Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a ROLEC unit which was installed back in 2016 when I had a BMW i3. It used to intermittently click on and off during charging but I never knew any different and it did eventually charge. I got rid of my i3 in 2018 and have now since had a friend try to use it and it failed. I then tried to get it sorted before getting an ipace and the following is the array of faults. Unfortunately I am out of warranty but feel that the following has to be faulty/substandard components and from reading a few forums not uncommon.

1) ROLEC suggested it was the controller unit which I ordered. On opening the casing I noticed the RCB had burnt out at the neutral connection. They did replace that as a "gesture of good will".

2) That didn't work and on further examination noticed that the controller unit was also burnt out at the 5v connection. Tis was then replaced. Along with the casing as this also had cracks across it possibly from the heat damge.

3) this then worked for a while but then again failed. This time wires had burnt out at the connections on the back of the actual connector. The engineer cut these back and reconnected and it started working again.

4) Now my charging lead is stuck in the unit and I can't get it out at all. It still works to charge (at the moment) but obviously it can't be removed and therefore I have no lead for public charging points. I am awaiting an engineer to come and examine this.

Has anybody had similar issues and have they got them sorted and managed to hold ROLEC to account.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
Oh the quality delights of the Rolec product and their replaceable components. :rolleyes:
Each of those failures is not unusual, but all of them in one unit is.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Hi I have a ROLEC unit which was installed back in 2016 when I had a BMW i3. It used to intermittently click on and off during charging but I never knew any different and it did eventually charge. I got rid of my i3 in 2018 and have now since had a friend try to use it and it failed. I then tried to get it sorted before getting an ipace and the following is the array of faults. Unfortunately I am out of warranty but feel that the following has to be faulty/substandard components and from reading a few forums not uncommon.

1) ROLEC suggested it was the controller unit which I ordered. On opening the casing I noticed the RCB had burnt out at the neutral connection. They did replace that as a "gesture of good will".

2) That didn't work and on further examination noticed that the controller unit was also burnt out at the 5v connection. Tis was then replaced. Along with the casing as this also had cracks across it possibly from the heat damge.

3) this then worked for a while but then again failed. This time wires had burnt out at the connections on the back of the actual connector. The engineer cut these back and reconnected and it started working again.

4) Now my charging lead is stuck in the unit and I can't get it out at all. It still works to charge (at the moment) but obviously it can't be removed and therefore I have no lead for public charging points. I am awaiting an engineer to come and examine this.

Has anybody had similar issues and have they got them sorted and managed to hold ROLEC to account.
At some stage, one has to consider giving up on a rubbish product.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Some EV installers are refusing to install them as they are known problematic !.
I have a 32Amp Rolec and are on my third internal main breaker switch in about 4 years.
First breaker In the wall box would randomly trip out for no apparent reason.
One day, it tripped the breaker while the unit was just sitting idle on the garage wall !.
This was replaced at Rolec’s expense by the installer within about two weeks.
The second breaker lasted about 3.5 years then it failed.
Removing the cover revealed that the negative terminal had been getting very hot !.
The same installer discovered the issue when he was about to install a timer control in the unit.
All of the cables where still firmly attached, so he said the quality of the breaker was at question.
A new improved breaker was ordered from Rolec ( about £30 ish I think ) and this was installed about 4 months ago.
After about 2 months after the latest breaker was fitted, I isolated the unit and removed the front cover to check on its progress and check tighten the main cable terminals on the newly installed breaker.
All connections where still good a tight !.
No sign of discolouration on the copper tails as of yet.
Fingers crossed !.
I intend to carry out this practice about every 3 or 4 months now.
If this breaker displays ANY signs of failing, I will be replacing it with a higher quality breaker straight away.
I only decided to use a Rolec OEM breaker last time to conform with any warranty claims issues should they arise.
The Zappi unit is a much better quality unit, but is more expensive of course.
Buy cheap, but twice I guess !.
You get what you pay for.
If my unit completely turns its toes up, I would like to have a Zappi unit.
Just for the quality factor.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I've replaced the ECU witha Viridian Mainpine one, and the RCBO with a Garo. No way would I consider getting replacements from Rolec themselves - they seem to go for the cheapest stuff they can find. But I do like the fact that I can replace all these items myself, you're not tied to the mfr. Only item left might be the contactor some day, but touch wood that's still fine after 4 years.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i run a small electrical contracting firm, we fit hundreds of consumer units fitted with many manufactures RCD`s, the burning of the neutral terminal used to be a common fault.. right up until we started using "torque setting" screwdrivers.. im sorry to say it is most likely that insufficently tightend screws account for most if not all of these faults..
Gary

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Gary, what you say is no doubt correct. But there's deffo been a huge spate of Rolec RCBO failures, associated in particular with the top-left terminal as you look at the front. Here again are the pics I posted back in Jan 2019, of my RCBO which was starting to show this issue. I pulled it apart & took some very close-up pics; you can see that this terminal is only held in place by the outer plastic casings! This is the RCBO that Rolec have given up using; I'd love to see the insides of what they're shipping now!

You can see the contact area is small, and as the case flexes, and the spring tension on the arm that flicks over continues to push the casing & the terminal out, the contact-angle of the faces is going to get more angled, and smaller & smaller. It's crap, nothing less describes this item.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Gary, what you say is no doubt correct. But there's deffo been a huge spate of Rolec RCBO failures, associated in particular with the top-left terminal as you look at the front. Here again are the pics I posted back in Jan 2019, of my RCBO which was starting to show this issue. I pulled it apart & took some very close-up pics; you can see that this terminal is only held in place by the outer plastic casings! This is the RCBO that Rolec have given up using; I'd love to see the insides of what they're shipping now!
View attachment 131769
View attachment 131770

View attachment 131771

View attachment 131772

View attachment 131773

View attachment 131774

View attachment 131775

View attachment 131776

You can see the contact area is small, and as the case flexes, and the spring tension on the arm that flicks over continues to push the casing & the terminal out, the contact-angle of the faces is going to get more angled, and smaller & smaller. It's crap, nothing less describes this item.
The top picture displays the same breaker unit that I had fitted in my unit !.
It appears typical that the breaker unit starts to "Spread" apart, maybe due to heat created by poor internal materials, prior to failing.
I am pretty sure the "Trip" reset had failed first.
The second branded Rolec supplied breaker looked completely different, the breaker switch is green in colour.
I think anybody who still has the older type "Blue" switch breakers should consider changing them out as a matter of some urgency !.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts