Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so first off, I'm lazy so don't want to keep taking the roof rack on and off, therefore I'm debating just leaving it on all the time! I haven't yet fitted it, but was wondering what sort of impact I'd see on efficiency. Is it low while empty, or does it have significant impact?

To be clear this would just be the roof rack, no box, bikes, etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Ok, so first off, I'm lazy so don't want to keep taking the roof rack on and off, therefore I'm debating just leaving it on all the time! I haven't yet fitted it, but was wondering what sort of impact I'd see on efficiency. Is it low while empty, or does it have significant impact?

Thanks!
The roof rack will have a zero efficiency, does that help:cool:

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,520 Posts
I don't think you would notice any difference in low speed, short city driving.

As soon as you get in and over the 50s mph, you will notice it. How much, I don't know.

*That is general statement, I don't have experience with EV + roof rack

Reactions: gem

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I don't yet have enough experience with fast driving my e-niro to know what to expect regarding efficiency! Maybe I'll just go for it!

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,520 Posts
Thanks, I don't yet have enough experience with fast driving my e-niro to know what to expect regarding efficiency! Maybe I'll just go for it!
You will find a lot of information on this sub-forum about efficiency of the eNiro. On the motorway, in this weather around 3 - 3.5m/kWh. In the summer, easily above 4m/kWh.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,686 Posts
Again a non-EV comment.
You might get noises off.

I once took a car into the dealers thinking the differential had gone as there was a horrible howling noise at about 40mph.

Turns out it was the wind in the roofrack! :sneaky:

·
Registered
38 Posts

Thanks!
After a long trip from S. to N. Wales and through the mountains of Snowdonia with roof rack, roof box, 3 adults, 1 baby and 2x eBikes on the back I was amazed how little impact all the extra weight had. This was on major and minor roads and not at motorway speeds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts