Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Been to site this week to commission 4 x 32A TP Rolec quantum chargers and had this issue.
This issue relates to when my testing plug is inserted into the charging socket and calling for power, you hear the interlock trying to activate but constantly fails this being the case on all four outlets. The test equipment that is approved and calibrated has been used on multiple Rolec OCCP basic charge units on other sites with no issue. Why on site I asked to use a client’s car to see if the issue was just related to my test unit, I plugged a Mercedes in that had Mennekes branded charging connector lead and this worked fine, however I just thought I would double check with another couple of cars and different charging leads and the issue was back ruling out just an issue with my test equipment. I used a Tesla and a Mitsubishi and both charge leads failed on the interlock. I tried this in all four sockets. At this point I spoke to Rolec technical services for over an hour why on site. they asked me to open the units up and look at the interlock mechanism, this I did. The interlock unit is held down with two tiny screws, I was asked to remove the fixings and try and adjust the interlock to see if the pin was catching. When I removed the interlock unit you could see the locking pin that pushes out of the bottom, I inserted the charging lead that I had an issue with, back into the socket with the interlock removed and aligned the interlock unit back up with its mounting plate and with the pin extended (i.e., calling for charge). When the interlock unit was in position on the mounting plate and pin located back in the hole the unit would not be fix down with the screws as there was a 3 to 4mm gap between mounting plate and interlock unit. This in my opinion due to the interlock pin being to long.
I examined the different charging plugs on the end of the leads and noticed that the receiving holes for the interlock pins varied slightly in depth. After discussing all this with Rolec technical services and me asking why or how we resolve this issue, the suggestion was made to me by technical that the units need some sort of washers to pack the interlock pins up slightly. I am as a contractor not prepared to do this on brand new units. I asked if they could send replacement interlock units and the reply was that they are all the same and of a standard size! I replied that if this is the case why haven’t I had any issues with the interlock sockets on other Rolec sites, admittedly it’s the first time we have used the quantum range, but this should be regardless of type as the sockets should have a standard.

In the end as this matter could not be resolved on the day, I had allocated to commission the units on site. Rolec technical had to use the back office to disable all the interlocks on the socket outlets on this site until further action has been taken. This enabling my client to have use of the chargers.
Automotive tire Light Product Bicycle part Carbon
Automotive tire Light Product Bicycle part Carbon

1 - 1 of 1 Posts