Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
My Evezy.co.uk referral code: b4552
Tesla Model 3 SR
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks..

I was reading @aminorjourney 's report on her Chevy Volt issues here: https://transportevolved.com/2014/1...ability-takes-dive-becomes-haunted-halloween/ and noticed a reference to rust on the crossmember inside the fuse box area inside the car.

So, I went off and pulled off both of the side covers on either side of the dash on our 2014 Ampera (built late 2012) and sure enough - mine are covered in rust (worse than Nikki's)!

I've sprayed a little ACF-90 stuff on and rubbed it in which should hold it at bay for now (it doesn't get wet) but I'll be having a moan come service time..

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe.... But a supposedly brand new car? Our VW isn't like it... Not that I'll keep the car for ever - it's not a museum piece - but it's a little bit poor I thought.

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spoke to a colleague who works on vehicle interior development just now and he seems to think it's pretty normal on most cars and won't ever become a problem due to low moisture levels inside the car due to the heater. The fact it sat for a while without heat probably accelerated the original surface rust

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I bet the shipping across the Atlantic didn't help, either! I would worry if there was enough moisture to tarnish some of the electrical connections to dash modules. It would certainly give rise to intermittent bad behaviour if so. Otherwise I would not be alarmed unduly.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I have put that off for a rainy day ;)
It was too nice to depress myself over a rusty car !

Will take a look during the week, but I have every confidence that it will be flawless :D

·
Tesla Model 3 SR
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still love my Ampera :) It might not be the last word in quality screwing together, but as a concept, I still think it's untouchable, especially for what we paid (i.e. a LOT less than an i3)

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
My home built EV from an ICE kit had a cross member under the dash that supports the steering etc which was bare steel.

The designer used to work for Jaguar Land Rover and told me it was quite normal because it is used as a main ground and leaving it unpainted allowed multiple ground wires along its length.
I think my M3 was the same underneath.

Needless to say I masked where I was using it for ground connections and sprayed it with SmoothRite metal paint.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I couldn't resist a quick a look! Its very easy to check, just pull off the cover over the fusebox on the right hand end of the dashboard. On mine I did find some very minor spots of surface rust but thankfully nothing to cause concern.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I couldn't resist a quick a look! Its very easy to check, just pull off the cover over the fusebox on the right hand end of the dashboard. On mine I did find some very minor spots of surface rust but thankfully nothing to cause concern.
Just did the same Derek, same result as you. Thats a chunky bit of metal, and even if there was more rust on it than is there it wouldnt bother me much - its unpainted steel and as such is bound to attract some rust depending how much moisture has been in the air inside the car and for how long, just the luck of the draw. Could depend where the car has been stored and for how long.

Reactions: PRO-AMPERA
1 - 12 of 12 Posts