Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking into getting roofbars and a box for our Leaf to aid us on our camping trips, and have gleaned the following from threads on the site:

- Nissan doesn't support using roofbars as Leafs aren't sufficiently tested, but lots of people have used them successfully.
- the max weight recommended, including the box and bars, is 40kg
- Affect on the range is around 5-10 miles, although this can depend on the box.

My questions are:

- Do I need to alter my insurance if I use roofbars?
- What is a good make of bars and box for the leaf? I'm looking into Halfords products, but it seems that Thule bars are highly recommended - do Thule bars that fit a 2017 Leaf fit the new 2018 Leaf as well?
- What is the maximum size box should I get, for clearance of the aerial?

Many thanks!

·
Ev Pioneer Leaf Accenta 24kw Gen 1
156 Posts
I am going to watch this thread because I have the same predicament, Camping and mountain biker. I can't get a bike rack for my leaf because of the Solar Panel.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
There's a few old threads on Thule bars. I bought some but I'm light on information as I haven't actually used them yet!
Insurance... nope (at least I hope not!)
Intention was for a small roof box and maybe bike carriers.
Turns out I'm generally too lazy to cycle ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok good news. I bought the 1366 pack and thought they did not fit so bought the real kit from Nissan. It turns out looking at the individual part numbers it is a 1366 fitting kit 100% the same as the old leaf.

So nissan very expensive roof bars went back and Thule kit stayed. Proof in the pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Just to clarify... You used the Thule fitkit for pre 2017 on a 2018 Leaf?

I've been in contact with Thule Customer support since March trying to get answer out of them... Their last response came today with this... (which i think is a bit of BS), which lead me to this posts...

Unfortunately we still do not have a current fit for this vehicle we are waiting to see if the 2019 roof line changes before we develop a new fit for the 2018

Best Wishes,
Thule Customer Service
If what your saying is what I think is what you're saying you might have saved me 700$ converting over to Yakima racks!

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Full report on my efforts:

I got around to getting Thule wingbars, with the footpacks and a Hapro Roady 350 roof box, both from the Roof Box Company. All told came to £357.90, probably could've gotten that lower if I'd bought them at the same time instead of a few weeks apart! That included the free box hoist offered with the box.

The bars were easy to fit, and I did them to the exact measurements given in the instructions. The box was simple to assemble, though I needed to drill a couple of holes to fit the bars. I drilled the pre-formed dimples, and found that this meant I had to move the rear bars back a centimetre or so, but this hasn't given any issues. Due to adding holes, I ran out of the stickers provided to cover the unused holes, had to use masking tape for a couple.

Once I'd finished this fitting, I marked the front edges of each foot with some black masking tape on the black roof guttering strip, so future fitting is a simple matter of lining the feet up to the tape, so much simpler!

The box is great, more spacious than I thought, made camping much easier. With the bars and box factored in I can put 22kg in, which has been more than enough for a small suitcase of clothes and other light sundries. I've just done our first long trip with it all fitted, and didn't notice a significant difference to the mileage (sorry, I'm not a number cruncher).

As for storage, we take it off as a complete unit when it's not needed, bars still attached to the box, and store the whole thing in the garage using the hoist that we opted for with the box. As soon as I can actually get pictures to upload to this bloomin' forum I'll post some.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
20180504_162710.jpg 20180505_174844.jpg 20180505_174853.jpg 20180513_192953.jpg
Here's some pictures, showing that the box gave ample room to avoid the aerial, even centrally placed.

As for insurance, Aviva said I should include these as a modification on the vehicle, and it hasn't affected my payments.

Hope that all helps!! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts