Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First time posting here. Very excited to receive my e-208 GT in Faro Yellow, which should be arriving mid-November. It’s through a company lease scheme so not eligible for the Peugeot retail pod point offer I believe.

However the charge point question still needs resolving. We moved into a new build last year, which came with a Rolec car charger pre-installed in the garage (right by the door). There should be enough room between the door and the ground for the cable to fit. However, it is only Rolex’s basic 3 pin car charger but I know this can be upgraded to Rolec’s smart 7kw type 2 charger with an upgrade kit. Pictures of current unit attached.

My question is does anyone have experience of doing this / suggest where to start in getting prices etc?

I’m trying to figure out whether this is the cheaper/easier route than a brand new unit. I’m in the Bristol area if anyone has any recommendations for this work.

If it turns out this option is actually a nightmare and just as / more costly than starting new then I’m back to deciding options but that’s probably for another thread.

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well here's a guide to the parts costs (though that;s list, I'd expect an electrician with an account would get a discount) and that's assuming your existing supply and earthing are upto current wiring standards and doesn't need the RCD replacing or earth rods installing. As for installation, try ringing round some local electricians to get some quotes from a couple who are familiar with EV installations?

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Hi,

First time posting here. Very excited to receive my e-208 GT in Faro Yellow, which should be arriving mid-November. It’s through a company lease scheme so not eligible for the Peugeot retail pod point offer I believe.

However the charge point question still needs resolving. We moved into a new build last year, which came with a Rolec car charger pre-installed in the garage (right by the door). There should be enough room between the door and the ground for the cable to fit. However, it is only Rolex’s basic 3 pin car charger but I know this can be upgraded to Rolec’s smart 7kw type 2 charger with an upgrade kit. Pictures of current unit attached.

My question is does anyone have experience of doing this / suggest where to start in getting prices etc?

I’m trying to figure out whether this is the cheaper/easier route than a brand new unit. I’m in the Bristol area if anyone has any recommendations for this work.

If it turns out this option is actually a nightmare and just as / more costly than starting new then I’m back to deciding options but that’s probably for another thread.

Thanks
Tom
View attachment 136360 View attachment 136361 View attachment 136362
Do yourself a favour and throw the green and white plastic junk in the bin and install a proper EVSE. or even a 32A CEE socket

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'm with Freddym here, I was on a site where every house had these installed.

Apparently it's £400 to upgrade through rolec, backhanders galore to get these through.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
You also need to be sure that the cable connecting the EVSE to the CU is capable of handling 32A.

A nice thing about Rolecs is the items inside clip on a standard rail. For a lot less than the asking price you could replace the ECU inside (brains module) with a Viridian one £80, these allow variable current control. I've put one in my Rolec for just this purpose, tried my first ever 32A charge 2 nights ago on new Ev, kept tripping a 32A RCB near the CU, so I swapped out the Viridian resistor 32A vaue for the 16A vaue they provide, and that fixed it. Ok as a short-term fix; I'll install a rotary switch so I can select maybe 8 different charging currents, so I can aim to a) finish the charge just before I leave, and b) go for lower current charging when time allows, to make life easier on the battery.
You can swap the 16A Contactor £??? & RCBO £25 for commercial 32A good quality ones, and that's everyhing sorted except swapping that 13A socket for a Type-2 socket(untethered mode), or a Type-2 cable (tethered mode). evbitz may be able to advise on the connector cost, these bits aren't cheap. Total price should be noticeably less than that OEM kit I'd hope. Are you a diyer? Know a good Sparky?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies(y)

@WithEthyl I’d hope everything is up to scratch, the house was only built last year... no expert but looks like an earth rod is installed too?

I checked the consumer unit in garage (pic attached) and looks like it’s good for 100a so i would assume the set up is able to cope with 32a 7kw charger. If I’ve misinterpreted it though do say...

@HandyAndy no I’m not a DIY man, certainly not in terms of electrics anyway. Would need a sparky to do any work. Which understandably will mean costs won’t be kept as low as doing it myself.

Going on the cost of the Rolec upgrade kit plus a few hours labour can imagine it getting on for a £400+ then, which ties in with what @Jrtev mentioned. So at that point it’s almost the same cost for a new pod point, ohme or any others around the £500ish mark that I’ve forgotten about and then is there much point, may as well just get a new unit installed with the warranty etc?

I guess it’s probably worth tracking down a local sparky who does EV charging install and getting a more accurate cost for upgrading.

I guess if it is £400 for a new fully warranted unit form Rolec that someone other than me is installing that is cheaper than a brand new setup...

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I checked the consumer unit in garage (pic attached) and looks like it’s good for 100a so i would assume the set up is able to cope with 32a 7kw charger. If I’ve misinterpreted it though do say...
You are looking at maximum ratings printed on components, but the capacity of a power circuit is like a chain - limited to the weakest link. In your case (and probably most) this is likely to be the size of the cabling which is probably only sized to support the 16A installed (because fatter cable costs more and builders are cheapskates).

looks like an earth rod is installed too?
As the CU is labelled "TT Earthing System" that is probably correct.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I checked the consumer unit in garage (pic attached) and looks like it’s good for 100a so i would assume the set up is able to cope with 32a 7kw charger. If I’ve misinterpreted it though do say..
As mikegs says, earthing likely to be ok because 'TT' is earthing using an earthing rod, rather than the suppliers earth.

On the supply, this will need some investigation - where's the supply to this board come from, is it your main consumer unit, what's the CB rating on the supply, is it RCD protected at the main consumer unit? Your electrician will need to check the supply is sufficient for a 32A charge point (MCB, cabling etc) and is rated to carry sufficient for 32A charge point, socket, light.

One thing which will need checking is the RCD arrangements, the garage consumer unit doesn't appear to have one (but the 13A socket it supplies must be protected by one under the Regs) so it is likely to be protected by an RCD back at the main consumer unit, but if so then it will need to be a type A or type B RCD (depending on chargepoint) to cope with any DC faults, so may need some work at the main CU and the RCD arrangements to ensure it's suitable for supply an EV chargepoint

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So at least there does seem to be an earthing. No idea if the cabling is set up for 16a or 32a, will need a electrician to confirm that I guess.

I’ve also attached a pic of the main CU from inside the house, maybe this can help some you more knowledgeable folk advise on my setup. Are there limitations on what my current setup would allow, ie. is it apparent if I am set up for 32a 7kw charging if I started from scratch instead of trying to upgrade the existing thing?

EDIT:

so the sticker to the garage MCB is out of place with the RCD for some reason. But the way I read it it seems the main consumer unit has an 32a MCB for the garage and it is protected by the main 100a master trip to the right of it. Im guessing based on how it is lined and applying what I think is electrical logic... feel free to correct me I really am not an expert

·
Registered
308 Posts
So at least there does seem to be an earthing. No idea if the cabling is set up for 16a or 32a, will need a electrician to confirm that I guess.
If you can see any markings stamped on the black supply cable that may give you a guide, typically the number of cores and size is stamped on the sheath ie. 2 or 3 core, x mm2..

I’ve also attached a pic of the main CU from inside the house, maybe this can help some you more knowledgeable folk advise on my setup. Are there limitations on what my current setup would allow, ie. is it apparent if I am set up for 32a 7kw charging if I started from scratch instead of trying to upgrade the existing thing?
EDIT:
so the sticker to the garage MCB is out of place with the RCD for some reason. But the way I read it it seems the main consumer unit has an 32a MCB for the garage and it is protected by the main 100a master trip to the right of it. Im guessing based on how it is lined and applying what I think is electrical logic... feel free to correct me I really am not an expert
It looks like the garage supply is from the 32A RCBO between the main switch and the RCD. The RCBO has an RCD and MCB in one combined unit.

There's a couple of potential issues - your electrician will need to check whether the RCD within the RCBO is the right type (RCD Type A or B) to supply an EV chargepoint; it may need upgrading. Also the supply to the garage will need to accommodate the load from the sockets and lights.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here’s a questions. If I was go to pod point say would all of these checks and any required work be included in their price, which is something like £550ish after the grant?

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Here’s a questions. If I was go to pod point say would all of these checks and any required work be included in their price, which is something like £550ish after the grant?
Depends. There is usually small print to exclude anything they didn't know about.
If they visit to survey before quoting then they should be able to give a solid price ... If they rely on you to send photos then be prepared for clawbacks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you, that makes sense.

there’s a lot more to this than I thought. Thought being a new build with a charger, albeit basic, being in situ should hopefully be set up to go... shows my understanding of domestic electrics I guess. I think I could do with getting an electrician out to check our setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts