Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was plugged in overnight to my 16a polar charging socket at home and the car was at 100%. Car was on charging timer which went off at 0630hrs. Went out to turn climate control on whilst Leaf was still plugged in by putting foot on brake and hitting start so dash illuminated. Obviously it won't fully start if still connected. Whatever I tried, I could not get aircon to run cold until I disconnected from house supply. I also turned off timer but this made no difference. It's like because it's at 100% it won't draw anything from house. Tried this at Moto services later when topping up from 30% and air con was running fine under the same circumstances other than being connected to a rapid. Also the same when I tried this at dealer rapid. It worked fine. What am I doing wrong?

Reason I ask is that it was very hot today and was rather warm getting into car plus the power to drop temp used 10% charge very quickly in-conjunction with using a fast road.

Any tips greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
7,509 Posts
Triggering from the app works, only trouble is the gen1 cars are locked to 26 degrees for remote conditioning, which is fine in winter but pointless in spring, summer and autumn. To be honest it's a bit too warm in winter, too.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I have registered for Carwings, I will get the car reset tomorrow then try turning on aircon via remote. I have rules one thing out as just got in car and turn power on without brake press, no green car showing and again air con light on but no cooling. Is this the same for everyone? That kind of makes sense but not if plugged in and want to draw power from external source. If anyone else can try the same as me would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
What's your temp set at? Try reducing to its lowest of 16°C

·
Super Moderator
7,509 Posts
My experience is that the heating/cooling works while connected to a rapid charger, but not while connected to an AC charger.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Part way to solving problem. I got home yesterday showing about 25% and car was on charge timer to start at midnight. I turned off timer and started to charge manually. Low and behold the aircon was fully on and in auto mode. My dash lights indicated I was charging. I have previously tried this when car at 100%. More experimentation required.

·
Super Moderator
7,509 Posts
Don't forget there will be some residual cool/warm fluid if you've been driving. The way to really tell is look at the energy info screen and see I the Climate control system is using power.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Further to my post above about setting the temperature to 16°C. With a Gen 2, you can set the Remote Auto Climate Control temperature via the Carwings Blue button (bottom right) menu system via Settings, set that to the lowest of 16°C. This should work okay for the cooling with the remote mobile App Climate Control?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I was plugged in overnight to my 16a polar charging socket at home and the car was at 100%. Car was on charging timer which went off at 0630hrs. Went out to turn climate control on whilst Leaf was still plugged in by putting foot on brake and hitting start so dash illuminated. Obviously it won't fully start if still connected. Whatever I tried, I could not get aircon to run cold until I disconnected from house supply. I also turned off timer but this made no difference. It's like because it's at 100% it won't draw anything from house. Tried this at Moto services later when topping up from 30% and air con was running fine under the same circumstances other than being connected to a rapid. Also the same when I tried this at dealer rapid. It worked fine. What am I doing wrong?

Reason I ask is that it was very hot today and was rather warm getting into car plus the power to drop temp used 10% charge very quickly in-conjunction with using a fast road.

Any tips greatly appreciated
Uk 2013 model right? I notice the same. It appears there has been a fundamental change to the charge system in 2013 model. Not only has it been moved to the engine bay or encorporated some how into the dc/ac or dc/dc modules but it also doesn't allow aircon/heating without charging the battery. If your battery is 100% then the charger cannot activate and so can't power the air conditioning.
If you remotely activate cooling when battery is 100% but plugged in it actually seems to run off battery instead of mains. (Evident by leaf spy slowing less than 281 gids and a drain)
Now I can't quite remember what happened in the 2011 model but I'm sure remote heat could run off charger without charging the battery. I ised to charge to 100% daily then and on activating remote charge the charge light would come on, on EVSE
I remember that ON ignition setting did require battery to be charging though as otherwise the HV system isn't powered.
FYI the modes of ignition/power are:-
ACC (press power switch once no brake) - gives you accessory power running off 12v battery (radio and 12v accessory socket)
ON (press twice no brake) will give all features other than drive when charging or all features without HV battery when not charging
READY (press once with brake) full run mode using HV transit battery only possible with no charge lead connection

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a June 2014 car whatever model year that would be. Your observations are spot on as it seems to be the 100% charge that was causing issue. Seems strange to be running off battery rather than external power though when at 100%. I suppose the work around is to not be at 100% when turning aircon on. It's just be nice to get in per cooled car the last few days. I just want to be able to do this but not at the expense of car battery

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have the charge timer set to 80% as don't need 100% for my daily commute. That means it will run off mains and charge when activating remote climate in the morning!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds like a plan. I've now had the car a few weeks and have worked out that on days when working I only need charge to 80%. On my rest days then I do 100% as tend to be out and about a bit more. This should give some variety to my battery and also enable remote cooling in a more effective manner.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
It was reported in the USA that the 2014 Longlife 80% mode was removed from the options menu. So is it still there on UK 2014 models?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I like the 80% as it means regeneration works fully. I get a shock when in B mode I back off to and the car doesn't slow down as normal!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts