Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got any recommendations for roof bars (and boxes) suitable for an eGolf? Obviously something with the smallest amount of drag and around 150 litres would be ideal.

Are there any important considerations to take when using one? e.g. I'm guessing that the range estimator can't take into consideration the extra drag so in practise you'll have to take whatever number it gives and minus whatever percent.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Has anyone got any recommendations for roof bars (and boxes) suitable for an eGolf? Obviously something with the smallest amount of drag and around 150 litres would be ideal.

Are there any important considerations to take when using one? e.g. I'm guessing that the range estimator can't take into consideration the extra drag so in practise you'll have to take whatever number it gives and minus whatever percent.
I am going to use Thule roof bars on my car, when it arrives. They also do a roof box. I think that the range estimate will take into account the extra drag caused by the roof rack. Clearly it can't calculate what that drag will be but as it will impact performance it will be able to calculate that you are now driving less miles per kW than before. However, don't expect it to come up with a new estimate after you have just bolted the roof rack on and not driven anywhere. It is a dynamic process just as range would be impacted if you drove into the prevailing wind for a couple of hours or the temperature dropped etc. In short the car will estimate based on an algorithm that takes into account known information (what has happened) with current information (what is happening).

·
Registered
123 Posts
I order a set of Thule bars in readiness. I also got lucky and picked up a set of Thule 754 feet and bases off eBay for a very sensible price as the previous owner listed them as being off a Golf Plus but reading the numbers on the moulded feet they were actually off a MK7 Golf 5 door.

For aero I went for the wing bars which have a better profile and should help with noise and reduced drag as this is more important on an EV.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Look on eBay bars and feet cost just over £100. There are a set of genuine rubber mats on there for an e-Golf for £40. Wished I had left these and ordered that way instead of paying nearly double but was not sure I would find a set.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. I went for the Thule wingbar (969), feet (754) and adapter (1710) - sort of wish I'd shopped around earlier and got the feet off eBay like some other suggested. Had a couple of niggles getting it all put on.

The first was getting the feet onto the wingbar; it was pretty stiff trying to get it onto the rail but a bit of olive oil for lube fixed it.

The second was that for the rear bar, I had to set the y-scale to 30 rather than the suggested 31 so that the clamps sat flush with the underside of the door frame. I had it more or less 710mm from the front bar and played around with it a little but changing the y-scale seemed to work out better. Still not as flush as the front legs but it'll do.

I haven't done any sort of testing to see what it does to the range but a mix of motorways and A roads today (with just the roofbars) seemed to make a negligible difference - but it could be just the warmer weather we've been having lately too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts