Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Running/ daytime driving lights

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  EV Rider 
#1 ·
Any way of permanently switching them off?

#3 ·
That's correct, they have to be working if they're fitted on newish cars. Hence the recent recall to correct a software big which sometimes left them off after automatic headlights switched on then off. Don't talk to me about recall software updates........

Reactions: Lee Dalton
#4 ·
Can't imagine why you might want to turn them off though... they do add to safety especially around town.

Am I missing something?

#6 ·
:eek:

So you want to remove a great safety feature particular to the benefit of pedestrians that is permanently active to help you with a very rare situation which, as a good driver, you should be able to manage safely yourself as you are now aware of the risk.

I would much prefer to potentially safe a pedestrian's life by making sure they can see me.

Reactions: LK13
#9 ·
:eek:

So you want to remove a great safety feature particular to the benefit of pedestrians that is permanently active to help you with a very rare situation which, as a good driver, you should be able to manage safely yourself as you are now aware of the risk.

I would much prefer to potentially safe a pedestrian's life by making sure they can see me.
Yup, that sums it up nicely.
I don't see that the lights help a pedestrian in the daytime, as it seems to me that if the step into the road without looking, then it's just Darwinism in action, which all the lights in the world won't help ....
As for 'flashing' people. As the Ampera doesn't have a dual power headlight bulb, the flashing consists of a plastic plate moving to allow a wider beam spread.
I used to have problems with motorists pulling out of junctions in front of me in my Volvo with DRL, so it would be good as a responsible driver to have to option to turn them off when approaching junctions that could be likely to cause problems !
Despite the governments protestations, they actually don't know what is best in the real world !!

#13 ·
I do agree that the opinions of DLRs are very mixed. There have been many reports suggesting they have little effect and yet in Scandinavia they are convinced. Any evidence I have seen suggests they are mainly effective in low light scenarios and not particularly effective in bright conditions. Makes sense... they have a lot of low light in Scandinavia :)

However, once people are mandated to have them and most cars do actually have them then it is shown that not having them does make your car stand out less because then most cars have them. It seems that if no one has them then having them is of doubtful benefit except in low light but once you make them mandatory then it makes sense for everyone to have them.

That said, I see little point in not having them if there is any chance of them being effective at all. It only takes one and that might be one life saved.

Just my view... sorry :)

#14 ·
I do agree that the opinions of DLRs are very mixed. There have been many reports suggesting they have little effect and yet in Scandinavia they are convinced. Any evidence I have seen suggests they are mainly effective in low light scenarios and not particularly effective in bright conditions. Makes sense... they have a lot of low light in Scandinavia :)

However, once people are mandated to have them and most cars do actually have them then it is shown that not having them does make your car stand out less because then most cars have them. It seems that if no one has them then having them is of doubtful benefit except in low light but once you make them mandatory then it makes sense for everyone to have them.

That said, I see little point in not having them if there is any chance of them being effective at all. It only takes one and that might be one life saved.

Just my view... sorry :)
Dont get me wrong, in low light conditions I am always early to put my lights on, but I firmly believe that on a bright sunny day, people are still not used to seeing lights on a car in the daytime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.