Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Bit of a random question which someone may know the answer to..

Getting my home charge point fitted today, just had a call to say due to supplier issued the 32A type 2 socketed point I wanted they cannot provide. Naturally I've taken the day off work for this so I have no choice but to settle for a type 1 tethered version they are offering me.

This then raises the question can the Rolec point be upgraded at a later date to a type 2 socket? If it can't there's no point me going for the 32A version as my Leaf doesn't charge at 7kw. The whole point was to future proof but that seems to be proving difficult with my chosen home charge point supplier..

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
I think there may be some issues upgrading to a Type-2 socket, but changing the cable to a Type-2 tethered version later is easy. Also, all of the cable from the consumer unit (fuse box) to the charger will be 32A-capable if you go for the 32A option, so the entire charger can be replaced easily later on if you want. If you go for the 16A version you would have to replace everything to get 32A.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah yes, I didn't think about a type-2 tethered upgrade. I guess that's the route to go down if and when I change cars in the distant future. Also good points re: 32A cabling, probably best to stick with that especially if the tethered cable is easy to swap out.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have a 32A Type 1 Tethered Rolec; If I switch from LEAF to BMW i3 I just need to replace the tether at a about a cost of £150, so I've been quoted. FYI I have a 32A Type 2 Matching Rolec socket being fitted tomorrow :)

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
This then raises the question can the Rolec point be upgraded at a later date to a type 2 socket?
In theory yes... you'll need a new EVSE Protocol Module ("EPC") and a 'pod' from Rolec with the Type 2 socket fitted... my guess is it won't be cheap.

My suggestion is hold out for the Type 2 socket and find another installer if necessary :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have selected @Thephoenixworks for my OLEV funded install tomorrow. They are also installing at 5 other location that I have referred to them. All of them are ROLEC units, some 16A Tethered, some 32A sockets. Why Rolec? Modular design easily upgradeable components mounted on a DIN rail.

The Phoenix works cover nationwide (are doing the South Coast over the next 2 day). Link :http://www.thephoenixworks.com

16A is free, 32A is £100+ VAT

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Had my Type 1 32A done by phoenix a couple of months back. Can't fault them excellent job. I agree with Grant that's why I chose them because I know they were using rolec units which will be easily upgradeable in the future.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it was done, many thanks for the info from everyone - by the time I saw your post Kevin they were here and busy fitting otherwise I probably would have cancelled and gone with someone else. I let it go ahead based on the fact that it is a Rolec and that I'm pretty confident in 5 years time there will be easy ways to upgrade the unit to suit whatever I get next!

They have done an excellent job on the install - fitted a consumer unit inside the garage, run some nice heavy duty cable up above in the garage rafters which then drops down to the Rolec unit, I chose to have it put central in the garage so I can run the cable outside if I decide to park on the driveway and charge during the day.

I never realized a meter was fitted as part of the installation, great to see how many KW's I use as time goes by - for anyone interested I used Elm EV - a local charge point installer who've recently announced on twitter that they are an official service provide for the DBT CEV rapids. They are going to be very busy I think!

·
http://ts.la/david3488
702 Posts
The Rolec is also cheap to power it costs about £1.13 if you leave it on for a year based on 0.13p per kWh :)
That includes the power used by the elmeg meter for gsm comms which is most likely the bulk of the consumption.
Glass of Krug anyone :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts