Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice if anybody can help? I have been given an Audi E-tron Quattro 50 as company vehicle. I previously had a BMW 330e, for which I took the government grant and had a Rolec Type 2 with tethered cable fitted to side of house. It charged the BMW no problem for the length of time I had the car. The BMW was sold early February and I was temporarily given an non-EV car for a number of weeks before getting the E-Tron.
The first time I plugged the E-Tron in, it appeared to charge initially, but after around 5-10 mins, the indicator started flashing red and white. I then had to resort to plugging in with 3-pin plug or take the car down to our local railway station and plug in down there for a faster charge. I contacted Audi to see if they could assist, and they advised that there was a software update for the car and something mentioned in it about universal charging. I booked the car in for update and on returning home, plugged the home charger back in and it again appeared to be charging for the first 5 or 10 mins. When
I checked a short time later, the indicator was solid red this time. I had to use the manual release to get the cable back out and decided to try the 3-pin plug. It wouldn't recognise it this time and I had to use the manual release to get cable out. I took it down to the railway station and the type 2 wasn't recognised down there either and I had to use manual release again. The car has now been back to Audi and had a new charging unit replaced under warranty. I have no idea if the software update caused the issue or not. I also had the people who installed my original Rolec back out to the house and they have checked and it is still appears to be working as it should. I am now very reluctant to plug it back in the the car.
Anybody any ideas?

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
809 Posts
Personally, I don't think you'll know until you risk it and plug it back in. Do you have the same problem if you charge on another AC charger, and have you tried the charging sockets on both sides of the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Personally, I don't think you'll know until you risk it and plug it back in. Do you have the same problem if you charge on another AC charger, and have you tried the charging sockets on both sides of the car?
I'm not sure what the one at railway station is, but when I plug in my type 2 to type 2, it charges fine. I have tried both ports previously, but flashed red after 5 to 10 mins on both sides. The new charging unit that was fitted under warranty, was over £2k, hence the reason I am a bit reluctant to plug my Rolec back in, in case it does more damage. Audi can't offer a reason other than they recommend Pod Point chargers, but surely any type 2 charger should still work?

·
Live by the sword. Don't intend to die by it.
809 Posts
Audi can't offer a reason other than they recommend Pod Point chargers, but surely any type 2 charger should still work?
I would imagine so, and I don't know if they can demand you use a specific charger - that's both impractical and unreasonable. I understand your reluctance to risk it though.

If you say the E-Tron works fine with other chargers, then it suggests there might be a problem with your Rolec, whether that's a fault or an incompatibility is hard to say. Do you know anyone else local with an EV who could test your Rolec?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts