
JimB
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
...and I now know that my 5 year old duff one doesn't have the Residual DC current module in it.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
By the look of it, there's nothing stopping you buying that Residual Current Monitoring device separately from Rolec. Google EVDC0020 will find it. I don't know how this thing is wired in though, would be nice to know. On the old wiring, the ECU has one terminal to connect to the coil in the Contactor. Maybe this thing goes in series with that wire, so that if either item trips, the Contactor is opened? Needs someone with one of these newer Rolecs to open it up & trace the wiring.

The part number for the ECU "brains" module is unchanged from the ancient, dumb Rolecs, so that doesn't need to change.

If you have any RCBO in there with Rolec name on it, I'd bin it. We're starting to see failures in here of the new green-text ones like the one in the video, and the old blue-text ones are known to fail regularly.

This Rolec has no Contactor in it to provide PEN-loss protection, so if your car is charged outdoors, the Earth wire needs to be attached to an Earth rod.

Details of the upgrade I did to my 5 yr old dumb one are here:
Rolec Dumb Charger upgraded with DC Leakage Protection...

·
Registered
300 Posts
The HomeSmart version has even more empty space inside, particularly at the bottom, which is why the guy that installed mine was able to put a 3-pin socket in the bottom half and move the "gun holster" to the top (which is usually a branding faceplate).
Can you use the charger and the socket at the same time? If you can, your electrician needs to go and read the book again.

·
Registered
2014 Mitsubishi PHEV
2 Posts
Rolec with DC Residual Current Monitoring Module (DCRCMM):

Live and Neutral to the tethered cable both pass through the hole in the DCRCMM, originating from 2T1 and 6T3 on the Contactor.

Thin Black Vcc 5V goes to CP on the Mode 3 Controller

Thin Purple GND goes to 0V on the top row of the Mode 3.

One thicker Brown goes from A1 IN on DCRCMM to RL2 on the Mode 3

Other thicker Brown goes from A1 OUT on DCRCMM to A1 on the top row of the Contactor.

I shall be replacing the Rolec RCBO with a Garo unit.

Michael

·
Registered
669 Posts
Can you use the charger and the socket at the same time? If you can, your electrician needs to go and read the book again.
I haven't tried that and don't plan to. I suspect the current draw will exceed 32A and trip the breaker. Not sure why you'd suggest it's dodgy to have both when Rolec themselves sell models with both (e.g. EVMM0040), it's just that only the "smart" models are eligible for the OLEV grant.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts