Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that the ID.3 has 2 recesses in the top of the door frame in each door. They look like they're made to locate roof bars, but the car's not certified for a roof load!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,294 Posts
Super dangerous?

A car not being homologated for roof bars isn’t the same thing as not being suitable for roof bars.

The A to C Pillar roof line will be high strength steel to cope with rollover regs, and as the roof bars linked to have a TüV certificate I wouldn’t have any concerns personally.

I’m sure there would be the usual warranty/tell your insurer etc caveats of course, but does anybody do that for tailgate mounted racks, which I’m sure aren’t homologated for most vehicles either?

·
Premium Member
6,294 Posts
So not illegal then?
No, not illegal.

Why do you think it might be?

We’ve been down this rabbit hole with tow bars, even when a car isn’t homologated for towing, if you can safely fit a tow bar then there is no legal reason you can’t use it for carrying a tow bar mounted bike rack for example.

I have a letter from the U.K. DfT confirming exactly that, I’d say this is in the same camp, but also understand if people wouldn’t want to go anywhere near the idea. 🙂

·
Registered
69 Posts
I didn't know, so thought I would check. Ignorance of the law being no defence and all that.

But good to know this can be used as it will be handy for me when picking up lumber for my various projects.

·
Registered
63 Posts
On the topic of roof racks what is the general preference?
Bike roof rack vs boot mounted one?

Boot rack have horror stories of ruining the paint and with roof rack it is a certainty that I will forget about it and crash into something, besides I don't have a fancy carbon bike that can be lifted with one hand...
It is a leased car so tow hitch is off the menu :cry:

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Moonstone Grey. (On order)
179 Posts
I would only put a roof mounted one on the ID3. I don't think the rear tailgate would stand the force of a bike rack on it.

·
Registered
iD.3 Family, Moonstone Grey. (On order)
179 Posts
What makes you say that?
Having a look at my wife's ID3 the rear tailgate seems very lightweight. I would have thought that the force of a tailgate mounted rack would perhaps damage it. Many of the tailgate racks can't be fitted to vehicles that have the plastic roof 'spoiler' extension that many modern cars have for aerodynamics, including the ID3.

·
Registered
63 Posts
No, not illegal.

Why do you think it might be?

We’ve been down this rabbit hole with tow bars, even when a car isn’t homologated for towing, if you can safely fit a tow bar then there is no legal reason you can’t use it for carrying a tow bar mounted bike rack for example.

I have a letter from the U.K. DfT confirming exactly that, I’d say this is in the same camp, but also understand if people wouldn’t want to go anywhere near the idea. 🙂
In Germany using an item that is not dorectly homologated to your vehicle is often illegal...

As a recently discovered, for example after market wheels must have a TÜV homologation specifically for you car version!(Model, year and version)

Otherwise you can get a fine and get the insurance voided...

But I'm no expert in automotive law in UK or Germany so I can't saw for sure if it also applies for bike carriers...

Now let me go bat to my daily dose of anxiety by not being able to decide where to carry my goddam bike...

·
Premium Member
6,294 Posts
In Germany using an item that is not dorectly homologated to your vehicle is often illegal...

As a recently discovered, for example after market wheels must have a TÜV homologation specifically for you car version!(Model, year and version)

Otherwise you can get a fine and get the insurance voided...

But I'm no expert in automotive law in UK or Germany so I can't saw for sure if it also applies for bike carriers...

Now let me go bat to my daily dose of anxiety by not being able to decide where to carry my goddam bike...
Last time I looked, Germany had some of the strictest laws around vehicle modifications, but actually the TüV certification setup actually helps people in other countries as it helps demonstrate something is fit for purpose.

In my discussion with the DfT around the fitting of tow bars to vehicles not homologated for towing, they saw no legal problems with fitting a suitable one to a vehicle for carrying bikes etc. They did say however that it wouldn’t exempt you from prosecution should the worst happen.

Ultimately, it’s up to you as the driver to make sure any load you’re carrying is safe, you can still be prosecuted for having an unsafe load on even a homologated car/roof rack combo, so it would be up to you to satisfy the authorities that you’d taken every reasonable step to ensure safety should you ever end up in court.

That’s a gloomy view though, the reality is that every summer thousands of people fit a rack to a car and have no issues whatsoever, whether it’s homologated or not.

·
Registered
ID3 1st Edition in Glacier White
368 Posts
TeslaBjorn did a YouTube on the ID3 bike carrier, I think certified to 55kg off the towbar, but check!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, I mean the rules on roof racks has always been clear, the load should be secure and safe.

but that still doesn't stop VW Polo drivers fitting Ikea flat packs to the roof, with no roof bars, just a bit of carpet and a bit of string. I think we have all seen this.

I'll ask my local garage about roof bars nearer the time I need them. With Hornbach (B&Q equivalent in Germany) once again open (at least for now), that time could be sooner than I think.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yeah, I mean the rules on roof racks has always been clear, the load should be secure and safe.

but that still doesn't stop VW Polo drivers fitting Ikea flat packs to the roof, with no roof bars, just a bit of carpet and a bit of string. I think we have all seen this.

I'll ask my local garage about roof bars nearer the time I need them. With Hornbach (B&Q equivalent in Germany) once again open (at least for now), that time could be sooner than I think.
Funny you should mention Polo drivers (although I have a Polo GTI+). These numbskulls (OK, it's an Ibiza, same size as a Polo) were heading to my local beach (Whitley bay)...

·
Registered
Seat Ibiza- contemplating an ID.3
126 Posts
As an Ibiza driver... I just want to say I've never been that spectacularly stupid!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts