Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I would like to know, is a safety shutter at the outlet of charging station or wallbox mandatory or optional in North America?
Could you please tell me the standard or regulation reference, which I can find this information?

Thanks

·
Registered
166 Posts
North America don't have ev charging outlets. They use tethered charge points only. J1172 (type 1) rather than Type 2 or Type 3 socket outlets, and as such, don't have shutters on their charge points.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, thank you very much for the hint. I think that is the reason, why I can not find requirements for the safety shutter for type 1..
For your information, the mandatory tethered charge points, do you know where does it define?
I suppose you mean J1772 rather than J1172. However, I have not found such sentence inside to say only "tethered" allowed.

Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
North America don't have ev charging outlets. They use tethered charge points only. J1172 (type 1) rather than Type 2 or Type 3 socket outlets, and as such, don't have shutters on their charge points.
Well, thank you very much for the hint. I think that is the reason, why I can not find requirements for the safety shutter for type 1..
For your information, the mandatory tethered charge points, do you know where does it define?
I suppose you mean J1772 rather than J1172. However, I have not found such sentence inside to say only "tethered" allowed.

Thank you

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't think anyone in America has a cable in their car to plug into a charging station like we would do with at type-2 socket. As far as I can tell it appears the chargers are universally tethered unless you are speaking of granny chargers (Nema 14-50 being a higher power version of this). Would be interesting to see if anyone knows any exceptions to this.

·
Registered
166 Posts
SAE J1772 was the original base standard for AC charging of electric vehicles used in USA and its territories, Canada, Japan and South Korea. It defines a tethered plug connector, and a vehicle inlet socket. The official standards documents cost real money.

Internationally, it's all part of the IEC 62196-2 set of standards, also known as EN 62196-2, so SAE J1772 defines the connector that is mentioned in the IEC standards documents as type 1. That same document also defines the type 2 sockets and plugs that we're used to in Europe for AC charging, as well as the Type 3 sockets and plugs that used to be common in France and Italy before Type 2 for charging infrastructure connectors became more common.
Type 3 sockets were always defined to have shutters on the phase and neutral pins, as well as the CP/PP/contactor safety. It seems that the regulators in Italy liked the idea of shutters as well, and I think the regulations there say that public type 2 charging sockets should have some form of shutter mechanism as well. Shutters are an optional component in the IEC documentation from 2016 for type 2 infrastructure outlet sockets.

The reason why Europe and most of the rest of the world has Type 2 sockets is that they support three-phase AC supply, which is far less common in North America and Japan for most domestic, or even commercial supplies.

Start reading at IEC 62196 - Wikipedia and if you really want to, buy the standards documents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SAE J1772 was the original base standard for AC charging of electric vehicles used in USA and its territories, Canada, Japan and South Korea. It defines a tethered plug connector, and a vehicle inlet socket. The official standards documents cost real money.

Internationally, it's all part of the IEC 62196-2 set of standards, also known as EN 62196-2, so SAE J1772 defines the connector that is mentioned in the IEC standards documents as type 1. That same document also defines the type 2 sockets and plugs that we're used to in Europe for AC charging, as well as the Type 3 sockets and plugs that used to be common in France and Italy before Type 2 for charging infrastructure connectors became more common.
Type 3 sockets were always defined to have shutters on the phase and neutral pins, as well as the CP/PP/contactor safety. It seems that the regulators in Italy liked the idea of shutters as well, and I think the regulations there say that public type 2 charging sockets should have some form of shutter mechanism as well. Shutters are an optional component in the IEC documentation from 2016 for type 2 infrastructure outlet sockets.

The reason why Europe and most of the rest of the world has Type 2 sockets is that they support three-phase AC supply, which is far less common in North America and Japan for most domestic, or even commercial supplies.

Start reading at IEC 62196 - Wikipedia and if you really want to, buy the standards documents.
Thanks a lot for your hints. I have checked the SAE J1772 as well as IEC 62196-2 and found the evidence. In the standards, the connector mechanical configurations have vehicle connector and vehicle inlet with type 1 and type 2, but for socket-outlet and plug are only type 2 available. Therefore, type 1 can only be used with tethered plug.

For type 3, if I understand you correctly, the shutter is inside of the plug pins? Is that right?
But dose Italy use type 2 or type 3? I think type 3 is uncommon in EU. Do you know, which countries use type 3?

Furthermore, have you ever seen some shutters in the type 2 vehicle connector? (I mean the charging connector for the vehicle inlet?)

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think anyone in America has a cable in their car to plug into a charging station like we would do with at type-2 socket. As far as I can tell it appears the chargers are universally tethered unless you are speaking of granny chargers (Nema 14-50 being a higher power version of this). Would be interesting to see if anyone knows any exceptions to this.
you are right. I think so as well. I even found the charging cable, which has the type 2 plug and type 1 vehicle connector.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts