Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spark on the E Niro Spare Wheel thread posted the following useful information:

"On another thread someone has asked kia about buying a space saver wheel and got the below in response

You could order a full size spare 16" from your dealer as there's no space saver that would be appropriate. We strongly recommend that any wheel change is done professionally using a lift because of the following:

• There are no specific jacking points – only lift points for use on a four point lift.
• Kia do not offer a suitable jack. All Kia jacks are scissor jacks, which we strongly advise against using with an EV (even with a jacking block)
• The jack will be close to the battery pack. Should the vehicle slip for any reason, the jack could penetrate the battery pack and damage it beyond repair. "

If a spare wheel option is difficult, has anyone fitted or considered run flat tyres for the E-Niro, and are suitable tyres available?

·
Registered
741 Posts
I had run flats on a previous BMW - and got rid of them within 3 months. They were horrendous with about the same amount of give as a railway under carriage and they kept getting dragged into the worn grooves in the road. My advice - don't bother, get a subscription to the AA or RAC instead.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had run flats on a previous BMW - and got rid of them within 3 months. They were horrendous with about the same amount of give as a railway under carriage and they kept getting dragged into the worn grooves in the road. My advice - don't bother, get a subscription to the AA or RAC instead.
Thanks very much for your comments. One of my sons has run flats on his mini clubman estate and speaks highly of them - but I am very keen to consider all comments.
The problem with AA/RAC subscription is that you are not only going to have to wait some time for them to arrive, but when they get to you they may not be able to sort you out if tyre companies are closed. Perhaps a subscription to a 24 hour tyre company (if they exist) might be a better option?

·
Registered
133 Posts

"On another thread someone has asked kia about buying a space saver wheel and got the below in response

You could order a full size spare 16" from your dealer as there's no space saver that would be appropriate. We strongly recommend that any wheel change is done professionally using a lift because of the following:

• There are no specific jacking points – only lift points for use on a four point lift.
• Kia do not offer a suitable jack. All Kia jacks are scissor jacks, which we strongly advise against using with an EV (even with a jacking block)
• The jack will be close to the battery pack. Should the vehicle slip for any reason, the jack could penetrate the battery pack and damage it beyond repair. "

If a spare wheel option is difficult, has anyone fitted or considered run flat tyres for the E-Niro, and are suitable tyres available?
Have to be very careful. I suspect any of my local tyre guys would just stick a trolley jack underneath and not even realise it's an EV. RAC/AA/recovery guys only have the option of a trolley jack - any safer than scissors? Why didn't KIA fit a recessed jacking point to minimise the risk of slipping!

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
I think a lot of early BMW runflat tyre users hate them, but they have got better over time.

I had ‘Gen1’ runflats on a BMW back in 2004, and they were pretty harsh.

When they wore out and I replaced them with another set, same brand but later design, they were night and day better.

I think they’ve designed out the harsh ride apparent on early runflats now, and I actually considered them for the e-Golf before I realised an old space saver would fit.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Useful information regarding jacking the car up. I took my rear wheels off the other day to have a good look at the brake discs and clean them up a bit (with marginal success). I used a trolley jack under the suspension arm, with a block of wood. To be honest, you'd have a hell of a job undoing the locking wheel nut out on the road. The locking nut only engages by about 3mm and you have to hold it in place very tightly and use a long lever arm - ended up using a long torque wrench.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Niro EV, 2017 Jaguar F-Type SVR
5 Posts
Between 2004 and 2012 I had four Corvettes and all came with Good Year run flats. These tires were very stiff and didn't handle all that great either. I bit the bullet on the 2012 and mounted a set of Firestone run flats. They didn't handle as well as Michelin Pilot Sports [non run flat], but were much more comfortable than the Good Years.

·
Registered
4 Posts

If you do have a puncture, how on earth are you supposed to get "a four point lift" at the roadside?
Runflats are expensive, give an uncomfortable ride and as far as I am aware, cant be repaired when punctured.

·
Registered
215 Posts

I chose NOT to buy my BMW with RF tires for several reasons...

1. I have never in my life (47 years of driving) experienced a punctured tire... except when I drove over my own nails on my own drive way.
2. Run flat tires does NOT mean you can continue driving without bother on a highway. In fact, you have to reduce the speed to a very slow speed and must change as soon as practical.
3. They are more expensive than normal tires, so for the price difference, I can call for help if I'd ever need it.
4. RF tires are noisier, why should I pay for extra noise when I paid extra for better sound proofed windows...? I want to have as quiet as possible.

Your worries that you don't need to lift the car with run flat tires are false, because...

1. They must be changed, you can't keep on driving with them
2. I believe you should NOT try to change tires if you at all worry about the car tipping. It proves that you don't know how to lift the car so it is best NEVER to do it. Your battery pack would be the least of your worries if you, or someone else gets caught under the tipping car, or between the car and a wall or something else. I have changed tires twice a year on two cars the last 30 years (shifting winter/summer tires yearly) and never ever was anywhere near such issue. Changing tires at a road side is VERY risky, even if you know how to do it, it is best not to do it. However, I know some people do it, ever so often I see people doing it very near the traffic, and now and then some of them are run over by another car. I would never do it, not even on a quiet road. Better to ask for help.

Regarding no jacking points, the four lifting points are the same as four individual jacking points. BMW also did not offer scissor jack to my car. When I asked they said that it's never been used by anyone so they removed from the list and there isn't even a proper storage space for it. The last one I used was back in the 1980's... so I don't miss it. On the other hand, a repair kit is offered, which I paid some extra for because in some countries you must have spare tire, or repair kit if you don't have run flat tires.

In my opinion, RF is waste of money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts