Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help;

I have moved into a new house which has a Rolec 16A Wallpod (type 2 connector) - This is supplied from the mains board via an Emlite ema1.a. I have a brand new BMW 330e.

When the RCD is on at the mains board, the Emlite meter comes on and the Rolec Wallpod flashes with a blue light. I plug my genuine BMW type 2 ("public charging") cable into my car (changed charging to 16A on iDrive) then into the Wallpod. Wallpod light stays solid blue and the car does not recognise any charging power.

Any suggestions? - I'm new to the electric car thing and don't have a clue. The car is charging fine with the 3pin but I wanted to be able to charge faster with the Wallpod.

Thanks,
Adam.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I have been sold a 3 phase cable - Guy at BMW said a "rapid" charging cable will be much better and I believe this is a 3 phase? Should I have been sold the normal "fast" charging cable?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,885 Posts
That should make no difference - it will be heavier but should work the same on single phase. Are you sure that you have it in the right way around and that it is seating fully at both ends?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I have been out to it a few times to double check I wasn't being an idiot. So a 3 phase cable won't affect anything if the supply is single phase?

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,885 Posts
Out of interest - the 330e will only charge at 3.6 kW regardless of single or three phase - why buy a 3 phase lead? I would expect this to be heavier and more expensive.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,885 Posts
Ok. So the car will charge now this minute on the granny lead but not on the Wall Box? I would suspect the lead in that case. Have you got a friend with another lead that you can try?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No I don't know anyone else with an EV. I might try the lead in a public charger and see what happens. As long as the cable I have "should" work with my charger unit I can eliminate that.

Edit: Yes the car is charging right now via 3pin plug.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Any idea how old the Rolec is? The early ones were pretty flaky but it was mainly in the switching mechanism so a solid blue light looks like it’s probably okay. It would trip out if it’s the usual problem.

I’ve not seen the 330e. I’m assuming it has timer controls for scheduled charging but would expect those to affect 13amp too?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Rolec was in the house when I moved in, not sure how old it is. The test button on the breaker on the charging unit trips it out so all seems well with the power supply. Just seems somewhere in the chain the car is not recognising the power supply and does not draw any electricity.

The car can schedule charging yes but it is set to charge immediately and has always charged immediately when connected with 3pin.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
5,885 Posts
Turn the breaker to the Wall Pod off tomorrow and take the front off and check the state of the RCBO - early units can burn out so as Gif says it is unlikely to be the issue but is worth checking for safety anyway.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Whereabouts are you?There may well be a member here close to you who can help. Eg if near Winchester, come & try my Rolec, it's untethered & works fine.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Same offer here in Leeds if you are nearby

Or visit a Tesco or another supermarket car park with Pod Point chargers - these work immediately for 15 minutes before activation so will allow you to test if your vehicle works with public charging and that the cable is OK. It should be fine, as the granny lead works and I would hope a brand new cable is OK, but this would eliminate a possible cause here.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the support, I live in Hucknall (Notts).

I went to a local Tesco today and the cable works fine at the Pod Point there.

I took the front off the Wallpod and it looks okay inside, no signs of damage etc. - My brother is an electrician and is having a look into it but he lives in Wales so there's only so much help he can be over video/phone call...

·
Registered
983 Posts
There are a couple of threads worth reading such as this one. Older chargers had the blue RCD which is known to be temperamental and prone to burn out. The newer green RCD seems to be better. If you have a pet electrician and a blue RCD I'd be inclined to get and fit a new one from Rolec or a third party and install that, provided of course the main box is salvageable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Wallpod has power, the light indicator flashes blue then when I have plugged in the car then to the unit, the light goes solid blue. If the RCD has burnt out, there wouldn't be any power to the unit would there and no light on?

I may be just as well getting a new unit fitted, either way I haven't paid for the unit I have as it was already in the garage when I bought the house.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
The leds on the Rolec are powered straight from the "brains" (ECU) module, which also powers the Contactor energisation coil. So if the Contactor has failed, the ECU won't know, and couldn't care less. This item usually makes a loud "thunk" when it contacts/dis-contacts.

Reactions: ElectricBeagle

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is no connection sound, only the LED stays steady blue. So you think the contactor has failed? - Easy fix?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts