Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I believe the new Rugby Services are opening today (30th April). Has anyone visited yet, and if so, how do you pay for using the Ecotricity chargers? Also, are the BP chargers at the fuel forecourt working?

Zap-Map is showing 12 devices with 350kW CCS only. The Ecotricity app is saying to follow instructions on the chargers.

Reactions: booms

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
I believe they take contactless. (Possibly app as well, but who cares about that?!)

I’ll be going back up to Newcastle tomorrow. It’s a bit close to London to need a charge, but I might take the M1 for the sake of popping in.

Reactions: E7EV

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,104 Posts
My biggest concern with new sites now is whether they have ANPR and if so whether they force you to traipse inside to register your presence just to refuel.

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
369 Posts
I believe they take contactless. (Possibly app as well, but who cares about that?!)

I’ll be going back up to Newcastle tomorrow. It’s a bit close to London to need a charge, but I might take the M1 for the sake of popping in.
I would care about using the app if they don't freeze any money in your account that way...

·
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My biggest concern with new sites now is whether they have ANPR and if so whether they force you to traipse inside to register your presence just to refuel.
The six Osprey chargers in the Stratford International Station car park have cameras above them. You get 90 minutes free parking while charging without having to register your vehicle. It did go wrong once, and I got a parking ticket, but Osprey had this cancelled for me. No issues since.

·
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read on the ONTO Community Forum that the Ecotricity chargers are free to use today. So I’ll see you all there later ;)

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,153 Posts
Do the BP units normally have AC on them? Would be especially useful in this location if the Ecotricity ones don't.
Sadly, it seems that BP's 150kW units (which is what I heard are going into Rugby) are also CCS/Chademo only.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sadly, it seems that BP's 150kW units (which is what I heard are going into Rugby) are also CCS/Chademo only.
The economics of HPC at the moment in the UK are not particularly attractive so I can understand the operators not offering AC charging.

·
Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (£50 off one month for both of us)
279 Posts
Also, are the BP chargers at the fuel forecourt working?
I am also interested in knowing the answer to this. Also is it far from the BP Forecourt to the main building?

·
Registered
275 Posts
They were on free vend when I visited this morning but support contactless payment usually. 30p/kWh is the tariff shown, the same as other Electric Highway units.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
834 Posts
Looks great on the pictures i have seen. Looking forward to all service stations being like this eventually!

·
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am also interested in knowing the answer to this. Also is it far from the BP Forecourt to the main building?
No chargers at the BP forecourt. Not even any foundations or road markings indicating a future installation.

This may not be a great issue for me now, as I met Toddington Harper (Gridserve CEO) today and he’s pretty sure they will provide access cards to the Gridserve/Ecotricity network to ONTO customers. In fact he has an i3 from ONTO himself.

In the meantime, I can use the InstaVolt chargers down the road at Welcome Break Corley.

Reactions: WonkoTheSaneUK

·
Registered
Elmo Referral: AdamT50 (£50 off one month for both of us)
279 Posts
No chargers at the BP forecourt. Not even any foundations or road markings indicating a future installation.

This may not be a great issue for me now, as I met Toddington Harper (Gridserve CEO) today and he’s pretty sure they will provide access cards to the Gridserve/Ecotricity network to ONTO customers. In fact he has an i3 from ONTO himself.

In the meantime, I can use the InstaVolt chargers down the road at Welcome Break Corley.
Thanks! Plan to use the services in a few weeks on a trip back from the North.

Only have the BP Pulse card sadly as not with Onto, looks like I may need to pay then! Interesting about the Gridserve/Ecotricity/Onto cards. Onto must get some sort of super deal for access to all those networks!

·
Premium Member
476 Posts
The six Osprey chargers in the Stratford International Station car park have cameras above them. You get 90 minutes free parking while charging without having to register your vehicle. It did go wrong once, and I got a parking ticket, but Osprey had this cancelled for me. No issues since.
That’s worth knowing (I’ve always headed upstairs to the Source London chargers and paid for parking but there’s probably a tipping point at which it becomes cheaper to use the rapids!)

·
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That’s worth knowing (I’ve always headed upstairs to the Source London chargers and paid for parking but there’s probably a tipping point at which it becomes cheaper to use the rapids!)
You could use the Osprey rapids to slow charge on AC (you’ll need your own cable, 22kW socket on side of device) to reduce the charging cost and benefit from the free parking!

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
Called in on the way north this afternoon. The chargers were deserted when I arrived, but 5 other cars charging when I came back half an hour later.

Still on free vend and I got the full 75kW I was expecting.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,153 Posts
I plan to stop off en route to the RZOC Gridserve meetup in 3 weeks time.
I doubt it'll still be on free vend by then though.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts