Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Has it started yet ?
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run out of petrol ?

Reading this Audi e-tron manual.

"The gasoline engine is no longer available because there is not enough fuel. Drive immediately to a gas station."

so can you drive with only EV mode and no petrol.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,385 Posts
It would be bonkers if it was designed not to. Imagine having a perfectly viable drivetrain and energy, but not 'allowed' to use it! Ampera definitely allows this, you even get something like an extra 2kWh beyond a normally flat battery when the tank is drained. (couldn't do this 'extra' charge in eetron, not enough battery overhead, but should be allowed to use it if it still hse charge).

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'd be tempted to suggest the instruction really should be to drive immediately to the nearest place where a charge may be obtainable (including the nearest house on the road) before trying to find a "gas station" with any remaining charge one might have at the time when the fuel ran out! Oh, and always drive with the portable charger in the boot/trunk/whatever.

Cheers, Stefan

·
Registered
116 Posts
yes it goes to EV mode only and the EPC and "power limit" indicators come on.
That's interesting, the note (in the handbook) about the EPC light coming on states it indicates either "there is a fault in the engine management system. Drive slowly to a qualified workshop without delay and have the engine checked." or "If the indicator lamp lights up when starting the engine, there is a malfunction in the automatic start function."

Not really clear that "a malfunction in the automatic start function" could be because you've run out of fuel!

Cheers, Stefan

·
Registered
34 Posts
yeah it definitely seems like the car's not supposed to be driven like this... in the EV only mode it kept beeping/warning all the time I noticed the power and handling were limited... and it wouldn't regen either... the car was in a degraded mode for sure but still worked. once i put gas in the car everything went back to normal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts