Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fault with my Rolec home charge point which was fitted in 2015.

It clicks on when connected to the car, car reports charge time remaining which indicates full power (7Kw) charge rate. Then over next 15 mins the charge will stop, and as it does it looks like car steps charge rate down and down until no charge at all.

I have had an electrician look inside the unit and all looked good, no sign of burnt connectors, all connections tight.

The car charges ok on 7Kw public posts and with EVSE at slow rate.

Any ideas what the fault might be - is it the controller brain inside the charger ?

Should I get this repaired/replaced or consider a new home charger ?

Advice appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Worth trying to repair it, I think. What's the RCBO inside it? Have a look at this thread; if it's got the old, blue-lettering RCBO that fails, swap that out immediately for a decent Garo. £25 easy diy.
This probably won't fix the prob, but the old RCBOs are utter, dangerous, cr*p.
If problem persists, get a Viridian Mainpine ECU. These are in 2 flavours, thethered & untethered. I think it's evbitz that stock these. These use a resistor across 2 terminals to set the charge current, so you can have anything from 6 to 32A. They supply 16A & 32A resistor values.
Viridian ECU has its own built-in diagnostic LED, and the Rolec fron LED-lamp is incompatible, so you remove it, and fit a clear window over the hole. I taped over, mine's inside gge. Outdoors could use a decent plastic window of some kind. Then you can see the Viridian inside, problem solved. After that, there's really nothing else I can think of that would make the current drop slowly and shutdown. Does sound like the ECU though.

Have you been charging like this ok for a while, or has somehing changed recently (new Ev?) ? I've just got an Ioniq 2 days ago, charges at 32A or thereabouts. My 32A Rolec with Viridian ECU in has charged Ampera at 14A fine for several years. First charge of Ioniq ran ok for about 5-10 mins, then the RCBO near the Consumer Unit tripped. No idea why. Reset it, ran a few more mins & tripped again. I got 18 miles range from these 2 mini-charging-sessions. I wondered if something's close to 32A limit near the CU, so I swapped out the 32A resistor & put the 16A one in - this was at midnight & I wanted it at 100% by 10 am! That worked, so I'll get some advice here, stick a current-clamp to see what the current is etc, and get it fixed etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts