Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the weather has improved dramatically, one small niggle I have found is the aircon - just not up to the job in hot weather. With the min temp setting being 17, I find it just blows tepid air at me, to no effect. My wife's ICE goes down to 14, then can go one step further onto 'min' and blows air so cold you need a jumper after 5 minutes.

Anyone else suffering, or does mine have a particular problem?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,560 Posts
I’ve had the AC on in our Niro 4 and I was impressed how effective it was despite eco mode. Brought the temp down nicely and didn’t seem to use much power.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
You have a problem, mine could freeze a steak, I have it on 19-21 usually, lowest setting unbearably cold unless it’s 40deg outside, and even then I can’t stand more than 10 min of it.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2021
85 Posts
Our 21 Soul AC would freeze a brass monkeys proverbials off.
I suggest you get yours checked out. 🤔

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the same issue, bought mine in November and when the first hot weather appeared it was clear there was a problem. Took it into the dealers and they confirmed that it needed regassing, which was done FOC as it should have been picked up during the PDI.

It is now excellent as the others have said. Take it back in to be checked.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Another positive quote for the Soul, I could keep milk and butter in good condition in mine so somethings amiss with yours it's not a systemic issue.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the confirmation everyone. Guess I need to take mine in for a look as soon as I get an opportunity.

When it comes to aircon, I seem to be cursed. I cant recall ever having a car where it was as you have described yours is.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Do you have a thermometer?

If so hold over the vent and put a/c on max chill - should be about 5 degrees as it comes out the vent, perhaps a little more. If it’s 12 or so it’s not working

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,744 Posts
Do you have a thermometer?

If so hold over the vent and put a/c on max chill - should be about 5 degrees as it comes out the vent, perhaps a little more. If it’s 12 or so it’s not working
I don't think that is possible?!?! But I would be happy to be proven wrong.

From my experience, 12 to 15degC should be coming out of the vents, in all outside conditions. To know that the HVAC is broken, there should be very little difference between outside temp and what is coming out of the vent.

·
Registered
Soul EV 30kWh 2017
284 Posts
I have just tested mine (30kWh). Ambient temperature 17 degC, the outlet air cycled about a mean of 10.5 degC, but went as low as 9.8.

This suggests the possibility of intelligent control, perhaps to ensure that condensate does not freeze in the heat exchanger. If that's right, the temperature achieved would depend on ambient relative humidity. Today is fairly humid here, so on a less humid day, the system might go to a lower temperature.

·
Registered
Kia eNiro 4+, White
285 Posts
Try owning an old Volvo S70 (or V70). AirCon broke, in a major way every three years (might have been four - it was a while ago). The condenser sprang a leak without fail, almost to the month. Dashboard out job to fix. Owned the car for 15 years - went through a lot of condensers all on warranty or extended warranty. Sold finally as a shed shortly before the aircon was due to go again

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had my V70 for over 10 years, never missed a beat or got an advisory on an mot. AC needed degassing around year 8 or 9, back to freezer temps. Sold to get a Skoda with better economy, which, as it broke down a lot, didn’t go as planned.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
One thing to check is if available is how much power the car pulls under 'max A/C' (either press the button or lower vent temperatures to minimum and increase fan speed to maximum.)

On my Golf in 25C weather the power is 2.0kW peak, minus some car stuff that means the air con is around 1.5kW. The vents blow ice cold.

In 35C weather (which has happened once in the time I owned the car) power went up to 3.2kW, so air con pulling almost 2.7kW. That is a lot of power, capable of cooling an average-sized floor room in a house...

I had the car re-gassed recently, before this it was stuck at around 1.2-1.3kW peak power even in hot weather, because with low gas the compressor doesn't have much to compress and the system runs really inefficiently. Another sign is the passenger vent was far warmer than the driver vent.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good news. Had my first service yesterday and got them to look at the air con. They re gassed it and I now have air con that works well. Too cold now. Brrrrr! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts