Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have. MINI Countryman PHEV which I charge plugged into my Rolec charging point.
The MINI only charges at a low rate, I believe 3.6 kW per hour, this is not really a problem with a 7.2 kWh battery
i am changing to an EV6 later this year, will the Rolec unit be able to charge at a higher rate than for the MINI?

·
Registered
2021 Citroën ë-C4 Shine Plus
155 Posts
This depends on if your Rolec is a 32A unit to start with, or only a 16A.

If it is only a 16A unit, then it will only ever charge at 3.6 kW. However if it’s a 32A unit, it will charge at 7 kW assuming the cable is a 32A.

Is it tethered? Or does it have a type 2 socket?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
This depends on if your Rolec is a 32A unit to start with, or only a 16A.

If it is only a 16A unit, then it will only ever charge at 3.6 kW. However if it’s a 32A unit, it will charge at 7 kW assuming the cable is a 32A.

Is it tethered? Or does it have a type 2 socket?
It is tethered with a type 2 socket.
How would I tell if it is 16A or 32A?
The breaker in the fuse box is 40A
I am guessing that with the Rolec RCBO being marked C40, that is is a 32A unit

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
As it has a 40 A RCBO and is fed from a 40 A MCB I think you can be confident that it's a 32 A capable unit. The 16 A ones had 16 A RCBOs.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Rolec are nice to have as they're easy to diy repair. All the bits inside are separate & easily swapped. But the company has a reputation in this Forum for supplying very cr*ppy RCBOs that really belong in the skip. You have the Mk2 RCBO which they started fitting after the previous MK1s were burning out on a regular basis. Unfortunately it looks like the MK2 may also have problems. Here's a pic of the previous MK1, and and instance we know of of the MK2, overheating & burning out. The reason for the burnout is different in the 2 cases, but doesn't bode well for their choice of supplier. Garo is a trusted supplier, suggest you get one of heir equivalents about £20 & have it installed. May save you grief later.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with the above. Some time ago I collated as many photos of burned out Rolec RCBOs as I could find, really just to illustrate the extent of the problem. Rolec use very nasty Chinese crap, and it seems they just don't bother to do proper checks as to whether it really conforms to the standards it is marked with. Garo stuff is pretty much on a par with brands like Hager, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I believe the precise tyrpe recommended is an RCBO with Type A curve, but please get a proper sparky to confirm, as I'm not one. E.g. I believe this is a suitable replacement. Sparkies plz confirm?
Garo RCBO GRC40 40Amps 2Pole RCBO 30Ma Type A Curve 2 Module

Yes, that's fine, and a more or less direct replacement. For some odd reason Rolec choose to use curve C/curve 3 RCBOs, that are much slower to trip on overload. Not great practice, as the only time you should use those is if a curve B/curve 2 unit suffers from surge current nuisance tripping (big motor starters, for example). There's never a surge current when charging, as the chargers all ramp the current up fairly slowly, over a period of a few seconds.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rolec are nice to have as they're easy to diy repair. All the bits inside are separate & easily swapped. But the company has a reputation in this Forum for supplying very cr*ppy RCBOs that really belong in the skip. You have the Mk2 RCBO which they started fitting after the previous MK1s were burning out on a regular basis. Unfortunately it looks like the MK2 may also have problems. Here's a pic of the previous MK1, and and instance we know of of the MK2, overheating & burning out. The reason for the burnout is different in the 2 cases, but doesn't bode well for their choice of supplier. Garo is a trusted supplier, suggest you get one of heir equivalents about £20 & have it installed. May save you grief later.
View attachment 145717
I knew there has been lots of problems with the MK1 (blue) version of Rolec, but mine is the Mk2 (green) version.
So the question is has there been many failures of the green Mk2 RCBO?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I knew there has been lots of problems with the MK1 (blue) version of Rolec, but mine is the Mk2 (green) version.
So the question is has there been many failures of the green Mk2 RCBO?
Not as many, no, but I've looked at probably many hundreds of RCDs/RCBOs/MCBs over the years and the only ones I've seen with manufacturing defects that have caused burning are the ones in Rolec charge points, and that includes the newer green ones. The newer green ones don't seem as likely to burn out as the blue ones, but there are still examples of failed ones around, and that suggests they still may not be as safe and reliable as a proper brand name device, that really does have credible certification.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
As I wrote above, not many, off the top of my head two or three, compared with a dozen or so of the older blue. However, I've never seen this sort of burning failure in any brand name RCBO, RCD or MCB. I've seen a few burnt terminations, but every single one of those was caused by the person who installed it not torquing up the terminal screws properly. The blue Rolec RCBO failures weren't caused by this, they were caused by a high resistance in the internal connections inside the case of the RCBO. The green ones seem to fail in a similar way, just in a different location, as the overheating occurs on the side rather than at the N connection.

I have a very healthy suspicion of electrical products that originate from the Far East, as all the Rolec stuff tends to. I've seen far too much dodgy stuff, from cables that have undersized cores, though equipment that just isn't electrically safe to items that almost certainly have fake certification. As a decent, recognised brand name, RCBO costs less than £20, that seems a small price to pay for the peace of mind of knowing that a failure that results in burning is a vanishingly small probability.

·
Registered
2021 Citroën ë-C4 Shine Plus
155 Posts
I have ordered a Garo RCBO to have as a spare. I may just bite the bullet and swap out the Rolec one Just to be safe.
A wise decision indeed. I had a Garo on the shelf ready and waiting for when the Rolec one failed, which of course it did when I switched back to a vehicle that could charge at 6.6 kW

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Do bite that bullet!

My Mk1 40A Rolec RCBO lasted for 4-5 years ok while the 32A EVSE was charging my Ampera at 14A which is the max that car takes. I decided to replace the blue-text RCBO because it was starting to show signs of imminent failure, with the case beginning to bulge outwards at the top-left terminal. The plastic case is the only thing holding that terminal against the strong spring pressure from the internal flip-over thing! I put in a Garo instead, and that's fine now I'm charging Ioniq at 31.5A. I am quite sure the Rolec RCBO would have failed exactly as per the many other failures. We've heard of many instances where Rolec swapped out the failed RCBOs themselves, but of course simply put yet another same-brand one back in! I strongly recommend fitting the Garo at once, and keep the Rolec as a temporary backup in case it's ever needed (v unlikely). You don't want to start a time-critical charge for some important event only to find the Rolec's failed half way through & burnt the wiring badly!

·
Registered
268 Posts
If changing the RCBO, would it not be worth upgrading to a Type B (RCD type, not overload response curve) as per regulation 722.531.2.101 as the older Rolecs have no DC fault protection.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
If changing the RCBO, would it not be worth upgrading to a Type B (RCD type, not overload response curve) as per regulation 722.531.2.101 as the older Rolecs have no DC fault protection.
Yes it would, but a Type B probably won't physically fit in the case, as they are three mod wide, rather than two. The one in the left of the photo below is the one feeding one of our charge points, that shows how much wider they are:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts