Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Leaf 40kwh Tekna
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, having seen a recent post about the MG5 not allowing any roof load, and the fact that I was planning to use our Leaf to carry a roofbox I looked into what the roof load limit was on out car.

I was surprised to see it is only 35kg. So with bars and box taken into account only allowing 15kgs of load.

Why is this so low? What are the implications for going over this limit as the car is obviously designed to be able to support more than this?

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated thanks. Has anyone used bars and a roofbox often on their leaf?

Thanks in advance

Jonno

Reactions: Jez48

·
Registered
50 Posts
Agreed, almost an unusable rating, ok for a couple of bikes! Cannot even stand on the roof-rack!. Most cars are least 75Kg, earlier cars with the old style racks could be up to 125Kg.
Used to carry a lazer dingy, trolley, windsurfer and kayak on the roof of my 'B' reg Cavalier II. that lot must have been cir. 160 Kg..!
Oh the days when cars were useful work-horses.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have just got a set of bars (test drive results here). Agree you can't get much weight in, but my interest is currently more for lots of bulky but light camping kit (sleeping bags, clothing etc.).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts