Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 Project 45
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have watched /read many ev drivers accounts of longer distance travel in their Bev. It appears to be a case of drive about 40 miles at 50-55mph then charge 20-30minutes. A good practice so that if the rapid their at doesnt work they can reach the next. So it seems that any long trip equates to actually covering 40 miles every hour. This is assuming rapids are all available and en route. Is this a reasonable rule of thumb figure to estimate a longer journey before you actually sit down and plan it?

·
Super Moderator
7,508 Posts
If you're talking about a Leaf, it's not far off.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
We do have to be careful not to generalise and assume the Leaf equates to all EVs. I would say that for the Leaf it isn't far off but for other models, that perhaps have more range, slower or different charging capability etc it will probably be quite different.

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
So it seems that any long trip equates to actually covering 40 miles every hour.
Very dependent on the car and charging capabilities/availability... looking at the Leaf that is currently driving from Micheldever to Aviemore you can see that yesterdays 350 mile trip averaged 24 miles every hour when using CHAdeMO rapid charging;

https://speakev.com/threads/our-big-trip-micheldever-to-aviemore.4862/#post-62845

Also some great estimates based on previous long distance trips (note comments re disparity between estimates and real trips) can be found here;

https://speakev.com/threads/time-estimates-for-london-edinburgh-challenges.1152/

·
Registered
640 Posts
Very dependent on the car and charging capabilities/availability... looking at the Leaf that is currently driving from Micheldever to Aviemore you can see that yesterdays trip averaged 24 miles every hour when using CHAdeMO rapid charging;

https://speakev.com/threads/our-big-trip-micheldever-to-aviemore.4862/#post-62845
But a chunk of that will be driving North up the M6 on a Friday afternoon...

Actually 40mph for a leaf might be a bit high, unless you are using the first leg to boost the average speed (car pre-charged). But that's partly because I can't remember the last time I drove a long distance without roadworks or congestion, which doesn't help the average speed, but is a plus for range...

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
But a chunk of that will be driving North up the M6 on a Friday afternoon...
Sure but that's part of real life driving in the UK and I guess it highlights one of the huge variables that's not addressed in the OP.

For the record our End to End drive in 2010 was 894 miles and took ~36 hours which equates to 25 miles driven per hour;

http://zerocarbonworld.org/news/zcw-founder-drives-end-to-end-for-20

Improved charging capabilities in the car and public infrastructure would improve on that time today.... but by how much I don't really know :rolleyes:

Are we really only interested in long trips that start in the middle of a summers night, without wind, rain, or charger failure/congestion? ;)

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
We do have to be careful not to generalise and assume the Leaf equates to all EVs. I would say that for the Leaf it isn't far off but for other models, that perhaps have more range, slower or different charging capability etc it will probably be quite different.
Completely agree.

I guess at one end you have something like a Leaf at the other the Tesla, where even for journeys of 170miles, my experience is the average is the same as an ICE, and limited by traffic, roadworks and attitude to speed limits.

It's so rare I do single day trips further than that, but it would hurt the averages badly if I needed to as my car doesn't have supercharging or dual chargers, so I'm limited to 30 miles an hour "refuelling".

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
From memory, we have averaged something like 30mph in our Leaf on longer journeys. The 250 miles from Southend to Neston (Wirral) in July for my niece's wedding took almost exactly 8 hours, including stops. There were four of us in the car.

I have just checked Carwings for 4th July and the total driving time was 8.3 hours and the distance 282.8 miles. Before the main journey we had to take the dog to the kennels, and afterwards one son had to drop another off at a different hotel. From memory, we charged at Toddington, Watford Gap and Stafford., probably about 80 minutes' charging. The Stafford charge I remember very well because we turned up with 0% in the battery, and a tortoise, and exactly 30 minutes later we were back to 80%.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
From memory I did about 420 miles from London to Edinburgh in about 15 hrs... that is about 28mph so perhaps 40mph average is a bit quick.

On reflection then 30mph does seem a more likely average :)

·
Super Moderator
5,896 Posts
IMO we are not going to convince many people into EV's telling them they can expect to travel at an average 30 mph on long trips, most satnavs work out at 60 mph.:(
We would be far better off promoting them for what they are good at and then adding "if needed they can still be used on long journeys"

·
Registered
538 Posts
We recently drove to Warwickshire and it took twice as long in the Ev as it would in a diesel. We always calculated journeys in a diesel at 60mph. I agree with Paul 30mph is a good guess. Charge to 80-85% is the quickest way and then move on if you have enough to get to the next charger.

Reactions: Kevin Sharpe

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
IMO we are not going to convince many people into EV's telling them they can expect to travel at an average 30 mph on long trips, most satnavs work out at 60 mph.:(
We would be far better off promoting them for what they are good at and then adding "if needed they can still be used on long journeys"
Completely agree.

If you think about it, the typical commute's MPH is actually better in an EV because you don't have to stop once a fortnight at a petrol station, but even in a £100k Tesla P85D over 300 miles you are going to lose to even the crappiest 10 year old nail of an ICE in the game of average MPH top trumps.

I guess that's why REX/PHEVs are really catching on.

(But as they don't do a REX for the Tesla, I did the next best thing and kept an ICE ;) )

·
Registered
87 Posts
My average commute mph has gone up since I went EV as I'll happily sit at a higher speed as there is no cost penalty for me as I charge at work for free. So in my Qashqai I would sit at about 60 and accelerate gently and on my Leaf I'll sit at a higher speed and accelerate as conditions allow. My commute is only 27 miles so no range worries even with heating in winter

·
Registered
IONIQ 5 Project 45
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi all, some interesting responses. Perhaps I should have said in my original post that I am only after a rough real world figure so as to decide whether to get rid of my ICE.
We only have one 180 mile journey 4 times a year (No public transport option) and 250 mile journey once a year which we could do by train. So its a bit of a pain keeping an ICE car. So really I asked because we will either hire an ICE 4 times a year or use Ev.

·
Registered
Kona SE
964 Posts
Is this a reasonable rule of thumb figure to estimate a longer journey before you actually sit down and plan it?
I actually plan it and include plan B in case the chargers are down. Check latest charging information on websites before you leave home.

Part of the planning is to plan a meal at a time then you only have slower charging.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
The ideal is not to have to charge during your trip, but only when you want to be stopped up and doing other things anyway. I'd have thought if these long haul itineraries are not included in the calculations then a user who charges at home, goes to work/shopping/whatever, and charges whilst there, and simply drives back home, will be showing an average speed of negligible difference to an ICE...
When I was working as a 'collect and deliver' driver for a local Garage I often checked the figures on the trip computers of customers cars. Rarely did the long term average get above 25 mph. The lowest I found was 16 mph, on a car that had traveled only 260 miles in a full year between MOT's . (A Taxi would have been cheaper)
I once left Worcester Services at the same time as my manager, he was going ahead to do some office work. He normally drove at around 80. I normally drove at 65-70. When I arrived at the garage he was just getting out of the car as I pulled up behind him, after traffic conditions he was 15 seconds ahead of me after 100 miles.
I've just checked my LEAF, I have averaged 26.2 mph over the past 3300 miles, including a couple of longer main roads trips. That average ignores the waiting time for charging, only at rapids, which is normally used in part by 'convenience' breaks!
Drivers seem to over estimate their overall speed what ever the car, the average depends more on traffic conditions than the drivers intentions, or the make of car.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Hi all, some interesting responses. Perhaps I should have said in my original post that I am only after a rough real world figure so as to decide whether to get rid of my ICE.
We only have one 180 mile journey 4 times a year (No public transport option) and 250 mile journey once a year which we could do by train. So its a bit of a pain keeping an ICE car. So really I asked because we will either hire an ICE 4 times a year or use Ev.
For 5 journeys a year, I can see why you don't want to keep the ICE. Do you have a car club nearby ? Citycar or zipcar ? They might be a more flexible option than renting.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
When I was working as a 'collect and deliver' driver for a local Garage I often checked the figures on the trip computers of customers cars. Rarely did the long term average get above 25 mph. The lowest I found was 16 mph, on a car that had traveled only 260 miles in a full year between MOT's . (A Taxi would have been cheaper)
I once left Worcester Services at the same time as my manager, he was going ahead to do some office work. He normally drove at around 80. I normally drove at 65-70. When I arrived at the garage he was just getting out of the car as I pulled up behind him, after traffic conditions he was 15 seconds ahead of me after 100 miles.
I've just checked my LEAF, I have averaged 26.2 mph over the past 3300 miles, including a couple of longer main roads trips. That average ignores the waiting time for charging, only at rapids, which is normally used in part by 'convenience' breaks!
Drivers seem to over estimate their overall speed what ever the car, the average depends more on traffic conditions than the drivers intentions, or the make of car.
In my experience if you sit at 70mph on a motorway for an hour, but then take 20 minutes to travel 3 miles into a town to park your actual average will be significantly lower than you imagine.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
Have you investigated, how far apart are the charge points along your proposed 180 mile trip ?

For arguments sake, lets assume you go 60 miles @ 60mph between charges, your minimum increase in time compared to an ICE is 1h30, but if they are spaced at say 30, 80, 110 and 160 along your route you'll have to stop more. Bringing you up to 2hrs charging, for 3 hours driving, or 36 mph :(

Saying that, only you can decide if you are prepared to rent an ICE car for a day to save 2 hours. I did a quick quote, and for a Fiat 500, the daily rate is £30 ish.

Overall it probably still makes financial sense if you take into account tax, insurance and depreciation, to rent rather than have an ICE sat on the driveway doing nothing if you only need it 5 times a year.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
In my experience if you sit at 70mph on a motorway for an hour, but then take 20 minutes to travel 3 miles into a town to park your actual average will be significantly lower than you imagine.
My manager had one set of Red Traffic lights, I had none.
I normally set my satnav to 50mph for it to provide a realistic ETA.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts