Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once more i have issues with the Rolec 32amp home charging unit. the unit is very basic it contains a 32amp rcb, a siemens ev controller and a connector module. The fault again is the siemens controller it is causing false handshakes between vechile and unit 2 previous times totally failed. So once more will have to replace it, this will be the third time I will have to replace the Siemens ev controller. On average the controller lasts 10 months before repacement required. I will once again contact the company that is an agent for rolec if they are indeed agents still as last time I spoke to them they were going to drop the rolec unit. Hardly surprising given the unreliabilty of the unit which is a shame as the unit design is quite good except for the Siemens ev controller which is an unreliable part, I have one advantage on talikng about this as I am a qualified electrician and work in an industry where I work with electronics every day. So going forward i will ask for part to be re-supplied as the part was still under warranty. If I can find a different make of controller apart from Siemens i would replace it. So the question is has anyone found a better ev control unit than the siemens which frankly is rubbishh.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
The Viridian EVSE controller works a treat, and is pretty much a drop-in replacement for what's in a Rolec (I think the only difference is the wiring required for the LED) is subtly different.

EVSE Protocol Controller

Note that there's two different versions - one that supports locking sockets, and the other supported tethered cables.
The pricing of the units to support higher current is because they can actually support multiple different contactors and breakers for different current, so if it advertises 16A, it can make sure that if the vehicle actually draws more than specified, it will trip the appropriate sized breaker. Belt and braces for safety.

My Rolec has a Rolec branded EVSE controller.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Yes the Viridian ECU will go straight in. (I fitted one to let me play with variable charging). The Led current direction is reversed so cannot connect to the front panel mounted LED lamp, so you simply remove that altogether and fit a clear plastic window instead. Or clear tape is ok if Rolec is undercover. The Viridian has a built-in led which you can see easily through the hole. Sorted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts