Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm about to replace the tyres on the front of my Leaf 30.

Normally I'd then swap the wheels round to leave the better tyres on the rear of the car.

However, will this confuse the Leaf's TPMS, or will it re-learn where each of the sensors is?

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,
a303

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Not tried it but wondering why you asked the question ?

Surely all you really get from TPMS is that one tyre seems a bit lower than the other three - but if I noticed that I'd check all 4 with an airline and blow up as I go.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
You can read them individually in LEAFSpy and swap them around.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 24 Tekna '64 reg
1,396 Posts
During last dealer service, I asked them to do front/rear wheel swap last October. They wanted to charge me something absurd for re-setting the TPMS system. I declined and asked them to simply fit front to rear, rear to front after servicing. All done for free :D

When I got home, after setting correct pressure as specified in LeafSpy, its reading showed correct tyre pressure in the correct tyres. So the car must have auto-calibrated, or the garage technician has set the system for me.

So, I think it should be safe to simply swap the tyres. If you have Leafspy, check pressure reading and you can correct it in Leafspy Pro (is pro needed? I'm not sure). End of the day, if positions doesn't register correct, as mentioned, position isn't very important because you should always check all 4 tyre pressure when the TPMS warning flash up anyway.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
When I got home, after setting correct pressure as specified in LeafSpy, its reading showed correct tyre pressure in the correct tyres. So the car must have auto-calibrated, or the garage technician has set the system for me.
Or is it possible that each 'wheel bay' has an individual receiver that reads only the nearest tyre ?

Reactions: wyx087

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.

I wasn't sure what the car would do - error message because it can't find the sensors it is expecting; showing wrong wheel if it does detect low pressure; or learning and working perfectly!

I don't really want it giving misleading warnings, as it won't be me driving the car most of the time.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Speaking of TPMS, does anyone here keep a separate set of summer and winter wheels, if so how do you deal with the TPMS ?

Can Leafspy pair and un-pair/re-pair TPMS sensors as summer/winter wheel sets are swapped over ?

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
The LEAF can keep two sets of TPMS sensors in its memory at a time, so Summer and Winter wheels are no problem.
LEAFSpy can be used to forget wheel sensor sets.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Or is it possible that each 'wheel bay' has an individual receiver that reads only the nearest tyre ?
That's exactly what it does, but if one sensor is more powerful than another it can misread. Hence the need to check with LEAFSpy if you want to identify particular wheel. Whilst I have LEAFSpy Pro I prefer to pump them all up when doing one.

Reactions: EricM
1 - 9 of 9 Posts