Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Wondered if anyone has had the same issue as my 32amp Rolec home charger?

The blue flashing light is on, I can connect a car and the light goes green, after a minute or two there is an internal sounding clunk and then the light illuminates a solid blue and stops charging.

Have tried my wife's Leaf and my Volvo, both are the same. Both cars and cables work in other chargers.

Have tried tripping it out and resetting, no joy. Only fitted in January and has worked fine up to Monday night.

Any ideas?!

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Sounds broken to me. Have you looked inside for loose connection. Most likely complete controller failure.

-- Richard Goldsmith : Ampera (2012). EVangelist & Sustainability Champion.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same, but wiggling the plug in the charger will get it green and charging. It's as if the plug isn't quite locating in the socket. I now wedge a piece of wood between the floor and the plug to keep it located in the socket and that seems to work.

·
Registered
848 Posts
warranty IMHO so call them up

·
Registered
647 Posts
I wonder if your internal controller is a Rolec or a Mainpine. The LED indications possibly are the same between them, but they do match what the Mainpine EPC does.

Anyway, the "clunk" you're hearing would mean that the contactor opened. (You should hear a similar clunk when it first starts charging and turns to green when the contactor closes.) The steady blue light means that the EV is connected but that it is not charging. (Duh.) That normally happens when the charge finishes. In your case, however, I suspect that it means that the car was unhappy with the pilot.

It could be a faulty controller. It also could be poor connections. If it's under warranty with your vendor then just raise the matter with them.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Just had this issue on a charge master socket turned out it was my cable. The signal wire had snapped and would work intermittently when wiggling the cable round I tested with a multi meter. I fixed it by taking a part the end with the faulty plug stripped back the cable to just past where the cable enters the plug, found the break and soldered if back together. How ever I had to tuck the access 230v wire into the plug as the connections are crimped. This would mean needing a complete new plug and crimping tool. If this is the case a new cable would be cheaper.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have just had an issue with 32A rolec tethered home charger.
went wrong last 19th Dec "Chargeev" out to fix this Fri 30th Dec. It charged car to 87% and wouldn't preheat it, completely locked in off position. will report what actually is wrong on Friday after visit.
Luckily its only really used for school run so not required but could of been worse !
Oh must add they said Rolec does come with a three year warranty- good job!!

Report back
Had charger repaired free of charge at 15 months old.
It was a simple fix just the RCBO -10 mins & job done, seems to be main problem looking at fitters faulty parts bin though I didnt get a definitive fault cause from fitter.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Now that I am pulling 32A for extended periods of time off the two Rolecs I have at home due to now having the Leaf and Tesla - and having read this thread and elsewhere I spoke to the chaps at PhoenixWorks who fitted them for me.

I have now pre-emptively upgraded my RCBOs.

I have replaced them with the ones that Phoenixworks recommended - GARO. These units are clearly properly built in quality from the moment you feel one, even more so when compared to the existing Rolec ones.

There were no signs of failure in either of mine as per the pictures above, but didn't want to risk it.

The replacement ones used are these: Product Detail

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
Looks like several Garo models, e.g. 2 pole, type b or c. Can you clarify exactly which flavour is the correct one? Part number would be fantastic, thanks.

·
Registered
592 Posts
That link should take you straight to it, but it is a:

"40A RCBO 2 POLE 30MA CHAR B"
Product Code - RCBOGRB40

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi

Wondered if anyone has had the same issue as my 32amp Rolec home charger?

The blue flashing light is on, I can connect a car and the light goes green, after a minute or two there is an internal sounding clunk and then the light illuminates a solid blue and stops charging.

Have tried my wife's Leaf and my Volvo, both are the same. Both cars and cables work in other chargers.

Have tried tripping it out and resetting, no joy. Only fitted in January and has worked fine up to Monday night.

Any ideas?!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I have had the same problem with a Rolec Wallpod 32Amp charge point. After speaking with Gary Frost at Rolec Technical support he admitted that there was an issue with the earlier EV Rolec Charge points RCBO's. Which after constant use some of the RCBO's were failing.

Gary explained this was due to the fact when they designed the EV charge points they used the same components that they used on their Caravan park and Marina electrical points. However they soon discovered that after the constant use and the higher demands of charging an EV for 8 hours at a time at full load, some RCBO's they were using were failing. This has now been addressed he assured me by upgrading the RCBO's used for EV's to a higher specification.

Unfortunately, when I requested a FOC replacement due to this manufacturing defect, Gary said as my unit was 18 months old he could not provide one. Despite the fact they offer a Three year warranty if their equipment is installed under the OLEV Grant Scheme! So I requested I could speak to his Operations Director Holly Brown but he refused to put my complaint through as he said it was not a complaint that justified bothering their Ops Director with!!

So I had to order a replacement RCBO part (same part number ACEQ0185) but now designated a C40 not B40 RCBO from Denhams Electrical at a cost of £17.78 plus vat plus £12.50 shipping (as Rolec will not deal with the public or trade directly).

In my opinion Rolec should have issued a recall on the defective units and honoured a replacement FOC despite being out of warranty. Left me with a very bad impression of their after sales service and attitude to customers legitimate complaints especially after refusing to let me even lodge my complaint! However, a letter of complaint will be going in tonight's post to their Ops Director Holly Brown.

·
Madam Legurtz
402 Posts
Hi I have had the same problem with a Rolec Wallpod 32Amp charge point. After speaking with Gary Frost at Rolec Technical support he admitted that there was an issue with the earlier EV Rolec Charge points RCBO's. Which after constant use some of the RCBO's were failing.

Gary explained this was due to the fact when they designed the EV charge points they used the same components that they used on their Caravan park and Marina electrical points. However they soon discovered that after the constant use and the higher demands of charging an EV for 8 hours at a time at full load, some RCBO's they were using were failing. This has now been addressed he assured me by upgrading the RCBO's used for EV's to a higher specification.

Unfortunately, when I requested a FOC replacement due to this manufacturing defect, Gary said as my unit was 18 months old he could not provide one. Despite the fact they offer a Three year warranty if their equipment is installed under the OLEV Grant Scheme! So I requested I could speak to his Operations Director Holly Brown but he refused to put my complaint through as he said it was not a complaint that justified bothering their Ops Director with!!

So I had to order a replacement RCBO part (same part number ACEQ0185) but now designated a C40 not B40 RCBO from Denhams Electrical at a cost of £17.78 plus vat plus £12.50 shipping (as Rolec will not deal with the public or trade directly).

In my opinion Rolec should have issued a recall on the defective units and honoured a replacement FOC despite being out of warranty. Left me with a very bad impression of their after sales service and attitude to customers legitimate complaints especially after refusing to let me even lodge my complaint! However, a letter of complaint will be going in tonight's post to their Ops Director Holly Brown.
That is a poor showing on the part of Rolec, absolutely atrocious customer support behaviour.

As it happens I am in the process of having one installed as I type this. The chaps are out there in the rain and the sleet running a 52 meter cable to my required location and a Rolec 7kW charger being installed there. I had originally wanted a Pod Point but they couldn't get their collective act together in a timely manner. A simple/regular install would have probably been no problem, they're no doubt a good company and my experience with them an aberration. But nevertheless, it is my pain so I went to a local installer who is less than 20 miles away and so far he and his installers have performed flawlessly.

I wonder if it is worth pre-emptively replacing the RCBO with the suggested Garo unit which I've found here for £18 ex VAT: Garo RCBO 1+N 40A char B 6kA Type A | Distribution and Control | GARO

I'll have a chat with the fellas when they're done.

And yes, I'd be writing to Holly Brown and their CEO [office] also, just for good measure. If they don't care then they can be discounted from a future purchase.

Its not how well you perform when things go right. The acid test is how you perform when things go wrong. Poor show Rolec.

·
Madam Legurtz
402 Posts
Here's my Rolec Wallpod innards as it was being fitted today. It has the ACEQ0185 C40 RCBO fitted. I suppose something to periodically inspect for the first few weeks/months of use. It won't be heavily used, perhaps a couple of times a week basis the current use we're making of the Leaf.

Nice to see the innards before the lid goes on.

Click image for larger version
Electrical wiring Cable management Electrical supply Electronics Technology

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
52 metre cable! :eek:

As your Rolec is new it will already have the newer/uprated RCBO fitted. Mine was installed in September and has the same green RCBO as yours by the looks of it and comparing it to other peoples in other threads it is the new type which (touch wood) hasn't given any trouble so far. (Although as my car can only draw 16 amps, it won't be stressing it much)

·
Madam Legurtz
402 Posts
52 metre cable! :eek:

As your Rolec is new it will already have the newer/uprated RCBO fitted. Mine was installed in September and has the same green RCBO as yours by the looks of it and comparing it to other peoples in other threads it is the new type which (touch wood) hasn't given any trouble so far. (Although as my car can only draw 16 amps, it won't be stressing it much)
I should just state that 52 metres is from the Rolec, down the garden, up the side of the house, across a low-level loft space (1st floor underfloor), down into the under stairs cupboard and to the main Consumer Unit. The chaps started the install at 9am and were done by 2pm, which included a brief while for UK Power Networks to update the primary fuse to 100A.

With the car taking its first partial charge from the Rolec the current draw at the primary fuse tail is 20A - that of course includes the rest of the house's near-idle which is typically ~5A. So matching your Leaf's current draw.

I was taken aback at how sparse the Rolec is inside, unlike other pod points that I've seen in the social media.

Likes and Dislikes so far ...
- Its pure simplicity of plug in and thats it, the car's charging. No faff.
- The reassuring "clunk" of the contactor in the wall point as it powers on
- No need for WiFi or other monitoring shenanigans

Dislikes
- The type 2 plug does not lock in at the pod point (although it does at the car of course)
- The type 2 plug cap is exposed to the elements, particularly noticeable today. So I've popped it on top of the plug.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts