Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a weird experience that i can re-produce, and i'm wondering if other etron owners have experienced.
Stop on a steep hill, and long enough for the engine to shut off. Then, when starting back up, press the accelerator while still pushing on the break, the car will get NO acceleration, and as you take your foot off the break the car rolls back, with no way to accelerate no matter how hard you press on gas. Very scary.

I have since learned that there is a brake hold feature, so my bad habit of keeping my foot on the break was definitely part of the problem, but it still seems to me that once my foot was off the break i should have been able to accelerate.

has anyone else experienced this. is this an actual problem or just bad driving behavior on my part? It's my first audi and my first EV.

thanks for your thoughts/experience.

·
Registered
537 Posts
In the GTE I use the brake hold all the time!

We live on the side of Dartmoor, and do it's rather hilly round here, and never had any problems.

I think you just need to stick to using one foot for the pedals! If you need to you can manually control the handbrake - you can apply some "gas" with the handbrake on, and then release it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Ah OK, I understand now then. I think perhaps the car has some sort of programming to protect the motor from getting worn out if the accelerator and brake are pressed at the same time. If you just take your foot off the brake, it shouldn't roll back anyway and if the hill is really steep you could engage the handbrake. The other thing is could have something to do with regen: by stepping on the brake you are telling the motor to generate power, whilst by stepping on the brake you are telling it to use power and it can't do both at once.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You can also apply the E-Brake with the car in "D" to stop the car "creeping" when stationary in a line of traffic. This means you don't have to sit with your foot on the brake (and the rear brake lights blinding the driver behind at night).

Once you step on the gas pedal, the E-Brake disengages and you move off.

My 2014 A4 had this as an automatic feature so once the car came to a stop, the E-Brake light would appear on the dash and you could take your foot off the brake pedal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Modern cars of what ever type often cut the power when you put your foot on the brake. You can 'heel and toe' but only with the clutch in. I.E. try driving along and putting your foot on the brake and accelerating at the same time, and it won't let you. I should think if you take your foot off both pedals and them re-accelerate it would then drive forward, but you would have rolled a fair way backwards and gained some momentum by then! I use the hill hold button or just apply the electronic park brake. As I still drive a manual as my other car, I only use my right foot for that stuff.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You can also apply the E-Brake with the car in "D" to stop the car "creeping" when stationary in a line of traffic. This means you don't have to sit with your foot on the brake (and the rear brake lights blinding the driver behind at night).
I'll have to check that as I was informed that the rear brake lights remain on while the car remains in "D". Maybe a night time job!

·
Registered
385 Posts

Once you step on the gas pedal, the E-Brake disengages and you move off.

My 2014 A4 had this as an automatic feature so once the car came to a stop, the E-Brake light would appear on the dash and you could take your foot off the brake pedal.
I think the e-brake is an option. I have it on mine, but I think I had to pay extra for it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
E-Brake = handbrake to us Brits. The switch type is fitted as standard. As Rocketroy says, it's the auto hold that's an option. I chose it on my A4 but the E-tron I have was a cancelled order and not in the build (unfortunately).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Modern cars of what ever type often cut the power when you put your foot on the brake. You can 'heel and toe' but only with the clutch in. I.E. try driving along and putting your foot on the brake and accelerating at the same time, and it won't let you. I should think if you take your foot off both pedals and them re-accelerate it would then drive forward, but you would have rolled a fair way backwards and gained some momentum by then! I use the hill hold button or just apply the electronic park brake. As I still drive a manual as my other car, I only use my right foot for that stuff.
it's interesting because i was unconsciously doing this in my previous car (acura RDX) and it does NOT prevent me from accelerating, so it only fed my bad habit... i'm definately getting from the consensus here that i should just have confidence in the brake hold feature, and in fact i haven't rolled back since i fixed my behavior, so i appreciate everyone's comments!!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Auto hold works well at traffic lights and junctions. You stop using the foot brake, and take your foot off. Auto Hold applied the brakes automatically - and keeps the brake lights lit.

To turn the brake lights off, pull on the handbrake (e-brake)

You can keep it in drive in both of these modes, as soon as you touch the "gas" it will take off the brakes.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I leave hold assist on all the time and don't recall the last time I even touched the handbrake (except when leaving the car parked). Possibly the best £90 I ever spent and wouldn't want a car in the future without it. As much as I love the e-tron it truly has made me a lazy driver.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I leave it on all the time but I play with the e-brake switch when I want to move the car a short distance without having to put on my seat belt - I just have to remember to re-engage it afterwards.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I leave it on all the time but I play with the e-brake switch when I want to move the car a short distance without having to put on my seat belt - I just have to remember to re-engage it afterwards.
I'm pretty sure the car moves without seat belts on. Any other reason why you'd want to deactivate the e-brake.

·
Registered
204 Posts
because it only switches itself off automatically if the seat belt is on - which isnt worth the hassle for 10-20ft - this has been discussed elsewhere too about the car switching itself off when you open the door so someone took his seatbelt off and then passed it behind his back and re-plugged it in and then opened the door and it doesnt switch off.

This is the other side of the coin - I don't mind the switch off, just the seat belt which I find takes longer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts