Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know that the range electric cars will be reduced by hills (up of course... not down!) and so it has always been a bit of a lottery when route planning as to whether your chosen route has any significant hills.

Well now you can easily find out the hill profile af you route at:

http://www.doogal.co.uk/RouteElevation.php

My thanks to Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield (@aminorjourney) for bringing this one to my attention.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Absolutely brilliant thanks for the link.
Did a quick route and it works out the terrain and displays it on a graph. It would be great if the Sat Nav companies could include this on their systems. Am I living in cloud cuckoo land now.
Mick

·
Registered
549 Posts
700 miles from Scotland to North Wales and back in a long weekend. Four travellers on board.
It took me a few years to get around to visiting North Wales by EV, and I accept there are some issues around charging. But it isn't as bad as it might look.
Useful reflections follow:
It took four Ecotricity 30 min charges to get the 310 miles there, and three to come home. One of the seven pumps was on #freevend, so the total cost was 6*6 = £36. We drew about 150 KwH in those 7 charges, so I am not complaining too much.
We stayed at Bryn Gwynant youth hostel for three nights, so we charged up overnight on their three pin plug, and chipped in a tenner to them as a courtesy fee for the extra 45 KwH we drew for local trips.
Youth hostel accommodation costs were about £18 per person, per night, and our party of four were in in two private twin rooms, one was en-suite. Not shabby.
The drive each way was exactly 500 kilometers, and there are 4618 metres of ascents and 4602 metres of descents going South, the reverse coming home. That's just short of climbing Mt Blanc (4810 Metres) twice in four days !
Start altitude: 61 metres
End altitude: 77 metres
Maximum altitude: 329 metres
Minimum altitude: 4 metres
Distance: 499.9 km
Total ascent: 4618 metres
Total descent: 4602 metres
Maximum gradient ascending: 15% at 327.5 km
Maximum gradient descending: 17% at 497.7 km

Time driving South: left 9 am, arrived 7 pm
Time driving North: left 10 am, arrived 6.30 pm

1 - 3 of 3 Posts