Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I have a set of "Yakima Whispbar" roof bars, with the standard slot fitment that takes a couple of Thuke bike racks. All fine. That's for a Leaf 30.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
@Brent Brown Nissan do one for the Leaf 40. I saw it on a showroom car at Chorley Nissan in Burnley when I was collecting my New Leaf Tekna on Thursday.

If you look online you will see it as an accessory on the configurator.

I believe Thule also do one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Brent Brown Nissan do one for the Leaf 40. I saw it on a showroom car at Chorley Nissan in Burnley when I was collecting my New Leaf Tekna on Thursday.

If you look online you will see it as an accessory on the configurator.

I believe Thule also do one.
I wrote to Thule, and their reply was they do not cover the New Nissan Leaf due to the curvature of the roof.
I have looked at the Nissan Roof Bar and it is clearly a rebranded Thule, so I suspect Nissan have exclusively got the rights for x months.
Not too worried on aerodynamics as this is for short journeys to the forest
Will update with pictures once I have received it and see if there are part numbers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wrote to Thule, and their reply was they do not cover the New Nissan Leaf due to the curvature of the roof.
I have looked at the Nissan Roof Bar and it is clearly a rebranded Thule, so I suspect Nissan have exclusively got the rights for x months.
Will update with pictures once I have received it and see if there are part numbers.
I've had a look ..can't see the roof rack attach slots on our 2.zero

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I've had a look ..can't see the roof rack attach slots on our 2.zero

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
There aren’t any........ it’s the clip to the car system I think.

·
Still charging...
151 Posts
That's weird as Nissan never had the 24/30 type approved for a roof rack (despite their marketing department repeatedly posting pictures of a car driving long distance on some challenge with a roof rack). Despite this Thule produced a foot pack and I got one it works just fine of course. I would not be surprised if its the same fitment 24/30/40 given that the "new" Leaf is lets be honest structurally a facelift not a redesign.

Here is my post about range experience when we went on hols:
Range with Roofbox/Bars?

With the 30kWh I would plan for no more than 85 mile segments between charges, so with 33% more battery pack your looking at around 100+ I would say with eco driving skills.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nissan are charging £288 for the roof rack. As I already had a set of Thule wing bars (969), I ordered the rapid foot pack (754) and the rapid fitting kit (1633) from roofracks.co.uk for just over £100. If it didn't fit I could always send it back, no need to worry as they fit perfect. If you had to buy the whole kit they would charge £199.95 so still a big saving over the Nissan version.

The reason I choose roofracks.co.uk was they say Nissan leaf 2010+, other sites say 2010 to 2017 and do not do one for the 2018. As was said earlier probably a deal with Nissan and Thule for exclusive rights for a while.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Nissan are charging £288 for the roof rack.
Shop around !

You can find an allegedly genuine set of Nissan roof bars on ebay for £100 less than that. Cycle racks that fit any bars are readily available from under £20 (per bike)

Or indeed a universal set of bars secured with straps through door opening is only £31
EASY RACK SOFT ROOF RACK BARS FOR NISSAN LEAF 11-ON | eBay

Or there are several other sets of bars available if you search ebay.

Absolutely no idea how good any of these would be !

·
Registered
845 Posts
I've just bought a set of roof bars for £75 from eBay. Reluctant to recommend them (yet) as I have some reservations about whether they're a safe fitting ( see How many 40kWh Leaves have been sold ? for explanation).

However, I'm fairly confident that for the sort of use I have in mind they'll be adequate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nissan are charging £288 for the roof rack. As I already had a set of Thule wing bars (969), I ordered the rapid foot pack (754) and the rapid fitting kit (1633) from roofracks.co.uk for just over £100. If it didn't fit I could always send it back, no need to worry as they fit perfect. If you had to buy the whole kit they would charge £199.95 so still a big saving over the Nissan version.

The reason I choose roofracks.co.uk was they say Nissan leaf 2010+, other sites say 2010 to 2017 and do not do one for the 2018. As was said earlier probably a deal with Nissan and Thule for exclusive rights for a while.
So I took the leap and bought the 1366 fitting kit. It does not fit the 2018 leaf.

Need a roof rack for the weekend so have to go for the Nissan ripoff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can the roof rack system cope with three normal adult bikes?

I presume it can handle two easily but amn’t sure if it could cope with a third one.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Can the roof rack system cope with three normal adult bikes?

I presume it can handle two easily but amn’t sure if it could cope with a third one.
How heavy are your bikes?

I’m sure the roof can cope with 50kg, many vehicles can cope with 75-100kg, depending on the roof loading.

My ‘heavy’ full suspension’ mtb weighs about 11kg. My road bike is about the same. Even allowing for the roof bars & feet, you should be able to get at least 3 bikes on the roof.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts